Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. MickybD

MickybD Member

Haha!

Thanks. I appreciate you both taking the time to give me feeback re this.

Unfortunately the finances are limited at the moment, so an A9 is not in the picture. The specs of the A7III look good, though, and I think it will serve me well. I might need an extended hand grip, though! I've always used a grip on all the various bodies I have had over the years (plus the inbuilt grip on the 1-series bodies), so going to a much smaller body may be uncomfortable. I tried a Fuji XT2 a while back and used a grip on that too as I found it too small.

I agree re the menus - I have My Menu setup on my Canon cameras and rarely need to look elsewhere.

The current discounting is making it very tempting to buy an A7III to try out. Still contemplating that one...

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

rent one and test it out thoroughly with your glass (with the MC-11) and see how you like it.
    Its certainly not as ergonomic for me if you're used to the 1dx body wise, with a grip its passable, and better than the fuji stuff for me.

When i shot Sony occasionally i'd get miffed about trying to find a setting but most stuff you can assign to a button or the Fn menu so not that big a deal.

3. Xang

Xang Member

The A7iii is a great buy, I just assumed if you owned a 1DX you might shoot a lot of fast action where the A9 excels.

I find the third-gen Sony bodies unusable without some sort of grip. RRS sell a base plate which is good, but these days I've been using and enjoying the full battery grip.

Buying a body and an adapter is tempting to dip your toes in the water, but to truly get the best AF you'll always need native glass. The 28/2, 55/1.8 and 85/1.8 are all very affordable and will give you the best idea of the system's capabilities without burning up cash (if those FL's suit your use case).

4. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

That is not so much the menu system, but the underlying system.

While on the subject of dual cards, my big annoyance is that I have it set to write it to card B when card A is full. But when it starts writing to card B, all the previous photos on card A are inaccessible when reviewing.

5. Xang

Xang Member

You can select the playback card under the playback section of the menu.

Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  6. MickybD

MickybD Member

Thanks. I've had 1-series Canon bodies since a 1D Mark II and have loved the form factor and the quick AF. They are big and heavy, though, and the idea of something more compact is appealing now. I enjoy the capabilities of the 1DX when I am in a shooting situation that benefits from them, but realistically I don't really need the power of the 1DX most of the time. So, I reckon an A7III would serve me quite well.

I just took a look and damn those genuine Sony grips are expensive!!

7. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

get an aftermarket one, i had 3 different ones and were all fine.
    you only really get a compactness benefit if you're going with the small primes, the faster aperture lenses are equally as big as the DSLR stuff in most cases

8. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Speaking of which, is there any way to add this to the custom menu? I keep cycling through the options but can never seem to find it.

9. Xang

Xang Member

Doesn't look like it.

I shoot RAW+JPG to both cards.

10. humanrace

humanrace Member

With remote shutter release - I see it uses micro USB. I don't really trust micro USB as they can break so easily! But it is what it is. are there 90 degree plugs so there is less stress on the plug when mounted onto a tripod vertically with an L bracket?

Or is this generally not an issue?

(I only got my L bracket yesterday and haven't had a chance to mount it onto a tripod)

11. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i always used to use an IR remote, $10 off ebay and worked fine

12. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Do you remember which one? Ive been meaning to order but havent. The new BT one looks the goods, but scared by the price as always :D

13. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

My Meike battery grip came with one.

14. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

One like this
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IR-Wire...991758&hash=item2824698697:g:UUoAAOSw3FNZlkKQ

Mine is sitting here useless but more expensive for me to ship it then buying new!

The meike grips also come with one but i wasnt a fan of it (and you need the grip)
    The genuine sony one is only $30 too

15. MickybD

MickybD Member

Has anyone used the Sigma 24-105mm Art on the A7 III? Just wondering how it compares to the Sony 24-105.

16. Deftone2k

I havent used but really native glass is so damn good on Sony.. adapted is ok but one of the charms of the system is just how great it all works cohesively together. I had heaps of art glass to adapt but once I shot native pretty much knew I was going down that rabbit hole :)

A good thing for the interim, but even though the Sony glass is exxy its very good.

17. MickybD

MickybD Member

Thanks. Just considering if there is a more affordable way to try the system than fully Sony. (To clarify, too, I was meaning a Sigma lens in a Sony mount version, rather than a Canon mount with MC11 - just wasn't sure if your reference to adapted glass meant you thought I was referring to a Canon mount Sigma + MC11.)

18. Deftone2k

Yep I picked up what you were putting down. Even still the Sigma Art range in E mount is basically the art lens with the MC-11 built in.. still not as good as native Sony :)

So its improved but still hard to beat native Sony glass. For testing its fine, but I think if you are testing with the mind of staying then its better to buy native. If you are testing with the mind of sticking with what you got, then I would buy a MC-11 or Metabones adapter and put glass you have on already. It's enough for you to get a feel to continue or not (that's how I did it).

19. MickybD

MickybD Member

Cool. Thanks for that. Plenty to think about...

20. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Has anybody actually compared a Sigma with Sony mount to a Sigma with Canon mount and MC11? I suspect there would be a bit of speed difference.