1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Unfortunately, this will happen for sure. Flight tickets and hotels prices will go through the roof due to massive demand while supply has been reduced. I also expect that in particular domestic travel in Japan will sharply increase.

For now already, prices for hotel accommodation in Japan are not down, as I originally expected. I am currently planning an onsen trip to Izu or Kinugawa in February, as soon as the state of emergency is lifted. No special offers or discounts. Some hotels have closed, and it seems the remaining are well booked.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Zee

Zee Member

It's kinda why we're placing a few bets while there are some sales. Most of them allow rebooking (which I expect to be useless if everything opens up within 2-3 months of booked dates, but at least they'll be useable for 24 months, and we're pretty flexible with travel.)

My 9yo has gone full Jaan mad of late, too. She's into all the anime she can get her mitts on (I'm actually even enjoying watching a few with her - including Demon Slayer (can't remember the Japanese name all of a sudden). She was fairly in to it on our last trip. On our first trip with her, about two years ago she was only really interested in the theme parks (Universal etc), though I dragged her to a Snake cafe in Tokyo, and a few other places, along with taking her to a few Wagyu places, and she started showing more interest, especially seeing so many of the girls all dressed up Lolita and anime style.

Now, she's full anything-Japanese mad. Anyway, for now, we make do with pics from friends and Netflix...

Z...

3. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The only change I have realized is that many Japanese hotels seem to have changed their cancellation policy due to the COVID-19 situation. My booking in Nasu for the second half of February can be cancelled until 24 hours before arriving without cost. That gives you flexibility for your planning.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Zee likes this.
  4. Tinian

Tinian Member

Hopefully the ropeway is functional again. Due to increased activity in 2019, we couldn't get any closer than the shrine. If you're in that vicinity you should make the effort to see Takachiho Gorge.
    Are you travelling in winter? Apart from the obvious Sapporo Snow festival, the Otaru light festival is worth the trip too.

Zee and TheWedgie like this.
  5. Zee

Zee Member

That's the plan, I'm a bit of a ski freak, and the family are starting to get in to the snow thing, despite putting on beanies and ski jackets when the temp plunges to a chilly 23ºC...

Z...

6. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Pity that tourists are now allowed in now, because this year we have more snow than I remember. Now, even heavy snow fall in the Kanto region.

7. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, it actually seems to be a good season just about anywhere this season - and very few can go! My friends in Italy and the US are non stop posting pics of giant snowflakes.

Z...

8. mtma

mtma Member

Been watching livestreams of concerts to get my Japan fix lately.

Really weird, now that they're in increased spread controls one of the limitations was the crowd on site isn't allowed to cheer/use loud voices - really screws with the crowd energy atmosphere!

Also production values of the livestreams varies a lot, some are pretty crap and others have been pretty innovatively taking advantage of a livestream environment.

9. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The state of emergency has been extended for Tokyo and other major prefectures for another month. My skiing vacation in Tochigi is gone. :(

10. coolroy

coolroy Member

I guess with 121 new deaths in Japan this month, not being able to ski this season is fairly low on the list of priorities for most?

The number of people wanting to take holidays interstate with all the risks of covid here in Australia also surprises me, & we are at present in a far safer position than most countries.

Hopefully if the Tokyo games go ahead we won't see a repeat of a new wave of covid for Japan.

Not sure if Australian athletes should be allowed to go to the games to be honest, because the risks & costs of there possible infection on their return to Australia at this stage is way too high.

Just locking down parts of Perth/ peel region here in Western Australia cost the WA economy an estimated 120million AUD$.

Never mind the damage to business confidence & mental health concerns etc.

Japan is our first destination of choice, however with covid strains mutating, the lack of a vaccine that is close to 100% protection it is looking unlikely that we will get to travel again to Japan in our lifetime...:(

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

True. But then, the hotel at the ski resort just informed me that they open for the weekend 20/21 despite the state of emergency still in place. I think I will go.

I have very mixed feelings about this. In Europe all talk is now - despite currently declining infections - about a 3rd wave in summer as result of the rapidly spreading mutations. That might also happen in Japan - just when the games are supposed to run. I think they should cancel the 2020 games for good now.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  12. coolroy

coolroy Member

Stay safe...:shock: but also please remember how might you feel if you end up inadvertently contributing to someone's poor health outcome.

With covid here in Australia we have seen all to well how far the virus can spread both in distance & numbers in such short times.

Unnecessary travel needs to be limited where ever possible imho.

Coming from a seasoned traveler that's some what sobering news..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    chainbolt likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Massive quake today. 7.1 magnitude, again Fukushima. Pretty heavy shaking in Tokyo as well.

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Yea felt like the highest shindo since the 3.11 quake. Not as intense but went on for about a minute.

I guess it must be worse for you guys up in those fancy buildings. ;)

15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

There was a lot of shaking, but not comparable to 3.11. On 3.11 I was in office when it happend. That high rise was from the 1980s, with no seismic Isolation. I thought I am going to die, that much did the building move. Yesterday, in the 46th floor was different. This building has seismic isolation and hydraulic shock absorbers.

16. Boneman

Boneman Member

I'm still living in the 80's bro, literally and mentally. :p

Glad we're all ok, I better call Mum today or she will see the news and panic.

coolroy likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The 1980s have been a very happy time for Japan. :)

I would at any time give my "seismic isolation" to have them back.

coolroy and Boneman like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Weekend trip to Nasu, skiing was cancelled, too warm already.

20210222_122805.jpg 20210221_114657.jpg 20210221_120003.jpg

Sankari, SKITZ0_000 and Boneman like this.
  19. Zee

Zee Member

20. Boneman

Boneman Member

Put some masks on those Jizos plz.

[​IMG]

Sankari likes this.