1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Thanks to COVID-19 my company has decided to shut down the office and move towards fully-remote work. As a result, I'm taking the opportunity to move to Osaka, into a bigger place in a friendlier city. Silver linings, ne?

2. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Silver lining is good.

But I very much disagree about "friendlier" city. :D

3. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

That's because you're a smug elitist from a big city. :D

Osaka is still my favourite place up there, although if I had the opportunity to move back to J-land again, it would probably be elsewhere, probably closer to the filthy elitists in Tokyo...

chainbolt likes this.
  4. munka

munka Member

Step One, call out big city elitists
    Step Two, move to a city with over 19 million people
    Step Three, ...?

5. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

My pick personally would be Kyoto, smaller city and one I'm most familiar with.

coolroy likes this.
  6. Tinian

Tinian Member

Much friendlier. Although if I could work remotely in Japan, I'd probably move to Shikoku.

7. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Kyoto is indeed the real alternative to Tokyo (and Osaka).

Kanto is going by the way into the second lock down as of Friday this week. :(

8. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

It's about infiltrating the belly of the beast, to bring them down from within.

(also just facetious commentary to tease Chainy because it's fun, and I love Osaka, and 'Osaka vs Tokyo' is always fun, even though I would happily move to the Big T.)

How DARE you.

Although yes, Kyoto would be very nice to live in. Although I'd also settle in Nara for that sleep country town feel, y'know, outside of the Todaiji tourist epicentre...

coolroy likes this.
  9. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I quite liked the areas between Osaka and Kyoto for house / townhouse living, while still 10-15min to the heart of the city. Something similar to Yamazaki, on the edge of the forested mountains and walking distance to the station eould be ideal.

I have a friend that lives near some terraced tea fields in outer Kyoto, very nice spot if one enjoys hiking in the mountains and still a reasonable commute to the city.

coolroy likes this.
  10. proffesso

proffesso Member

agreed. 8 years in tokyo, I never felt the people unfriendly. i loved it.

chainbolt likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It is the same difference between big cities and small countryside towns and villages that you have everywhere. The less you know the people around you, the more "distanced" you behave. And as you said, it does not mean "un-friendlessness". I must say though, that the difference in behavior between the mega cities and the countryside in Japan seems to be bigger than what I remember from Germany. Just 50 km away from Tokyo you feel sometimes back in the 19th century.

12. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Just because I can't help myself, starting very early planning for a ~Feb 2022 trip.
    Likely flying into Osaka this time, but thinking about heading down towards Nagoya for a few days as haven't been any further south than Miyajima previously.

Any must-do's down that way?

13. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Is this your first trip?

14. TheWedgie

This will be my 9th trip. Will be first trip for a couple of the group, and 2nd for another couple.

Attempting to strike a balance between hitting the usual tourist traps for the new ones and going somewhere new for the others.

15. mtma

mtma Member

Wait you mean something else than Nagoya right? As Miyajima is a way more south (well west really) than Nagoya

TheWedgie likes this.
  16. TheWedgie

Yes. Few too many sherbets. I mean Fukuoka.

17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

well, if you are down to Kyushu, Kagoshima is interesting, with a trip to Mt. Sakurajima, and fantastic is the area around Mt. Aso (close to Kumamoto). It's a gigantic 100 km caldera with small towns and active volcanos inside.

TheWedgie likes this.
  18. Zee

Zee Member

Seeing pics of plenty of snow on the ground from a friend in Tokyo, and I have to say, the weather really did pick a crappy time to go all awesome with snow. Was in Hakuba about this time last year, and it was a brown grass and muddy mess mostly. Here's to hoping for next year...

Z...

19. TheWedgie

Cheers - have pencilled in 2 days for something new down that way - the group I'm taking this time are pretty keen for just wandering around the sights and eating food.

Tell me about it. Struggling with seeing all the snow posts and after a shitty trip to Heavenly last season, Niseko pretty disappointing the year before that, I'm having massive withdrawals - hence planning 2022 trip.

Don't think we'll go back to Niseko/Rusutsu though... would love to hit up a smaller area but rentals for the few newbies in the group may be problematic.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  20. Zee

Zee Member

I think we're going to check up North around Sapporo, well, all things being equal. I expect an epic shit fight, and thu-da-roof pricing for every holiday destination on the planet the second we can travel...

Z...