Japan? Japan!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by chainbolt, May 29, 2012.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Without wanting to turn this in to a COVID thread, there will simply come a point where people either riot, or things just gradually get back to normal. We simply can't go on like this, too many lives are affected negatively in ways that pretty much lead to death anyway. Suicides are up, people with no jobs/income up - don't forget, the death rate for starvation is 100%.

For those two reasons alone, there will be very rapid development of treatments and vaccines. In the end, it is likely to stick around, but you can't stop the world forever for a virus like this - it's not Ebola.

I'm personally betting on 2022, and live in hope, though i'd be happy to just drive down the mountain and take the kids to a beach, plenty of secluded beaches here in the Philippines.

Z...

2. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Have you been paying attention to news updates at all?

COVID-19 vaccination – Australia's COVID-19 vaccine national roll-out strategy | Australian Government Department of Health

Coronavirus (COVID-19) health alert | Australian Government Department of Health

QANTAS AND JETSTAR PREPARE TO RESUME INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS FROM LATE OCTOBER (qantasnewsroom.com.au)

It's not long now, it seems that those who want to be vaccinated will have the opportunity by ~ October and as such, International travel from Australia will begin to resume. So only another 6 months at this stage, if everything goes to plan.

3. Zee

Zee Member

I think you may have missed reading the post I was replying to. I'm very aware of what's going on vaccine wise - I was pointing out the fears about mutations, and the fear of no more travel during the life time of the person I quoted.

Z...

SKITZ0_000 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It looks like that 2022 will see a return to some sort of normality. Personally I hope that Japan will lift travel restrictions already for the xmas / year end season. I haven't seen my hometown in Germany for years.

Zee likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, this thing will just need to work through for a couple more years. We have to remember we are only one year into this pandemic. I would say by 2022/23 we see a return to some sort of "normal" that we were previously used to.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Am still working on my Japanese language speaking :D

7. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Speaking isn't that difficult. The challenge is writing and reading, considering they use and mix 3 generic systems for writing and even mix them up with the Latin alphabet.

fredhoon likes this.
  8. mtma

mtma Member

I think this really depends on whether speaking stops at the oral delivery or whether you consider it to be spoken communication. I find adjusting formality and the non-spoken mannerisms are actually rather challenging - and not just the formal kei-go as such, adjusting down or up on hierarchy or changing it depending on the impression you want to deliver is really not easy. Especially now I rarely use it my adeptness has regressed considerably.

Also informal social Japanese (lingo, essentially) is very difficult to catch and look up - this is probably where conversation partners are really helpful.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  9. Boneman

Boneman Member

I just copy the kids and JK's, not good for your formal situations but suits me fine. :p

10. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Same here. Kids are a very good source for informal social Japanese. On the other hand, I never use Japanese for formal conversation in business, or otherwise - it's just too "dangerous". You misspeak easily, and on the other hand your partners assume you 100% understand them.

Boneman likes this.
  11. mtma

mtma Member

Yes indeed it is risk fraught, but in a certain way of thinking you're just handing off the danger to them instead - perhaps it's appropriate for the situation that really just depends. As long as both sides are understanding that there is a communication barrier up front seems to be the biggest thing.

Boneman likes this.
  12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i recently went through keigo... and oh man was that painful. i still need to get a grip with the basic grammar. my mind just goes blank sometimes.

13. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Bring in the police. One of earliest advices I got from a (Japanese) friend after I set foot on this blessed land: "When they stop you, always be very polite, but never try talking in Japanese with them." :D

14. mtma

mtma Member

Haha very true! Although I've never had such an experience that's definitely one of those times where you just keep with what you know best and let them use their resources to interpret.

chainbolt likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I am driving a lot, and in particular during my initial years, not being familiar with their way of monitoring traffic and "revenue collection", I was actually quite a few times stopped (yellow line crossing and U-Turn at certain "trap points"). More than 1 time they let me go, avoiding the trouble and time calling in an interpreter and have a lengthy discussion, and filling out the ticket form with a strange name. :D

mtma and Zee like this.
  16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Got served a youtube ad for Fukishima (Okuma) tourism yesterday, which was surprising.

17. kogi

kogi Member

Whats the restaurant called where you order oyster, prawn and pork breadcrumb deepfried and they keep coming around and refill your salad?
    Trying to find a place like that in Sydney but don't know what to google

18. Tinian

Tinian Member

Are you just after a katsu restaurant?

kogi likes this.
  19. hlokk

hlokk Member

If it’s crumbed and fried, katsu. If it’s various things crumbed and fried on a stick, kushiage.

kogi likes this.
  20. kogi

kogi Member

Maybe. Lots of places serve tonkatsu. But i want oysters and jumbo prawns as well

Looking for like https://g.co/kgs/YrFLwR but in Sydney