Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

So... Still waiting. My Sony Godox trigger arrived the other week, so now I am just waiting for the actual camera. Is interesting to note that the latest catalogue from Camera House doesn't include the Sony A7iii.

2. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

100mm f2... sooo good :D

nisstrust likes this.
  3. Xang

Xang Member

What lens is that?

4. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

From my gear list in my OP I assume. And yes, it is my favorite lens, in fact I used it exclusively in my last two model shoots :)

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Still a 1 month + wait for the body???

6. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

About 6 weeks so far.

7. humanrace

humanrace Member

Whats the latest on metabones vs sigma mc11? Ive been thinking about switching for a long time - only havent because I have been very little photography but when I do pull out the old canon I hate using it, and editing its photos.

The lenses I would adapt are
    70-200 2.8 IS version 1 (though I may get rid of this as its literally been years since i've used it)
    135L
    85L version 1
    35 ART
    16-35 2.8 version 2

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Adapting wise I have had great success with my Canon glass with the MC-11 on the A73, even better with the latest firmware update.

Although to be honest, with the great performance of a lot of the Sony glass my initial intentions of adapting more .. is going to end up selling and buying Sony glass. So many great lenses, the GM stuff is exxy but the other glass is awesome itself.

Now you can buy the Sigma glass in E mount as well, I have picked up the 135 ART and will likely grab the 35 Art as well and complete the rest of the lineup with Sony.

9. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

From what I understand, lens compatability is a bit of a crap-shoot between the MetaBones and MC-11, but as the Sigma E-mount lenses are just their standard lenses with a built-in MC-11, I'd probably go the MC-11 path first as that way you'll know it works with at least one lens. :)

10. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

I've actually got two A7III's but only need one, might pop it on the sales forum.

Personally I sold all my Canon lenses and bought native Sony lenses -- no regrets so far.

11. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Update:

Running gag with the LCS (Local Camera Shop) - "Will I get it before Christmas?". They let me know today that there is a shipment due into the Sony warehouse on December the 18th, which means a December 21st store delivery. Technically before Christmas, but I won't have the opportunity to pick it up it until the new year.

New plan involved me accepting a great deal on an A7rIII, and I walked out of the shop officially a Sony user.

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

suspect you'd be happier with the a7riii anyway

13. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

First thoughts:

So much customisation! Played around with it for about 2 hours before I even took a single photo.

What is cool:

EVF - being able to see the actual DOF as you are dialling in the aperture is very nice, and the zebra stuff is neat.
    Ergonomics - It feels comfortable in my hand, but I don't have big blokey hands.
    I tend to pay too much attention to the subject and not the horizon so the on-screen level will be quite useful to me.
    ISO 50!

Not as cool:

The shutter sound does not match the shutter length, meaning you don't get that physical indication of shutterspeed and I can see this will take some getting used to.
    So many dials are arse-about to the Canon. Turning the exposure compensation dial "up" (clockwise) will reduce the EC. Zooming into the image uses the left button, not the right.
    I set up a few basic functions, stuck the battery on charge overnight and this morning all the settings had reverted back to default. (I hope this was a one-off)
    So much customisation, but still pretty restrictive. That unassigned dial you want to assign to an exposure related function? "Sorry, that dial can only be assigned to focus functions".

No real deal-breakers there, I think I am going to like it and I am looking forward to using it in anger.

14. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Good to hear mate :) did you pick up an MC-11 to play with your 100mm f2 as well??

15. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Got an MC-11 cheap a few months ago, so all my short-medium term testing will be with Canon glass.

16. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

For anyone interested the Sony A7R3 has a $500 eftpos card from Sony included at the moment, and is going for $3645 at Camerapro... so essentially dropping it down near $3k! A lot of camera for the money :)

TheBear21 and nisstrust like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Yeah, just in time for Christmas too! The decision has just been made easier for anyone sitting on the fence.

18. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

70mm, 1/8th sec hand held.

[​IMG]

100% crop:

[​IMG]

Now, to organise a proper model shoot.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  19. Athiril

Athiril Member

If you're going non-adapted route, then

I recommend the FE 85/1.8 ;) (its super light weight and excellent quality)

For 35mm, I'd probably pick one of the Samyangs, the AF 35mm 1.4 or the AF 35mm 2.8 (86 grams), depending if you want wider portraiture with thinner depth of field, or small and ultralight 35mm for discreet shooting.

Sony have their 16-35mm as well, there is also an interesting lens coming out.. the Laowa 10-18mm FE.

They have 2 15mm lenses as well, the 15mm f/2 "zero distortion" lens... and the 15mm f/4 macro lens (1:1 macro, also has shift)

Which you can get crazy shots with
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...o-DeAhVLU30KHQDuB3oQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=754

20. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I have every lens length I have a need for, but the 85 would probably be one I would use. (I'd probably sell the 24-70 to fund it though.) I am not sure I have need of a 35mm, I had always assumed they were primarily for cropped sensor cameras.