Jewellery shoot with Jess [17 pics]

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by ya3, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ya3

ya3 Member

Shoot for a local jewellery designer starring the awesome Jess with Cindy on hair & makeup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--

5Dmk1, 70-200 2.8, 2x 600W strobes (dish+softbox)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

What/Who are you using to host images? It looks to me like they have been compressed quite a lot, as they don't seem all that sharp. And I know you can do sharp... haha. (when I first looked, I thought they were photo's taken of printed photos haha)

Also some of the shots in the first shot seem underexposed quite a bit, the first couple definitely. I can see the look you are going for, but compared to the others in the set, they seem a little "to" underexposed if you get what I mean.

Cheers

3. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Did you shoot in raw format and have you edited these pictures yet?

4. jumpy

jumpy Member

Facebook hosting? I like them, especially the oof foreground elements, they give a nice feel to the images.

5. OP
    OP
    ya3

ya3 Member

Argh, fb is terrible. I've changed the image hosting.

6. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

I agree with this comment.

7. dandanmien

dandanmien (Banned or Deleted)

I think you've tried to make what works in cinematography, in stills - and to be honest, it's not working.

8. OP
    OP
    ya3

ya3 Member

So it looks cinematic. Cool :lol:

What exactly doesn't work? I'm intrigued.

9. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Pictures 3,6,8,9 and 11 - they appear to have distracting foreground items detracting from the picture. Jumps out at me.

First 11 photos appear to be way dark as well. Have you touched these up at all? If so what did you use? From RAW or shot natural jpeg?

Is your monitor calibrated? What appears great to you looks different to us perhaps.

You've got the eye but the pictures just look underdone. And please, I am NOT being a prick, just trying to give honest feedback.

10. Goobers

Goobers Member

If the shoot was one to advertise the jewellery then should the jewellery not be the focus in every shot, several of them have the jewellery lost in the shallow DOF. especially the necklaces.

11. jumpy

jumpy Member

LOL at people thinking he doesn't know what he's doing...

12. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

I Don't agree with that, Showing jewelry off is about wearing it how it's intended to be worn. I would say you should also photograph the model as a model, nothing different. You can see the jewelry in action, if you like what you see and want to look at it up close and personal, go to a store, have a look etc.

I think, as always, he has done a great job. And I don't think he should change anything on the photography side of things.

Haha yeah, I think those people need to look at some of his work. Maybe take a look at his website.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looking good, and the makeup really suits the theme well.

14. dandanmien

dandanmien (Banned or Deleted)

For me, these look like screen grabs from a high-end advertisement. That in itself is a compliment, but as these are stills, there is something missing to the images. The best way I can describe it is 'flow'. I'm expecting motion from each still. As an individual image, they're not strong enough.

Now, assuming the jewellery line is from the same supplier, what is the reasoning behind the different editing/toning?

Composition is perfect, that is why I have likened them to being of a cinematic nature. But as photos, to me, they don't do the job, or rather, they are trying to be something they're not.

That's my opinion as an audience. I actually like each image, but don't find them fitting for their task.

Not sure if that made any sense.

15. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

I think it's about the feeling one would get when they wear these items. It's the setting and saying "look how cool/suave/fun I look in these". For me, this set accomplishes this. Maybe in the situation where they are photos for advertising online they would be closer up, brighter and in focus.

Where this is something that can give someone more credability, it doesn't qualify them to always be correct.

16. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

But perhaps having the credibility in their ability to take Fantastic shots, it would show them to have a solid understanding of their craft. And should not be criticized in a way that implies perhaps they don't know what they are doing.

17. Power47

Power47 Member

i agree with dan 100%, they seem to lack punch, all appear to be soft. 1-13 all seem too dark with too much blacks.

personally i really like 13 but as a set i think they r generally off. certainly not up to ur usual standards.

18. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

In your first post you said some of the photos were "definitely" underexposed. Perhaps you shouldn't tell him he doesn't know what he's doing.

19. OP
    OP
    ya3

ya3 Member

20. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

^^ That's a horrible shot ya3, it's underexposed and still moving :p