1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It looks like the infection rate in Japan is sharply declining

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I got mine. They are very small. And if wash them, they become even smaller.

3. miicah

miicah Member

At this rate my trip in October may still go ahead. I was 80% sure it wasn't going to happen a few weeks ago, but with how Aus and Japan are going things are looking up.

4. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

At this moment no foreigner can enter. I think this will stay in place until June, because the "emergency" status will be prolonged for another 4 weeks.

Assuming they lift the ban, would you go, even if they keep the 2 week quarantine requirement in place?

5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

2 week quarantine to enter.. and 2 week quarantine at your home country. ... not worth it.

i got a trip booked in october also ... i will definitely try and cancel or rebook for next year.. even if we find a vaccine by that time... i think the virus should die out by then.

chainbolt likes this.
  6. miicah

miicah Member

No, would mess up the timing significantly. This was the major sticking point left in the plan going ahead.

At this stage though, it's too far out to cancel things as I won't get a refund on flights. I could cancel all my bookings on booking.com (no deposit there) but I don't think Airbnb would give me a refund.

7. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I understand, if you don't get a refund for an October ticket. Airline will assume that at that time any ban will be lifted. Let's hope this will actually be the case.

8. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Only 88 new cases on Saturday, 37 of them in Tokyo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  9. ViSM

ViSM Member

Good to see some decent progress being made

10. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

And good demonstration about the impact of a lockdown. Initially they went only after clusters, but when it became clear they cannot contain the outbreak with this approach alone, they declared at the beginning of April a lock down and 2 weeks later the infections started to decline.

11. Boneman

Boneman Member

Went for a solitary walk yesterday for about 2 hours in the sun, was beautiful. However wearing the mask generated a lot of extra heat, it might be triggering some heat exhaustion in kids/older ones this Summer.

12. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

In particular for jogging. Everywhere they tell you now to wear a mask if you jog. On NHK, they even showed a clip demonstrating how the droplets from a heavy breathing jogger hang behind him for 10 meter like a banner.

Quite difficult to avoid a mask in lovely Japan. But I can't run with a mask, so I am carefully looking for a course where I'm almost alone.

Nethiuz likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

State of emergency lifted in all but 7 prefectures. Now we wait and see what will happen.

I still did not get my cash handout.:(

14. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Mt. Fuji to be closed in summer due to coronavirus

[​IMG]

Anyway, I doubt there will be much tourism this summer in Japan. ATM tourists are not even allowed in.

15. miicah

miicah Member

Well I just received an email from Jetstar offering a credit on my flights. That just leaves AirBnb to decide if they are going to refund my deposits.

16. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Credit means what? A refund, or a voucher?

It looks like my flights with Thai Airways TYO/BKK/TYO will not be refunded, either way :sick:

17. miicah

miicah Member

Yes, a voucher. Which is not the best, but we have some other holiday destinations planned so it won't go to waste.

18. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Good, because the entry ban for foreigners is still in place, and it seems it will not be lifted any time soon.

miicah likes this.
  19. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I got bookings with JAL in oct ... nothing happening to Japan Airlines is there? I think I'd at least want some vouchers..

20. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It seems JAL is ok at this moment. JAL went through a major restructuring program some years ago, and it seems they were in reasonable good shape when the crisis started.

Not sure about October. I would expect that the ban for incoming foreigners is lifted then. But maybe they keep the 2 week quarantine?

hippyhippy likes this.