"Join me in the airline lounge" Thread (Offers only - no requests)

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Zee, Jan 1, 2014.

1. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

Speaking of Virgin international lounges...Velocity Gold flying with Virgin Australia to Hong Kong, anyone able to confirm whether I'll be right to get into the Plaza Premium lounge on return in HKG?

Kicked in-between the legs by Virgin twice this year...change to their status credits for the cheap seats.....plus they've canned an early morning flight I've caught for two years. Won't keep my gold after February next year :thumbdn:....and now I end of up a damned twin-prop Qantas flight.

2. wwwww

wwwww Member

I can't stand the whinging and excuses of my entitled maid and 4 weeks is just too long without a holiday so anyone in the airports today want in?

2:30pm-3:30pm QF444 Qantas J lounge
    5pm-7pm EK419 Qantas F lounge

3. Dre_

Dre_ Member

I use App in the Air, scans my Gmail and picks up most of the stuff there.
    The rest I enter manually because it can't be linked to Serko/Corporate Traveller.

Here is my last years flights

I usually sit down a few times a year and update it with all my flights, which I might do tonight. So far it has 14 flights and 42,000 Km which is not even half of what I've done so far this calendar year.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. tobes

tobes Member

Its the only bit I don't like about Tripcase/CWT.

I've done 15 domestic returns this year + 2 trips to US East Coast, China, Singapore & Tokyo.

5. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Has anyone had their offer taken up?

6. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

i'm in the auckland ANZ lounge right now if anyone is sitting outside in plebville :weirdo: free cocktails all the way!

7. wwwww

wwwww Member

24 Jun, CX700 7am BKK CX J lounge
    24 Jun, CX105 10pm HKG CX F Lounge
    17 Aug, CX134 6am MEL QF F Lounge
    21 Aug, CX653 10am HKG CX F Lounge

8. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Damn, i'm doing it the wrong way.

Domestic Bris -> Syd and return. From nothing to silver in 9 weeks. Worst part is, my tickover is in 2 months, so i'll just get silver and thats it. Will probably get enough flights to keep silver next year also. Another bloke I work with makes platinum each year domestic.

Our employer is full flex on return, but for me, also full flex on the way as flights when I need to fly are too full.

Wish there was an easier/better way of getting platinum. It's certainly worth it over all the other status (which are pretty shit). I get in the business/platinum lounge once a month through fellow co-worker.

9. The Brad

The Brad Member

Gold is the tier I really care about, Platinum is nice but Gold is there you get all the real benefits - and Gold is really ridiculously easy to keep.

For me the best benefits of Gold are: lounge obviously, extra bag, cut the line everywhere. Saves 20 minutes boarding a 380!

For Plat you get Express Card, checkin off the street, and First Lounge, which is awesome.

For me I'm just wanting to keep Plat (I should get Plat 2400 this year), and get Lifetime Gold.

10. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Business / first lounge is so. much. better. than gold. (well for qantas anyway)

Plus free food and booze!

Gold / platinum its the free upgrades and ability to get a seat on a supposedly full plane that really helps.

Lifetime silver is 3K status? Lifetime gold 7k? (i.e. 10x what a yearly amount is)

Wish they did lifetime platinum...... :lol:

11. wwwww

wwwww Member

Lifetime silver is 7K, gold is 14K.

I've got 10,935 lifetime SC, about two years away from lifetime SG.

12. The Brad

The Brad Member

First of all, if you're travelling Internationally Gold gets you into the Business lounge. Domestically at least in the capitals there is a little bit of difference but not that much difference.

All Qantas lounges have free food and booze.

I've only been Plat for a year, free upgrades would be a relative unicorn, and only for very specific reasons - overbooking is quite unlikely with Qantas. I got a free business class upgrade once because a customer who had done a points upgrade for himself, left his wife back in Economy and "had second thoughts" once he told her...

Platinum will help you get a points upgrade request and may help you get an outright booking request, but it will not help you a whit if you are buying a booking with money.

13. wwwww

wwwww Member

You're right that QF don't often need to operationally upgrade pax but your status counts with partner airlines and codeshares. I've received heaps of op-ups from Emirates, BA, AA and CX and one Economy (X) to First on QF1 7 years ago.

14. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I think it's luck of the draw sometimes, I was queuing for a flight and the 5 people in front of me got a business upgrade and I missed out, was bad times :(

*edit*

BNE - 23rd June - Virgin Domestic, be there about 06:00 (+1)
    SYD - 23rd June - Virgin Domestic, be there about 05:30 (+1)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  15. akashra

akashra Member

Looks like I'm not even going to make it to Silver this year (I'm currently Gold - VA btw) - I need another 100 points by August 18 and have only two flights scheduled:

05/08 7:05am MEL-ADL
    06/08 7:35pm ADL-MEL

I'll certainly make Silver immediately if I do MEL-SYD-LAX-SFO-LAS(Bus)-LAX(Bus)-SYD-MEL in October, but still :(
    But it might end up being MEL-LAX-SFO-LAX-LAS-LAX-MEL heh :)

16. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

17. wwwww

wwwww Member

The other unwritten benefit of Platinum is priority when dealing with delays/cancellations. E.g. I was on an 8am CX flight to Hong Kong this morning, delayed 4 hours. I was going to miss an appointment so they put me on the next flight out which was with TG.

18. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

That is very true, I got a free movement last week on virgin even as a pleb gold :)

BNE - 26-06-17 (today!) - ~2:20 @ Virgin Lounge +1

Is there a virgin lounge in Newcastle? I am assuming not.

19. wwwww

wwwww Member

Qantas will already move you to earlier flights if requested on domestic (you don't need FF status) - it's so convenient just rocking up at the airport and taking the first available flight out. International is much trickier as carriers often only have a few (or even just 1 in most cases ex Australia) matching flights in the day so they need to buy you a seat from another airline.

20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Ah true, kudos to amex travel though, I asked them if they could move it and they said they could for 35, or just rock up at the lounge desk and ask them to move it instead and they'd probably do it for free as it was a flexi fare.