Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Sigma has only released native E mount prime lenses. So far they have not done any of their zooms. So the only option is Canon mount with MC11 (which is 100% identical to the native E mount glass anyway)

2. Xang

Xang Member

It definitely varies between lenses. The E-mount 35 Art focuses quite well (despite the 35mm being the oldest in the series), whereas the much newer 135mm focuses quite terribly.

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I have a MC
    Yes I have both and whilst it isnt so immediately obvious when the light is good I found once the light goes it outside of center it becomes much less reliable. I am sure the E mount is actually quite close as there isnt much of a difference (if any) unless its more just how the parts all communicate together.

Regardless once you are shooting Sony glass also, it becomes quite obvious the Sony native glass is superior.

The art stuff is still good but yeah :) There is a reason why many start off adapting/maybe looking at the art gear in E Mount and then switching to Sony native.

I personally chose the 35 art in E Mount because I think its a better lens than the Sony 35 1.4 (copy to copy). If you have a good copy of the Sony 35 then its pretty rad and superior.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

My assumption is that E-mount Sigma lens <-> Sony would require less translation and so less latency than Canon Lens <-> Sigma MC11 <-> Sony body.

5. Deftone2k

It isnt that much more noticeable in performance (perhaps better on outer edges when its really dark?). My 35 art in Canon mount actually performed rather great on the MC-11 until it was really dark.

Having said that since I picked up the 35 art in e mount It's been great to use even in super low light shooting scenarios for me.

From all of my reading, the native E mount ART range is simply an optimized version of the MC-11 + Lens in one neat package. Didnt really dive further though!

6. humanrace

humanrace Member

Is it possible to preset bulb mode? eg say I want to do a 1min exp I set it and then when I take the photo it will automatically stop at 1min? (This is something I used a lot with canon and magic lantern)

I also noticed during bulb exposure the screen goes black - how do you tell how long the shutter has been open for?

7. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Shoot in silent mode?

8. Xang

Xang Member

Not sure how you think silent mode will show a timer on the screen, but in any case mechanical shutter is required for exposures longer than 1/8th.

9. Deftone2k

Canon has the timer on the top window which is what I am guessing you are comparing too?

I just keep a timer myself.. its never been a problem (couldnt see the one on the top screen anyway without a light).

The Sony App used to be really good but havent used for a while now... I remember there being an update which people werent so keen about.

Thinking there is a good opportunity in the market for an aftermarket cable release that does a whole lot more.

Sony have also released a bluetooth remote which looks rad.

10. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I thought that silent mode prevented the view from blacking out. Appears I was wrong. :/

11. Xang

Xang Member

You're kind of right in that the A9 has no blackout in silent mode, but only for shorter exposures :)

12. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Took a few shots at an indoor event at a public library, so used silent mode.

Note to self: Don't use silent shooting under artificial light, as you get banding even at 1/100th.

13. Deftone2k

Yeah I just dont shoot in silent at all anymore haha.

In other news, my 24GM finally arrived huzzah!

14. MickybD

MickybD Member

I just pulled the trigger on an A7III and an MC11 - looking forward to dipping my toe in the water with some adapted Canon glass and we'll see from there. Thanks for your help in this thread.

15. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I just picked up a Godox V1 (I have another one on order) and boy is it great. The focus assist beam is just amazing! I closed the door on the spare room and it could focus with the lights off with in pitch black. Finally reliable AF on those dance floors at night!!!

Deftone2k likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I just found out the X-pro triggers also have a laser focus assist beam, which I accidentally turned on while handling the unit. Apparently upgrading the firmware and changing a menu setting of the X-pro (and obiously enabling focus assist in the Sony body) should hopefully give me better focus ability with Canon glass, but I can't get it to activate. :(

17. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

While the X pro tiggers have an AF assist beam, it is quite weak and not that useful. The V1 is on a whole other level. This thing is BRIGHT!!!!!!

BTW to turn it on in the xpro you have to turn on AF beam in the setup menu.

18. Deftone2k

Got a video? :D

19. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

HMMMMM Let me work out how to take a video of that.....

But honestly. If you been shooting Sony mirrorless, and you been having issues with focus in low light at events and weddings and stuff, Get a V1. It should solve all your issues. I compared it to my tt 685s and using the xpro trigger, and it might as well be daylight for how good the focus is with the assist beam on the v1.

Deftone2k likes this.
  20. Deftone2k

All good Xang sent me a video in the end of it in action :)

Looks good, I have the Sony F60RM flashes and they have been great with the LED assist where needed (but otherwise I have LED panels that I use to help) but seeing how great the V1 is working its wonderful there is another option to be able to utilize as it was pretty much the no.1 short coming for me in the system when shooting in near dark.