1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Tinian

Tinian Member

I agree with this. No idea why people would select Osaka. Tokyo is one of the great cities of the world. If teeming masses of people don't tickle your fancy (and I can understand why), then the alternative is surely to sit in an onsen in Kyūshū, or ski in Hokkaidō, a beach in the Ryūkyū islands etc.?

chainbolt and Nethiuz like this.
  2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Hokkaido skiing or not, it's a must visit. Christ i loved Sapporo and every surrounding town.

3. forged.

forged. Member

Ironically, I recently visited both Osaka and Tokyo in December, and enjoyed both, but I'd say I had a better time in Osaka. Lots of interesting little places to visit. To each their own!

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. coolroy

coolroy Member

Just found out my oldest son & his wife have today cancelled there upcoming trip back to Japan citing risks re corona virus.

It is understandable given the large number of international travel horror stories in the news at the moment.

Also I would be concerned myself in part due to the large number of Chinese tourists that frequent Japan.

My guess is they will reschedule a trip to Japan once things settle down.

5. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

why hasn’t japan banned them yet? Just like many other countries have. Chinese tourists are the most selfish in the world... they travel even when sick without a care for anyone else

6. coolroy

coolroy Member

Unfortunately have to agree Chinese tourists are the most selfish in the world, as per example below.

Watch who bothers to use the hand sanitizers before using the buffet's & or fails to use the tongs when serving themselves, no prizes for guessing who.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51231593

Coronavirus: Chinese embassy in Paris finds woman who 'cheated' checks

The Chinese embassy in Paris has tracked down a woman from Wuhan who said she took tablets to pass airport health checks.

The woman
    boasted on social media that she had been suffering from a fever, but managed to reduce her symptoms with medicine.

She later posted pictures showing herself dining at what she claimed was a Michelin-starred restaurant in Lyon.

The embassy has now confirmed that her symptoms are under control.

Ronald Reagan likes this.
  7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Japan hasn't closed their borders to China?

8. coolroy

coolroy Member

All I can find so far is that group bookings by chinese tourists appear to be banned, but I cant seem to find any restictions on individual chinese tourists wishing to visit Japan.

9. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

no, and they won't do for political and economic reason.

10. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

See my comment above. Japan depends on China more than on any other country. Exports, investments, real estate market, tourism - and then you have politics.

11. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

That is crazy.. especially with the olympics coming up.. imagine if there's a big outbreak... Olympics cancelled...

coolroy and Ronald Reagan like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Still half a year away ... but it is a concern.

Because you have no clue about the situation in Japan, so, I would better not comment about this. The situation is anyway "fluent", the administration is now considering travel restrictions from certain countries, but nothing has been implemented yet.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  13. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

What is the attitudes of the locals towards the potential risks? Surely that cruise ship must be all over the news

coolroy likes this.
  14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Locals are too busy trying to find face masks for their hay fever. :Pirate:

Arctic_Silver08 and chainbolt like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It is, but not that much. From my balcony, I can almost see it by the way.

But, see my earlier post about the Japanese "attitude". They do not panic.

It's more like that Japanese companies are now starting to suffer from the impact of the virus, in many ways.

I was supposed to go for a TV commercial shooting to Florida in April. We had secured the location, talents, cars etc. Just today I was informed that the location (which is a large entertainment and sport training complex) has started to refuse entering travelers from China and Japan.

16. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

America banning Japanese too?

17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Not in general, I assume, such as at immigration/customs. But this specific company/venue is refusing entry to my team of 20 people (talents, director, camera, best boy etc), although they are losing money - and that would have been for a shooting in April. I call this hysteria. The number of cases in Japan is still extremely low. In fact, if you consider the US cases from the ship, that are now back to the US, they have more infections cases than Japan.

18. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Keeping a close eye on Japan cause I got a holiday lined up later in the year LOL... if disneyland can be empty , that would be ideal haha

19. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It won't be empty, but far less crowded than usual.

20. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

COVID-19 cases are climbing pretty hard in Japan right now (South Korea spiking too)... :(

Capture.PNG