Jerky operation

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by tculp, Aug 15, 2001.

1. tculp

tculp Member

I tried a plethera of different tweaks to try and eek out some more performance from my PC. All of which were things that I read or was replied to concerning a specific issue in this forum.

At any rate, I could not get the AGP 4x working, and my overall system performance is in the crapper. The mouse "jerks" across the screen, if I use the CTRL button to do a multiple selection of anything (text, files, you name it) the computer makes a clicking sound (same sound if a key is stuck). It even does it while typing a document if you hold a key down.

I reset the BIOS to default settings, I have re-installed the newest 4-in-1's, and the 14.20 Nvidia drivers. No change at all.

I don't know what change I made that brought this on. I really don't want to install Windows AGAIN.......

Any suggestions?

Mobo: ASUS P3V4X
    Processor: 500Mhz PIII
    RAM: 256Mb
    Vid Card: Creative 3D Anihalator
    :confused:

2. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

initial thoughts. The 256mb how is that made up?

14.2 drivers are they not win2k drivers if so u using win2k? 14.4 are win p*/mwe as well as win2k Have you loaded the via 4 in 1 drivers 4.32 at all. and made sure hard drives are dma enabled.

Are you using ata33 cable and got bios setting for the hard drives at udma4?
    Have you viewed the irq listing are anything sharing irq?
    Tony

3. DeLaw340

DeLaw340 Member

There is one thing I did to get 4X working on my P3V4X when I had a G-Force 256 was after I loaded the 4.32 drivers I would uninstal the AGP driver and reinstall only AGP driver from the 4.29
    drivers and 4X would work fine. Don't Know Why that work but who cares. Haven't be able to get the Asus G-Force 3 to work error free in 4X yet but in 2X there is very little preformance loss,
    so I leave it there.

4. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

4.29 came with inbuilt registry hack for agp4x activation. Not sure but does 4.32 still have that?

5. DeLaw340

DeLaw340 Member

I don't know. Right now I have an Asus 8200DEL with the 4.32 drivers and the 4X setting acts up in some games and works fine in others but the 2X setting works great and the prefomance difference was only 12 points in 3D Mark 2001. Not enough to worry about. Maybe one day I will try the 4.29 AGP driver to see if that works, but as good as this card works I don't care.

6. DeLaw340

DeLaw340 Member

They didn't work. Any one have an Idea

7. Robd@killa

Robd@killa New Member

best thing u can do is reformat your drive and start from scratch....
    Start with only the harddisk,cdrom, floppy and gfx card....
    reinstall windows and get the gfx workin then install every component one by one with appropriate drivers....
    Install the 4 in 1 4.32 before anything else
    then install gfx drivers and try 3d mark or something.
    ANother thing....try connecting the hard drive and cdrom on seperate ide's one on primary as master and the other on secondary as masster..

8. DeLaw340

DeLaw340 Member

I'll reformat when I change OS right now it would take 2 yo 3 weeks to reload all the programs I have loaded and 4X is not worth the trouble. I have the two Hard drives on a Promise ATA-100 card. CD-RW on master IDE Zip-250 Slave. DVD On other IDE.
    Reformating might work but I think it is a driver issue as it was with my V6600. Also 4x doesn't allways give you better results over 2X if the drivers dont work right. Thanks for your advice.

9. Toto

Toto Member

Uninstall ACPI, P3V4X works way better without it!!!