"Join me in the airline lounge" Thread (Offers only - no requests)

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Zee, Jan 1, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

I'm hoping to get upgraded for my LAX-MIA. My fare class doesn't allow for upgrades to the red light district, and that is the only downside with the 777's, 747 had more seats in Business...

How long are you in SFO?

Z...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

I've done that flight, and I might be getting it home. Please give a quick review for it?

Quite off-topic but how are you upgrading your UA flight? MilagePlus points / member?
    I think it's almost impossible to do it any other way, or zero availability

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

I do that, or UA 870 3-4 times a year. The constant delays with those poor old 747's (constant technical issues) saw me spend more than 4hrs in the lounge way too often. Anyway, it'll still be shit, just should be more likely to be on-time...

Will let you know how it goes - they may even have in flight entertainment now...

With the right fare class, you can get bumped up using miles, you can also pay for an upgrade with cash. If you happen to hold 1k status, and provided you have the right fare class, you qualify for a free bump should a business class seat become available - this assumes you are the top ranking 1k - there are a LOT of 1k and Global services folk on those UA840 and UA870 flights. And now that they are flying 777's, there are fewer Business class seats.

Having said that, I think even United Premier Silver qualifies for a bump to Economy plus - which just means more leg room, but still, better than nothing.
    Z...

4. jbpov

jbpov Member

This thread is a great idea.

On June 26 I'll be departing Melb at 1900 - landing in Dubai at 0315 (June 27) for a 6hr layover then departing Dubai at 0915 to London

I have a Qantas complimentary guest pass but unfortunately I don't think that gets me into the codeshare lounges in DXB

5. garbs

garbs Member

Just a couple days, after that I'm driving up the coast to Seattle and then flying over to Iceland via ewr/lhr and Norway after that.

Yeah Mileage Plus points+copay. I knew going in I had almost no chance since I'm only a lowly Premier Gold but I figured hey it was a good way to at least get my lax-sfo leg upgraded without relying on a CPU to get me upgraded and I also get the points+copay refunded if my overwater leg doesn't get upgraded which is looking very likely at this stage.

6. josh_676

josh_676 Member

I'm going PTH to Syd on Sunday, about 1500 h departure with Qantas, I don't have a Qantas club membership!

7. jbpov

jbpov Member

Anyone able to confirm if the QF complimentary pass will get me into the partners lounge at DXB?

8. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Those passes are usually a ingle use item.

I doubt it'll get yo into another airlines lounge.

Z...

9. FoderMe

FoderMe Member

I guess I can play too.

Just one pass on my scum gold (I'm always hitting the "neither here, nor there" level of ~800sc). Unless you're super-fascinating, I prefer to do my own thing inside and zone out.

14-May MEL VL around 9am
    16-May SYD VL around 8am
    18-May PER VL around 9.30am

10. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

Tue 13th: Melbourne > Virgin Lounge, around 6am
    Wed 14th: Brisbane > Virgin Lounge, around 5pm

come say hi, and get the inaugural trophy! :weirdo:

11. flain

flain Member

i'm flying syd-per today with status, will be at the QC lounge around 3pm if anyone wants to get in

12. tobes

tobes Member

Virgin Melbourne Domestic on a 7:15AM Thursday flight so should be there from around 630AM.

Return from Sydney around 445 for 530 flight.

13. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Just in case...

1 at each...

SYD Koru CLub Lounge (*A partners) on 11/5/14, from about 11am.

LAX 11:30am at whatever United Club lounge will be closest to my gate - will update. *A Partners...

IAH (Houston) 6:40pm, once again, whichever United Club lounge is closest to my gate, will update... *A Partners...

Z...

14. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

When are your return flights? I estimate I will be finally returning to Perth around the 20th.

15. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Anyone at Sydney tomorrow 930am?

16. Aratama_Bashi

i decided to put something in my sig for this thread :thumbup: would help if a few of us did so - we MIGHT actually get a hit! :lol:

17. Gunna

Gunna Member

As a side note: Find the day spa near Business\1st class lounges in terminal 1 or 3, 2nd or 3rd level

$15 AUD for a private shower, they have towels and soap\shampoo, just take a different shirt. I tell you what, it makes a huge difference on the long haul flights. Wakes you up and you feel human again, plus kills time for those long lay overs. Nice hot shower after a 16 hour flight is bliss

I just got a small can of deo for carry on for the smells.

AND avoid the sausage mcmuffins from Maccas in Dubai - i'm not sure what the small gelatinous blobs in my white sausage patty were, not sure it was even meat.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  18. Aratama_Bashi

couldnt agree more. nice hot shower just makes you feel completely different
    (though the benefit of choosing etihad and being in their business or first class lounges is that showers are free :thumbup: as is the day spa)

19. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Quick question for the jetsetters - does flying business class on a star alliance flight generally get you into other star alliance lounges? Flying united to SFO tomorrow and will prob have some time to kill in Sydney, just wondering if i can get into singapore/nz/etc lounges.

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

I think it does yes.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/status-benefits/