josh1990's Chooks

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by josh1990, Jun 6, 2017.

1. kthomp37

kthomp37 Member

Looks like a double yolk. Years ago I used to work on a poultry farm and in a barn of 10 thousand hens you'd get about a dozen double yolks a day. Still perfectly edible.

Some of them can get big enough that you wonder how/if the hen survived :Paranoid:

2. OP
    OP
    josh1990

josh1990 Member

It certainly was a double yolker. My wife jokes that chickens are people that did shit things in a past life so they get sent back as chickens to spit out eggs every day hahaha. She saw that and said "wonder what they did" :lol:

3. Baringa

Baringa Member

Click to view full size!

I got this one in a carton of "jumbo" eggs the other week. It was so big the carton wouldn't close :lol:

4. OP
    OP
    josh1990

josh1990 Member

Fucking Christ!

This is next to a regular sized one for us;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/l4NuBTczeuRWZkm23

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

You can get eggs inside of eggs. They are huge, like that.

6. Baringa

Baringa Member

That's what I was hoping it would be! Just a "normal" double yolker, but the biggest I've ever seen!

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's a whopper, that's for sure. I wonder who laid it.

8. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Find the chooken with permanently crossed eyes. That'll be the one I reckon :)

9. OP
    OP
    josh1990

josh1990 Member

Just hit 70 eggs for the month so far. I thought I had eggs coming out MY arse before lol. Have 2 people buying them as they need them but need a few more. Something to think about for prospective backyard chook owners. If we only needed eggs for ourselves, 3 would've been fine.

10. OP
    OP
    josh1990

josh1990 Member

So it's the last day of the first full month of laying. We've collected 154 eggs, which is just shy of 13 dozen. Averaging 5.1 a day, really happy with the output vs feed cost. The ones we sell cover the pellets, supplemented by scraps and treats such as meal worms.

11. FOTW

FOTW Member

Jesus some monster eggs there.

I remember back as a kid we would let our chooks rummage through the garden every now and then, they would go mental in the scrub and bushes eating up all the insects, then for the next few days we get extra large jumbo eggs.

12. Amran

Amran Member

I've got a few Isa Browns, don't know why people go on about only laying for 2 years and health problems though. These things must be 3/4 years old now and we still get an egg every day from each of them. As for health, can't kill em :shock: We don't give them any special treatment, just kitchen scraps (like, EVERYTHING from the kitchen) and a swift boot gentle push if they get in front of me (they like to follow me around like little dogs but they trip me over). Whatever the trick is, they seem happy and productive.

13. AERO

AERO Member

gee that chook would have a sore bum. i remember parents having chooks that i killed accidentally hence why im barred from chook owning. and i remember collecting an egg quiet like the one in the picture, it was massive, never seen anything quiet like it, maybe if i didnt have a killer jackrussel i'd consider getting a chook or 3 for our son.