Japan To Get 1Gbps Home Fiber Connections

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by hate-xfiles, Sep 29, 2008.

1. hate-xfiles

hate-xfiles Member

One day downunder

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. caspian

caspian Member

meh.

there's simply no need for such a network. it's like being given a ferrari then being stuck in a traffic jam, what's the point?

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

For typical internet, yes. But it opens the doorway to use the internet just like you would a LAN. Not much storage at home? Meh, setup a VPN and store your files on your mates server across the net.

Firstly though, for us, I'd just like to see Aus getting at least 5Mb or so to each house (exceptionally regional cases aside etc) for a fair price.

4. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

Can Japan's backbone infrastructure actually support 1Gb connections to the home??? Certainly sounds like over kill to me =\

5. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

so they are getting 1gbps connections and i still only have 8000/384?
    ffs i cant even get adsl2. How much would a 3km cat6 cable cost so i can patch it in down in the next town that has it?

but with more people uploading at this speed it SHOULD even out imo.

6. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Have you looked at the difference in population density?

Plus all the required repeaters you'd need ;)

While I'd love greater speeds myself, comparing us to Japan is like one extreme to the other. At least compare our service to Canada or something.

7. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Doesn't their international links have very poor capacity? You might get 1Gbit in the country, but if you try to send data overseas, you'll only get half a Mbit at best, going out of Japan. Even I can saturate my 24mbit ADSL2 connection (sync@22.5) downloading some stuff from the US, I doubt I could do that easily in Japan

8. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Err, we already have 1gbps to the home in Japan.

The actual news is that KDDI is going to do it too, not that its new.

No, it won't be able to handle this, Japanese BB infrastructure is already being pushed hard by bittorrent usage which has resulted in a number of Japanese companies creating limits to how much you can download and upload - still very high by Australian standards (15gb/day upload for me) but its not "unlimited".

Whats this supposed to mean????

Anyhow, the city I live in was lit up in 2006 - we have a population of 496,000 people in a 55km/2 area - thats about 8,900ppl/km/2. The best you can expect from Australia is around 3000ppl/km/2 in the densest parts of the CBD.

Fiber connections are very, very expensive to setup - a typical new connection costs around $400-500 to setup here, and I'm sure the ISP pays more. If you really want speed like this in Australia you can get it where there is fiber laid down, you just pay megabucks for it.

9. Lardman

Lardman Member

TransACT offer 10GBPS here in canberra.

It costs an unholy shitload though.
    (Currently I believe schools are linkedf by 1GBPS)

But yes, it is available.

10. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

That's what I though. There was 1gbps fibre in the cities when I was over there 2 years ago. I lived out in the sticks and I still got 100mbps.

Not sure how unneccessary it is.... I maxed the 100mbps connection out regularly (9-10mb/sec). That's not hitting anywhere near HDD speed limits. As long as you have multiple connections (ie torrents / dload manager) you should be able to still hit some pretty impressive speeds.

Anyone got 1gbps at the moment? Whats the max speed you've hit?

11. FiShy

FiShy Member

we are talking residenital, most carriers offer 10gE or stm-64 links

12. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

I doubt schools have 1gb connections... I don't even know any schools that have 100mbit connections anywhere in TAS, the Uni is the only possibility. Most high schools are on 10mbit connections and those generally aren't saturated.

13. Dopefish

Dopefish Member

err they've already had them in kansai for ages.
    kansai power company provide it.

14. JamalH

JamalH Member

Wish we could just get half of this here.

15. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Even if we did, we'd have ridiculously low limits per month. You'd want some insane monthly limit for that connection cos you'd be just getting what you want, when you want it.

16. JamalH

JamalH Member

Yeah for sure, but even thats gotta be better than what we have.

When it comes to our internet access we are really falling behind the rest of the world.

17. jimboh2k

jimboh2k Member

Just shows the technological extremes though, we're still talking about FTTN and they've got FTTH.

18. leighr

leighr Member

But they've got the population densities that support that sort of infrastructure. According to wiki:
    Japan: 339 people/km2
    Australia: 2.6 people/km2

So, if we assume an even population density (never going to happen, but makes the calculations simpler), if a Japanese telco cables up 1 square kilometre they have a potential 339 customers to try to recoup their investment cost. An Australian telco investing in the same coverage would have to try to get their money out of 2.6 people.

I'd love to have gigabit to my home, but I'm realistic enough to not look at somewhere like Japan and then start complaining about what we have here.

I'm really quite surprised that nobody has started blaming Telstra yet. :)

Leigh.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  19. Pugs

Pugs Member

ok you asked or it.. it's telstras Fault.. Not...

if anyones fault it is the Goverment and our lack of rooting that is at fault.. also lack of population in smaller towns to warrant "high" speed internet out there

considering our population we have fairly good telco infrastructure.... i'm not saying it is the best but it is hardly the worst.

ther eis at least one trail going on in SA at Mt barker of fibre to the node and home... it is a new estate so they can easily justifie the expense to see if it is viable for rollout else where

20. Lei

Lei Member

4-8mbps unlimited ADSL for $60/month is all I want.

:(