1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Jump ship to Canon/Nikon? From Pentax

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by maxwolfie, Dec 30, 2014.

1. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

Hi all,

I will begin by saying that I've had nothing but great experiences with my Pentax K-x, but I am now at a point where I am looking to upgrade and I am considering video as a more important feature – as we now have a dog and probably will have kids on the way soon too. The camera will be used to travel/camping/hiking, general pet/kid/family photography/video. Furthermore I am also looking at getting into panoramas much more heavily as I really like shooting them, and hopefully make a bit of money from selling canvases at the same time.

Must have:
    1. Must NOT be heavy! I really like the size and weight of my K-x, happy to go a bit bigger and a little heavier but not too much
    2. Cost effective/value – I am looking at spending up to $1200 – $1500 for the DSLR, one travel lens (18-135 WR in case of Pentax or 18-300), one 35mm prime for landscapes, cheap bag, filters etc. Will be bought from B&H Photo probably.

Very good to have:
    1. HDMI port!
    2. Weather sealing
    3. Video ability
    4. Swing out screen for low angle shots/video
    5. In-body IS – as I have a bunch of MF lenses (like the Helios 44-2) which I am hoping to use more

Good to have:
    1. AA batteries for travel
    2. Accessories/lenses available in OS stores when travelling.. I found that no one stocked the Sigma 18-300 HSM OS in Pentax mount while in Canada, which was very frustrating (I desperately wanted a travel lens as I was sick of constantly changing lenses).
    3. Software for remote controlling for Astro photos (BackyardEOS) - Canon comes out in front here

How does Pentax value currently compare with Canon or Nikon in the APS-C range of mid range DSLRs?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. metalrain

metalrain Member

Thought about going the mirrorless route? The same or ever better IQ, some have in-body-IS and you can slap on an adapter and use your Pentax glass (or any other SLR lens for that matter). Only downside is the battery life, but you can always carry a couple spare ones.

3. lench

lench Member

in all honesty the 'big two' arent so big anymore
    After being an avid Canon fan, I've seriously been drawn to the Sony A7 series lately. might want to look into it and see if that suits you

4. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Sony A7 II? The in body IS on that thing looks so impressive!

5. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

I have a GH4 bought primarily for video, it checks all your boxes (including weather sealing) but is not full frame so it's more difficult to get that thin DOF look.

I took my GH4 and X100s to Malaysia recently, and I found myself loving the GH4 except for its lackluster high ISO performance. It's small, and the AF is stupidly fast (great for kids), the video is tack sharp (unlike the video that comes from my Canon DSLR), it's very simple to use (great for the wife), swivel screen for those low angle shots, and the kit 12-35 (24-70 equiv) has IS which is great for video.

I thought about getting the Sony A7s, and I would have grabbed it over the GH4 were it not for the price being prohibitive.

6. OP
    OP
    maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

I reckon K-50 with 18-135 WR and Pentax 35mm DA L F2.4, I will buy a separate camcorder for video I think...

7. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Good choice. I think you'll be surprised. While video is still a Pentax weak spot it is really not that bad for regular home movies and stuff. Yeah you aren't going to shoot a major motion movie on it but do you want to? There are better for video but as an all rounder the K50 nails it.

The 18-135mm is a great travel lens. And I absolutely loved my DA35 almost as much as my FA31. Plus your existing lenses work no problem.

8. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

uh-oh.. couldn't abandon pentax? :Paranoid:

9. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

With the current deals on the twin lens kit, the Sony A6000 would be good for you, except it does not have in body IS. Also with the price of the A7 (original) right now, if you want to try full frame, there has never been a cheaper time.

10. CrazyNuts

CrazyNuts Member

With your budget you can get yourself a K-3 with Pentax 17-70 and a prime lens.

I know you said not Pentax but the image quality is unbelievable for the money. Canon/Nikon cannot match it in that price range.