Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Diary of a ship jumper:

I finally made a commitment last weekend and dropped a deposit on a Sony A7iii to replace my 10yo Canon 5D-II a decision based on the camera's IBIS and eye focus.

My gear list currently includes:

* Canon 100 f/2.0
    * Canon 50 f/1.2
    * Canon 24-70 f/2.8 mk-ii
    * Canon 70-200 f/4

* Sigma MC-11 adaptor

* Godox Xpro trigger (Canon, have Sony version on order)
    * Canon 830EX

The camera should hopefully be in my hand in a week or two, and I will update my transition to the new system as I go. Until then, I'd appreciate any tips or hints to make the transition as smooth as possible.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Sigma MC-11 adaptor is great, especially on the a73. Found a lot of my Canon glass works better adapted than on my Canon's haha. Where it falls off significantly is when the light drops and your contrast detection starts making it super hunty. This happens more and more from the outside in to the center point, and a lot more present on longer lenses sooner. You can switch to manual focus with peaking, but really who likes shooting like that always? My suggestion would be picking up a couple of the cheaper lenses at the start until you make the full glass switch over.

Say the 55 1.8/85 1.8

I'll be going Godox for my switch, seems everyone is.

I quite like the battery grip, I picked one up for my A73 to try out (also fits the A9). It does increase size significantly but I am all for ease of use compared to the other.

3. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Unsure I will be getting rid of all my glass, but can see the benefit in acquiring native glass.

Here is a good review of the camera from someone in my position:

4. Deftone2k

I have used both the 24-70 and 70-200 f4 on mine and they were the most effected out of all my lenses in low light. Obviously depends on what conditions you are shooting the most.. but there are some crackers in the Sony Lineup that is for sure :)

5. Xang

Xang Member

I admire your optimism that you'll have it in 1-2 weeks. Where did you order?

TheBear21 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

LOL, yeah. Will see how close the local camera shop's estimations are to reality. (Ordered a week ago)

7. Deftone2k

I enquired the other day with the place I got my a73 from, they said late October for the body and late November for the MC-11

8. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

That fits my suspicions as the phrase used was "The end of September" which I thought was a little strange as we are already in September. And I bought my MC-11 second hand a few months ago, which sounds like a pretty fortunate move on my part :)

9. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

My 2 main Sony Goto lenses are the 16-35 F/4 and the 55mm F/1.8 I do use my Canon lenses also with the Meteabones adaptor but that is mainly for video as they have mechanical focussing - native lenses are focus "by wire"

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

get the FR 85mm 1.8 - its probably the best bang for buck
    the 28mm f2 is also great if you need wider

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

I picked up the 85/1.8 very recently in a JB HiFi. Absolutely love it to bits. It is very lightweight and incredible, would not trade it for the heavier weight of 1.4.

Eye AF works welkon my gen 1 A7s which is good, since detect, focussing in the face, the eye can often be out of focus at 1.8, unless you're a bit further back getting full body etc.

12. noobatron

noobatron Member

I was in the same boat about 6 months ago. Was heavily invested in Canon with two FF bodies and a whole bunch of Canon and Sigma lenses. I sold both bodies and picked up the A7iii and haven't looked back since!

I'm using the Sigma MC11 adapter to adapt my current Canon zooms including the 24-70Lii, 70-200Lii and 16-35Lii and it's been mostly successful. I've got the same issues with the adapted lens that Deftone2k highlighted (AF performance degraded in low light) with the least reliable of the bunch being the 70-200. The other thing to note with adapted lenses is that they do not continue to focus after the first shot in BURST, even with continuous AF on. I've picked up some native Sony Primes and they've been exceptional in terms of IQ, AF performance (speed and accuracy) so it's definitely worth the switch to native.

13. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

I’m slowly making the big leap myself, having shot with canon exclusively. though I have dipped my toes with Fuji mirrorless , Sony a6xxx in the past. Now rocking an a7ii and a7iii with sigma, and Zeiss prime lenses. Totally worth it.

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm happy with my setup
    Samsung galaxy S7 ;)

15. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Got one of them as my travel camera. ;) Flash triggers are difficult to find for it though.

16. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I got my A7iii that was going to be here end of July a couple weeks ago. Now waiting on the one that will be here early August :(

Godox A1 ;)

17. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Not on an S7 you haven't!

18. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Why not? Android app has been out for a couple months now.

19. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

20. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member