1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Jill of the Jungle

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by micsway123, Sep 7, 2021.

1. micsway123

micsway123 Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    baronbaldric, Grant, Pierre32 and 7 others like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Designed and developed by a young fella named Tim Sweeney.

He later did some other boring stuff, like make the Unreal Engine and become the billionaire CEO of Epic Games.

Pierre32, Flamin Joe, Vanne and 3 others like this.
  3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Hey thanks for the heads up, haven't seen this in a very long time. :)

JSmith

micsway123 likes this.
  4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I already have this for the feels.

If I remember right, was this free (or a demo) in the newspaper way back when? Thinking this and Dangerous Dave?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    micsway123 likes this.
  6. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Quite possibly, the first episode was shareware and was allowed to be distributed freely.

7. Vanne

Vanne Member

never played it back then.. probably due to the impact that Jungle Hunt (tm) had on me in my 2600 days..

8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Yeah I never did either. Was one of many games around that time that started requiring a 286 and we were still stuck with an 8Mhz XT clone. By the time we upgraded other new games took focus so it was missed.

9. elvis

I played the Shareware version to death. After having no PC in our house since the Sega SC-3000, Dad turned up with a 386DX40 with math coprocessor one day, and an arm full of shareware games.

Jill was in there, and full VGA colour compared to the EGA games I'd been playing on my friends' 286s was amazing.

I've already got this in my GOG library. Picked it up in a previous sale, but haven't had the chance to play it. Sept/Oct are busy months for gaming, so Jill will get a play maybe when it's a bit quieter.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    DonutKing likes this.
  10. badmofo

badmofo Member

It looked dated I always thought - I was probably comparing it to Keen - but I always loved the art style / game-play / silly sound effects and it still all holds up so well. The weapons were a highlight for me too, interesting and fun.

Classic.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  11. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Same, I gave the shareware version a flogging on our families DOS PC.
    We got a Sound blaster clone a bit later and I loved the adlib tunes.

The version we had would pop up some silly messages about different games on the 'map' screen, basically saying things like 'duke nukem has retired rather than try to compete with Jill' and stuff like that. I also had duke nukem 1 and 2 on this PC and was very confused at that message!

badmofo and micsway123 like this.
  12. power

power Member

i felt sorry for PC gamers when they had to play games like this, haha.

ah, as long as you're having fun I guess.

13. elvis

What's hilarious is that games like this and Commander Keen were born of the same inspiration - PC / MS-DOS devs wanting to try and catch up to glorious console master race and the awesome scrolling power of the (checks notes) 1.79 MHz 8-bit 6502 CPU.

You can totally see why Nintendo just blitzed the entire world when it came to home video games during this era. Jill of the Jungle debuted in 1992, along side Street Fighter II on Super Nintendo (the home port that changed the world after dominating arcades for the year prior). The Megadrive and SNES were in full swing, and were the go-to gaming platforms of the time worldwide.

MS-DOS admittedly got Wolfenstein 3D that same year, which one could argue set the path for Doom and Quake and all PC FPS. But yeah, had Jill been a console platformer of the time, it probably would have been long forgotten as an "also ran" title.

All so fascinating that a somewhat mediocre title on a platform that exploded years later is what makes it stand out, rather than its own merit.

Still, not a bad way to waste 15 minutes when you should be typing an up a school assignment instead. :lol:

14. Vanne

Vanne Member

That's true Elvis, we had better games on the Snes/megadrive/Amiga when this came out. It wasn't untill wolf came out that I actually took notice of the pc.. I think EOB came in 91 and that sealed the end of my non pc days. But yeah I recon I missed keen and all of that just because there were cooler platformers on other platforms I had back (see what I did there? ;))

15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I always felt even when I saw it for the first time that it had a very Duke Nukem 1 look to it with the game being played within a window with all the stats, score etc displayed. Coming from playing Commander Keen where the stats are in a small box in the corner which isn't overly noticeable it was a bit jarring to see and I think gave it that dated feel.

16. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Well yeah, when you're a kid with no money, you make do with what you had!

I would have much rather had a master system and played Sonic but instead my parents bought a PC for their business accounts and 'homework'.

Objectively its not a great game compared to other contemporary titles. I still had fun with it :)

One big advantage of the PC at that time was the vast library of games available for cheap, either through piracy or $5 shareware at the local shops. If we had a sega or nintendo I can only imagine I'd have to make do with one or two games over the course of a year and hope for a new one at christmas/birthday time.

Fitzi and Pierre32 like this.
  17. elvis

So, like, the retro threads are all about great fellowship and positive vibes. I've cleaned a bit of stuff up that I think was just a misunderstanding between good mates.

Platform wars are no fun. Jill was, and still is a pretty cool game.

Anyone playing it at the moment? Any comments past the first episode that was included with the shareware version?

Pierre32 likes this.
  18. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

I never got past episode 1. It was always a game "I'd like to finish one day". There were a ton of strange and creative sidescroller platformers, shooters, slashers, puzzlers for MS-DOS (I always prefered the ones which could run on 286 and had samurai, ninjas, or cavemen as main characters).

One strange sidescroller shooter/puzzle game that always stood out for me was "Metal Mutant" where the French developer Silmarils went completely bonkers creativity-wise. And it got weirder the further you get into the game. Finally finished that not too long ago.

Jill on the other hand seems like a game which will probably stay the same till the end with maybe a new enemy type here and there, kinda like Hocus Pocus. I beat Hocus Pocus last year and it's solid meditative and very repetitive experience. I'm waiting for some grueling project at work to come up so I can get in the same state of mind and play me some Jill after work.

19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Was there ever anything French that wasn't a bit "out there" creativity wise? :p

Metal Mutant is a name I haven't heard for a long time, completely forgot about that game until you mentioned it just now.

baronbaldric likes this.
  20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Commander Keen was fantastic! :p

JSmith