1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

For those of you living in Japan, or working there for an extended period, may I ask what exactly you do for work?

2. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Nodding my head the entire time reading this.

My only trip to Hakuba, they said it was 'the worst season in 20 years'... but we had a solid base well into the village.

I can't remember the other few fields we visited, but most had full coverage with just a few runs closed due to avalanche risk.

Rentals and lessons have gone well up in the last 7 years - also recently screwed by the AUD.
    My first trip I clearly recall 300 yen beers at the main joint in Niseko, and at 98:100 exchange rate, it was great. Last year they were 600 yen.

Looking more likely that next year we'll hit up Rusutsu. Accommodation and restaurants is limited at the resort itself, but big fat runway groomers with nice trees in between will work for the skill mix we'll likely have on the trip.

Zee likes this.
  3. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I second Hakone, amazing.
    But it is NOT off the tourist trail at all... Still worth the visit.

I loved Sapporo City more than anywhere i think i've ever been in the world.. But it was solid snow season when i visited.

sanjay likes this.
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I didn't like Hakone that much, not many locals and a lot of tourists,Tokyo city at least has some balance. I also struggled to find much to do there that wasn't just tourist stuff that I didn't really like that much. (Maybe I missed something important)

I loved Nikko however, I wish I spent more time there.

5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Tokyo was good, but my least favourite place i visited.
    Osaka is tonnes better and Hokkaido is amazing.
    I think i liked Hakone because it wasn't good weather, couldn't see a thing mostly, snow and low cloud and just cool as on the lake and ropeway. Actually so much snow the trains got canned we had to walk a long way. Pretty fun really, have not been to Nikko will look it up.

6. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

I liked Tokyo more than Osaka, but then again I spent most of my time in suburban areas instead of the main city area....Shibuya, Ginza and Shinjuku area were way too overcrowded and touristy for me. Didn't venture too much into Osaka suburbs so maybe I haven't got the full experience yet

Nethiuz likes this.
  7. Zee

Zee Member

Agreed - I've been to Tokyo a stupid number of times, and every time I go, I wonder why I did so, when I was having such a great time in Osaka the day before.

Not that Tokyo is horrible or anything, Osaka is just so much better.

Z...

Nethiuz likes this.
  8. mtma

mtma Member

I guess it depends on your area of interest.
    Hmm, off the tourist trail tends to have at least one of: hard to get to or time (some country experiences would really be easier by with a car), niche (anime pilgrimage anyone?), questionable quality, plain weird.

I've only been around to a few places in total as they tend to have the first point and end up being a bit hard to itinearise without using heaps of time on something that might not really have been that worth it.

Ise for example, you have Ise Spain Village, a totally made up Spanish theme park and an obvious cartoon themed mimic. It may be an excellent family-time experience or your kids might hate it thinking you took them to the counterfeit Disneyland.

P.S: I haven't been to Ise Spain Village, only have heard some stories about its oddness.

I suppose if you had a theme in mind that might bring in some less than random ideas.

ED- This tour requires someone with good Japanese, essentially interpreter level:
    https://www.gaikaku.jp
    But you know what, you're going to have to be pretty into it to drag your family to a giant underground concrete box. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  9. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Oh boy, this has been on my todo list for years. Alas my language skills are about "ordering food, beer, and asking for the bathroom" level.

10. Zee

Zee Member

Nah... Just go full "The talk of the hand and the foot" mode.

Whilst the default language of most European travelling to other European countries, it still works remarkably well, even in Japan.

Z...

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I cannot disagree more. Osaka for sure has some interesting places, but as a city it is no match to Tokyo. With a population of just 2.6 million, Osaka simply does not have the gravity of a metropolis like Tokyo. You feel it everywhere in Osaka, the city life is more like that of a midsize provincial capital. And in my opinion, is it not even "charming" like e.g. Kyoto. There isn't anything "special" in Osaka. On the other hand the vibrancy and variety you feel in Tokyo compares to cities like Paris, New York, London, or Shanghai.

12. Strifian

Strifian Member

I've looked all over the internet for proof that Chiko rolls ever existed in Japan but I can't find a single thing, has anyone ever heard about Chiko rolls ever being in Japan?

edit: チコロール!! Chikorōru!! It existed, but do they still exist? Were they eaten the same as they are here? They don't have fish and chip shops do they? My god I thought this was a myth for the longest time

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  13. ChaoS-GoD

ChaoS-GoD Member

OMG this is amazing! Wife and kid would hate it for sure, but wow I would love to be left alone there for a few hours practising Naruto run. :lol:

Don't have so much as to a theme, but just a few criteria:
    • Traditional 'old-time' Japan feel
    • Family friendly/kids friendly
    • Can access by train without spending ridiculous amount of time aboard
    • Doesn't cost an arm and leg - e.g. ryokans in famous tourist spots
    Edit: for context, I have been to many off the tourist trail places myself, but that was 10+ years ago and I was backpacking. Favourite place by far was Amanohashidate in northern Kyoto prefecture.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    chainbolt likes this.
  14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ronald Reagan likes this.
  15. LayZ

LayZ Member

Trip going well so far, does anyone know of any onsens near gifu with private baths that you can book/attend?

Googling is not providing much insight.

Can also highly recommend the Toyota Tatsumi Plant tour from Toyota Keikan museum if you are near Toyota.

16. mtma

mtma Member

You're in the city right? I think there are some, though never tried.

http://www.hotelpark.jp/english/spa.html#yama

https://www.geihanro.co.jp/hotspa/ (good lord over $1000 a night on google right now.)

Looks like this place has day plans and also one includes a reserved bath (last plan):
    http://www.mizunowo.co.jp/dayplan/index.html

There's possibly more but some of them don't even have English websites for day stays.

I have a feeling most in the city won't provide a private bath reservation without a stay. If you're really craving for it I guess you might be better off doing a trip into the mountains to an onsen town?

17. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

You're assuming everyone wants to be in a super big city?
    No thanks.

Tokyo is awesome though and I did like KL very much as well considering I'm not a fan of large cities.
    Whilst I'm on a roll, Singapore and Hong Kong suck balls.

I still preffered Osaka over Tokyo (Sapporo was the best) but I haven't spent enough time in either to completely get a full grasp of either.
    My partner is from Yokohama which is pretty amazing, she hates me for calling it a suburb of Tokyo but it really is.

I'd rate almost any foreign city over every single Aussie capital city, we have no idea how to do anything right.

coolroy and Ronald Reagan like this.
  18. LayZ

LayZ Member

Yeah, staying at one with a real nice public bath. It is dead here so I will ask staff if my partners tattoo is ok.

While we are talking about cities I am really not a fan of Tokyo, too big and to me feels kinda lifeless for some reason.

Personally I have quite liked Toyota and Utsonomiya, could see myself living in either.

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I agree

I don't want to spend half of my holiday in a line, in huge crowds and fighting just to do something enjoyable. Tokyo lines were insane, I can't believe how willing they are to stand in lines for hours.

Tokyo was fun but I think I'll try and spend a lot less time there in the future just so that at the end of it, I'll feel like I had more of a holiday, rather then a 9/5 job of standing in a line.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Saitama is underrated. If you want to get a sense of true suburban life not too far out from Tokyo, it’s your best bet. I stayed with a home stay family there, near Omiya station area, and thoroughly enjoyed it - they had a Christmas party and everything where I got to meet their extended family and friends.. really felt like it was my home (at least for a day :p). Apparently there’s a cool train museum there too for you rail lovers