"Join me in the airline lounge" Thread (Offers only - no requests)

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Zee, Jan 1, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Yup, it's like gettig on a bus, but if someone who doesn't travel much gets pulled in to a lounge for free food and booze, then why not?

*galf smashex after 4 glasses of wine and 5 beers seeing as my United flight was delayed 2hrs...)
    Z
    Edit - clearly had a few glasses of wine and bottles of beer with the 3hr delay... Was slightly tipsy...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Old man travels all the time for work - you're getting paid from the moment you step out your door, until you return home - so it's not all bad.

Especially if you're billing hourly.

3. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Try triple platinum, thats 3000 status creds for the virgin freq flyers.. thats a farkload of flights.

What do I get for it? 1 round trip free flight to anywhere on the virgin route. Whats the last thing someone who flies alot wanna do? More flights!

4. tobes

tobes Member

HA ha I'm only single platinum with 69 flights last year and that's plenty for me. I wonder when they'll introduce lifetime status on Virgin......

Anyway, currently sitting in Kris Flyer Gold at Changi, I thought it would be fancier....

5. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

I like Changi. The only airport where I don't mind if I don't have a lounge to go to...

Z...

6. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Funny you mention that.. after 5000 status credits in 2 years I had a bit of a good ole rant to them. Its a bit shit.

For example, if I have a low flight year and only get say 500 credits, I would loose platinum after doing 5500 credits in 3 years.

They should forward pay those who go way over, roll the excess credits into the next year or start to offer lifetime like QANTAS.

Kris Lounge in Changai. LOL. I have seen worse. Vietnam anyone? Katmandu? So bad..

7. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Don't bitch too much... United are also doing a wonderful job of making the Elites feel like regular pax... Has Platinum, now having to pay for drinks in th elounge (Seriously?) and the priority bags tend to come out after the regular pax luggage... you know... the ones who are still stuck in Immigration (LAX), and now the turn thingy is full of bags, and no more will come through until the bags are taken...

As for lounges... any US lounge is shit. No food (apart form crackers), and paying for beer and spirits...? When did that happen?

Z...

8. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

When all US airlines started going down the gurgler. Gulf states airlines are where it is indeed at.

9. tobes

tobes Member

Agreed, free wifi, lots of water etc. wide range of shops, gardens etc.

10. Tekin

Tekin Member

The AA platinum (or presidential or whatever they are called) lounges are still pretty good.

Even at LAX suprisingly, and since they've got the internal bus between terminal 4 and 5 you can just sit in the AA lounge rather than the absoluely packed QF plat lounge.

The one in chicago is alright as well - albeit it entertaing to find. It's behind an unmarked door at the very far end of the terminal!

11. redslert

redslert Member

AA Admirals Lounge.
    Spent plenty of time in them and I quite enjoy them.
    Drinks are free.
    Some of the AA lounge requires drink tickets, one each per entry, but as most people have found if you smile and ask the Angels/dragons will more than happily give you another one.
    Free is limited to the extent that in the US you need to tip... and the bar attendants seems to have quite good memory for faces especially for people with accents. So I recommend people to tip, not that I like it!

Zee, I think your problem is sticking with *A, give OW a go and you will never turn back.
    I'm *A Gold through TK match with QF, but having taken a few *A flights find it quite disappointing.

12. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

*A is fine outside of the US... *A tends to have the airlines I mostly use (SQ, TH, OZ, ANA and LH), and, United have a very good FF program (for now...), at the moment, the bus class flights I am redeeming each year are worth more than the flights I am paying for that get me the miles.... Not sure how long it'll last though...

Z...

13. archie

archie Member

i'm flying business for the first time.
    wondering how lounge access works exactly.
    can i use any one world lounge (as I'm flying Malaysian airlines)?
    Can I enter the Qantas lounge as they are "one world" too in SYD?

14. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Oh yes, Emirates or Etihad lounges are amazingly good. Custom ordered steak sir? Medium? No problem. :weirdo:

15. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Is Malaysian part of One world? Who you flying with? Generally, if you are flying an airline, you can use the partner alliance lounges wherever you are. Ask at check in about which lounge you can use if in doubt...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  16. archie

archie Member

Yeah Malaysian is one world. Flying Malaysian to Frankfurt via KL. Sweet!

17. garbs

garbs Member

Well to be fair we haven't done too bad with the United devaluation coming into play in February. Business redemptions goes up slighty to the US but redemptions to South Asia go down a fair bit while the rest of the world from Australia seems about the same. Though of course one thing I wanted to do with my miles would be to fly first class on a Lufthansa flight from the US to Europe but it's flight like that are going up in price by a lot.

Shame also that Singapore cut off online access to award bookings through United.

18. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, that sucks, I hate dealing with phone bookings. I like to see all my options... Oh well, gotta take the good with the bad. Paying for "premium drinks in the lounge is still a bit insulting, though...

Z...

19. garbs

garbs Member

You mean they're charging for drinks at the Koru lounge in Sydney now, or are you talking about the Melbourne United Lounge and or the ones in the US? I've heard they've started charging for drinks on the flights over the pond to in economy...another reason to hope for a miles+copay upgrade to clear I guess.

20. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

No, the United Club lounges located in the US. A few beers, wines and house spirits are still free, but they are the hsit ones. Like Miller, or a bunch of unheard of spirits. Anything worth drinking now costs $$$.

the Koru lounge was fine, I went through many beers, glasses of wine and a rum and coke, all reasonably good stuff, whilst waiting for my 2+ hour delayed flight on the 22nd...

Those 777's can't come fast enough.

Z...