Joysticks - anyone still using them?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by pb3xunleashd, Sep 5, 2012.

1. pb3xunleashd

pb3xunleashd Member

Getting bored, looking to spend money for no apparent reason other than to have something new to play with.

Have been thinking about a force feedback joystick. Haven't used a joystick since my old 486 running windows 95, but looking to acheive full nerd level on games that offer that experience.

Not into flight simulators, main joystick-possible game I play is BF3 and think a decent stick could only add to the experience overall.

So my question to the forum. Anyone who doesn't do flight simulators use a Force Feedback Joystick? Any recommendations for a decent one? What games other than BF3 (and flight sims) could I seek out as being a good option to look at after purchasing said recommended joystick.

Your thoughts appreciated!:thumbup:

2. power

power Member

I am not a fan of FF sticks (I prefer a precise feel) and when I played BF2 extensively I used a stick a lot to fly choppers but they nerfed stick controls in 2142 and BC2 so I kind of gave up and haven't played 3 nearly enough to know if the sticks are fixed.

In short if you are a flyboy and the sticks are no longer nerfed they really really add to things, other than that mine gets no use, also I can't stand FF sticks due to preferring finer control.

I was using a Saitek Cyborg Evo which I love as I felt it had good precise stick nice throttle and a good array of buttons (all lit too which is nice). Also plenty of adjustments. Not sure what's out there now as I bought it a while back but still works great on Win7 x64 just plug in and off it goes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    pb3xunleashd

pb3xunleashd Member

I usually avoid vehicle maps like the plague because I'm bored within 5 minutes. Can't stand the douche-baggery that goes on with half the side waiting for jets etc. I'm hoping the excitement of a new toy will make me want to jump back into those servers and withstand aforementioned douche-baggery.

Interesting about the hate towards FF. What should I be looking at for said precision feel? Do you have any brands to steer clear of?

4. power

power Member

the most popular sticks are MS and Logitech which I looked at and went Saitek instead, and it will imo come down to personal feel. I found the Saitek had just the right amount of resistance through all of the axes so it's easy to hold a position on the stick and gently guide it around as well as snapping it precisely where you want it without FF getting in the way, so left right and twist and the deadzone was spot on for me, the people who are really all over this will give you a better idea of what to look for but keep in mind BF has a fairly arcadey feel to it that many FS nuts would look down their noses at but I really loved the choppers in 2 it was like a whole other game hidden inside the battlefield so to speak :)

FF to me ruins a good stick but many people like it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Definitely need a stick for BF2. There are things the planes and choppers can do that you just can't achieve with a mouse.

My last joystick was a logitech force feedback 3d or something like that, would have to agree with everything power has said. It was pretty crap :) Far too loose without force feedback on, and all over the shop with it.

6. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS X. Can't remember how much, but pretty cheap off eBay.

I severely sucked at flying anything in BF3. Now I only just mildly suck (because everyone else has levelled up to nukes and I still only have a pea shooter). I simply could not fly helicopters before, but now I get around quite easily and fairly nimbly using this. The two parts separate for more comfortable use. And more than enough buttons for almost any job.

[​IMG]

Other than flight sim type of games I can't think of any other reason for this type of controller?

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nope, haven't used one for quite some time. But I bought one (GenX 500) about a year ago for a great price in the hope that some day I might get back around to using one : )

8. japes

japes Member

Picked up a Saitek X52 Pro for DCS World etc. and would recommend it to anyone. Reasonably well priced for a "full size" throttle setup, although the screen and gadgetry is all pretty much wasted.

9. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Probably about to get shouted at but if your not playing flight sims why not get something like a razor onza. Works great for flying in bf3 and makes games like gta so much more fun.

Actually while im here, a bit OT but could anyone recommend a kickass wartime flight sim?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  10. flagger

flagger Member

The best method for flying jets in BF3 is keyboard and mouse. Joysticks take too long to switch directions.

11. power

power Member

choppers are what I use a stick for, jets I don't really like flying maps are too small to make it fun for me.

gamepad doesn't have enough axes to work well with flight.

12. craz3d

craz3d Member

for me joystick is best because its more FUN.

you know, what a game should be about.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Absolutely, i used to love the old arcade days with joysticks :thumbup:

14. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Sorry what? A standard joystick has 2 axis, side to side, and up and down.
    A gamepad has 4. Side to side, up and down, on 2 sticks.
    Can you elaborate?
    Granted a good joystick will have 3, as above but with twist aswell. Its still one less than a gamepad.

15. power

power Member

do you even realise how important the twist is to a chopper?

and you have a better throttle as well.

gamepad doesn't even come close to the experience with a stick.

16. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Hell yeah. I have 2 joysticks. They're both Logitech. I have the Attack 3 and Extreme 3D Pro, both of which I always really enjoy using.

17. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

It's funny, just on the weekend I was talking to my 9 year old nephew. I was telling him what gaming was like "Back in my day". His response was "What's a joystick!" That made me feel real old. :(

18. power

power Member

poor little bugger.

Missing out on controllers that give you.... control!

19. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

I sure do. I was lucky enough to have spent 10 hours learning to fly a
    Chopper (btw it was awesome, if you get a chance, do it).
    Your not loosing out on functionality by using a game pad. Sure he experience might not be as great, but it does everything it needs to do at a cheaper cost. If your playing a proper flight sim, then get a joystick. If it is for bf3, a gampad is a cheaper option.
    Btw, can anyone recommend a good combat flight sim?

20. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I just started playing Heroes of the Pacific. Admittedly, the game is a couple of years old now, but who cares. It's loads of fun to play with a joystick. I felt like a kid again playing HotP.