Join two SATA data cables?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by sammy_b0i, Feb 9, 2018.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

Is there such a thing as a SATA data cable joiner? Basically a little adapter or cable with sata male at both ends?

Anyone seen anything like it?

Basically, need a cable or adapter with this on both ends:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

Edit: Wow, just found the right terminology for it, and I can see results :)

"SATA male to male coupler"

3. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

Alright, found, ordered, etc. Nevermind the thread :)

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

[ CURIOSITY]

What are you doing with such a thing?

[/ CURIOSITY]

5. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

You can buy extenders that have a male connection on one end and a female one on the other to which you connect a sata cable but its probably easier to just buy a longer one which would be better, usually they are around 90cm, however, kindly remember that the maximum length can't exceed the maximum of one meter.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Custom set up that just can't stretch?

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

This is why I was curious. If you had to order something for a custom setup, why not order a cable that's the right length? And if you're going further than a length that can be ordered..well there's a reason they don't make one that long in the first place.

8. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

If you have a bunch of SATA ports located at the same height as two 16x PCI-E slots it makes it very easy to change SATA ports without having to take out the graphics card that is blocking access. Load up all the SATA ports with 15cm short cables, label them, and if one port dies just switch over without having to remove the graphics card. Same thing when you have to add drives. I guess you can achieve the same thing if you just use 30cm/50cm cables in the first place but this way it keeps it tidy until I have to use the ports.

looktall and ae00711 like this.
  9. wwwww

wwwww Member

Instead of using a male to male coupler why don't you just get a longer one?

10. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

Whoops. Sorry guys, didn't see the replies.

I've got a HP Z800 workstation/server dual-cpu monster I'm playing around with. It's got in-built hot swap drive trays. 4 x SATA/SAS slots, where the drive slide in from the side-panel direction and the cabling (power/data) is all hidden behind rivets and routed accordingly. Pops out next to the motherboard tray as 4 x female SATA cables.

[​IMG]

Then I've plugged in an Adaptec SAS card, and have some SFF-8087 cables, which also end in female SATA cables.

HP used to sell a mini version of the SFF-8087 that ended in male SATA ends specifically for this purpose, but they are really hard to find, if at all. Easily $100+ if you find somewhere that actually has any stock.

[​IMG]

So the easiest way is to get something else that will allow me to join the two female SATA ends that I'm left with, hence the couplers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]