Jaycar Delta 3d printer!

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by rainwulf, Feb 27, 2016.

1. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Tools-&-So...r-Power-Tools/Arduino-3D-Printer-Kit/p/TL4100

Just finished building and calibrating it. Sending my test print in now!

Building it was fun, you actually get WAY more nuts and bolts then you are actually need which threw me off for a while.

I didnt't assembly the power supply in the top and im using a seperate 12 volt supply.

After calibrating it which was actually pretty easy, the first print is coming out now. Will post pics when its done.

edit: responds well with slow feed rates. 1/4 feedrate makes it smoooooth.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  2. kjparker

kjparker Member

This thread is useless without pics! :)

3. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Will get some pics tomorrow, the robot i printed as the first print has been "appropiated" by my little girl.

This thing prints AMAZINGLY. The quality is incredible, the kapton tape on the hot bed means just a slight tap is required to remove the print.

Im incredibly impressed. Will post some pics tomorrow with some decent light.

4. aL4n

aL4n Member

pics now!

10chara

5. roamin

roamin Member

agree with this!!!!

6. roamin

roamin Member

also why did you choose this printer over the aldi printer? considering the aldi has a larger print bed?

7. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

had no luck getting one.

also this one was a kit, and building it myself tickled me in the right place.

8. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

9. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

10. yippy

yippy Member

That's a nice looking print :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Just learnt the hard way how to reinsert new filament. The hot end has a lip inside it that can block new filament from going through, so lesson learnt is to sharpen the end of the new filament so that it doesn't get caught on the lip inside the filament path.

12. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

I just use some nail clippers to cut my filament at a angle for easier insertion. You can find designs on thingiverse for filament thumb cutters of types.

13. Azrael

Azrael Member

I printed this last time, works well http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1249929

Cant find it now, so should print another one.

Edit: now that i look closer it wasnt that exact one, but pretty close.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  14. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

Almost looks like you printed a little cyberman :D

15. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Does anyone print anything useful? The only thing i see people printing are little toys you can get from china for 2 cents.

16. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

To print useful stuff specifically for you, you need to know how to do 3D models.

But in an answer to your question yes people print useful stuff, on thingiverse theres a lot of useful stuff from basic hooks to more complex Raspberry Pi cases, USB stick holders etc. If you have a big enough printer you can print whole cosplay costumes.

17. Azrael

Azrael Member

Check out /r/functionalprint for lots of functional printing. But the reason you will see lots of little robots and vases is that they are calibration items, and so showing that your printer is printing good calibration items means that it is working well.
    The rest of the stuff that people print is generally only interesting to one person, the user.

18. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

At the moment im just getting into the hang of it, seeing where there are inaccuracies and things i can adjust. For example, im adding a 12 watt LED downlight to give me some decent light onto the print surface.

I have also picked up some more PLA filament today, i now have blue, clear, black, white, aluminium filled and wood filled.

Im building a dedicated repetier host machine (dual core atom), and a proper sealed storage system for the PLA filament.

The wood filled filament is for doll furniture for my little girl, same with the white, the clear is being used to print clear little figurines and shapes that i will be lighting from the inside for night lights, camping lights.

I also will be printing some attachments for my camping kitchen for light stands, and project boxes. That's what the black is for.

That blue robot went to the Jaycar store in aspley and its being used as a display model :)

To be 100 percent honest, it was a bit if an impulse buy and I really couldn't find that many things to print.. now that i have it though holy crap.

The printer is pretty well active 24/7 now! The accuracy and stability improvements have made a difference. I am now printing at 220 percent faster then my first print, and yet it still looks fantastic and way better then a lot of the stuff i see on the internet which looks like it was printed with a 1mm layer height!

Im still waiting for my tiko, which will also be added to the repetier host.

Also, im sure i will see the aldi printer for sale here, where i will snap that up and modify it as well for higher accuracy and repeatability.

As you can see from the first print, the delta tower can produce some amazing detail, and quickly too as it doesn't have to lump around the stepper motor on the hot end.

I did blow the power supply up that came with the kit, as i dropped it and it went pop.

I had an old dell "desktop replacement" laptop power supply though which supplied 12 volts at 19 amps, and that has worked a charm.

So yea, i have lots of plans. Gonna teach me some sketchup so i can start designing things from scratch too.

19. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

20. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

The only stuff I really print is practical stuff, atm I'm printing a cable chain for my printer but also working on a speaker stand for the hell of it. Last week I printed out a couple plastic bits for some household utensils. Guess I'll get around to printing out some useless junk again soon :)