Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Second shoot today, and it went much better. Paid more attention to the actual numbers than the tactile feedback of the mirror slap, and made sure I was in AF-C. Had a little more ambient light this time (although was still overcast and under cover) so the eye focus worked beautifully on both my 24-70 f/2.8 and 100 f/2.0

More things I liked:

The EVF is a real winner. Not only does it allow you to zoom all the way into the image, (unlike the 5D-II that only zooms into the thumbnail) it allows you to give the camera to the model where they can have a really good look at the results rather than chimping off a reflective screen in the sun.

Things I don't like:

The refresh rate of the EVF. Not quite real time for fast moving subjects, I am not sure how the sports shooters would go with it. But in my usage, the benefits of the EVF far outweigh this issue.

Hopefully I will be able to find some locals with a 5D-IV and EOS-M to compare them head to head.

nisstrust likes this.
  2. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

I've been shooting almost exclusively sports with the A7III. The EVF is a bit of a struggle, but I think the fast AF and 10fps compensates for that, since you can shoot a burst of 24MP shots and then you still have some flexibility to crop in. So I shoot a little wide and then crop in accordingly since the action might often spill outside the viewfinder and I can't track well because of the lag.

For the price, I feel like it's really the best you can get for the task before you start jumping in to 1DX and A9 territory. It's always a trade off, the 0 blackout shutter of the a9 would be nice, and I do miss the DSLR viewfinder for shooting action. But the combination of features, like dual card slots, 10fps, excellent AF, and good high iso performance means that I'll pass on one of the cheaper crop bodies like the 7D Mk II and stick with this Sony.

I live at 1/1000th of a second and 3200 ISO and so far I'm really impressed with the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deftone2k and Dark Orange like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Well, the Tilt Shift works well on it. I have no idea what I am doing and have a steep learning curve ahead, but here's the best I got today which was an accident:

*edit*
    Went back and had another go - Success!

[​IMG]

*/edit*

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    xenorg likes this.
  4. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Ok, so my experience with adapting my Canon lenses with the Metabones 5 adapter:

Canon 24-105mm F4 - Disappointing. Reasonable AF in good light, but in low light is slow and hunts quite a bit. Worse at 105mm and at close distances. Focuses in steps with hesitation after each step, rather than snaps into focus. Choice of IBIS or OIS, not both, annoyingly, unless the adapter is in Advanced mode and then AF is even worse. AF-C in video in advanced mode is unusable, it just hunts and won't lock focus at all.
    Canon 17-40mm F4 - Good AF at both ends of the zoom range. Just as quick as native on the 5D3. Reasonable in Advanced mode. AF-C in video in advanced mode is good but some motor noise.
    Canon 70-200mm F4 - Excellent AF at both ends of the zoom range. IMO faster than as native on the 5D3. Just as quick in Advanced mode. AF-C in video in advanced mode is good but some motor noise.
    Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX - Good AF, but the old HSM motor is quite noisy. Focuses in steps similar to the 24-105mm, but seems way quicker. AF-C in video in advanced mode is ok but a lot of motor noise and noisy aperture blades as well.

Pretty disappointed with the 24-105mm. Will give it a go, but will probably end up trying to get the Sony.

Physically the Metabones is kind of annoying, its got a very hard ridge with knurling, so it rubs against my finger when holding the grab. Might have to put a strip of duct tape or something on it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Did another shoot today in a gloomy shed, and the focus hunted terribly on the 24-70, 50, and 100. Eye follow focus had no hope, and using back button focus was not much better, even with the modelling light turned on. Rather disappointing, as it is a light level my 5DII would easily focus in.

I found another neat touch I like - when shooting in manual and there is a strobe trigger (and I assume a flash as well) mounted, the EVF automatically adjusts to show you the image. With the trigger is turned off, it reverts back to WYSIWYG mode.

All in all, I like the camera a lot. While the Sony does a lot of things differently to the Canon, they are nothing you can't get used to and I suppose the biggest indicator in my book is that I automatically pick up the sony when I feel like taking a photo. Another note of interest is that I have not had any inclination to pick up and use the Canon at all during a shoot.

nisstrust likes this.
  6. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Is that with the MC-11 and your Canon glass? Echoes my experiences, kinda glad (I guess) that the MC-11 doesn't seem to be much better or worse :confused:

7. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Yeah, MC-11

Played with my Canon Speedlight this morning - turns out the Sony is happy to use it in manual mode.

Pulled it out of the bag this evening to make sure it was all good for a shoot tomorrow morning - and it was really hot, and had a flat battery. (from fully charged this morning) I had left it on, (which is something I always do with my 5D-II) and it obviously didn't go into sleep mode.

Note to self: Turn camera off every time.

8. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Earlier on in this thread, I stated that one of the things I liked about this camera was "ISO 50".

I have changed my mind, and would like that claim to be struck from the record. It is a "Fake" ISO that adjusts the data in the RAW file to emulate a lower ISO that I could live with if it weren't for the strange colour casts given to the image due to clipping of the high end of the colour channels.

9. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea ok, i'm wondering if it would be worth grabbing an MC-11 to see how it works with the 24-105mm, hrm. The more I think about it the more i'm just going to keep an eye out for the Sony 24-105mm and see if there is a good deal before I next go overseas next year. Think I might also grab the Sigma 35mm and 50mm 1.4s. The Samyangs look ok, but the Sigmas aren't that much more expensive. Only downside is the Sigmas are much bigger.

That's weird re the sleep mode, do you have the power save feature turned on?

Yea, the same thing that Canon does?

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Char... EOS 5D Mark III,Sony ILCE-7M3,Sony ILCE-7RM3

Shows a comparison of the Dynamic Range - ISO50 is basically the same as ISO100.

Dark Orange likes this.
  10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

extended iso below native (ISO100 generally) is the same as most cameras - never any point shooting it really when you can do the same in post exposure wise.

11. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

[​IMG]

Eye follow focus + IBIS is worth the price of admission alone into the Sony universe.

While complicated, the system works as advertised and I have zero regrets jumping to it. Hopefully in the new year I will be able to take up an offer to test drive a selection of native lenses, so I will see if native glass is worth double the price of the equivalent Canon glass.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    nisstrust likes this.
  12. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

The Sony 28mm f2, 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 are greatly affordable if you want to test out native lenses

The GM lenses are super nice but I don't feel they're worth their price personally. They definitely don't hold their value quite as well as Canon or Nikon in terms of resale value. The general purpose 24-105mm f4 lens is amazingly sharp too, albeit also a bit pricey, but it'd be the only zoom that I'd be sorta interested in getting for the size/weight and versatility. The 100-400mm is another I'd love to have...but I don't shoot enough stuff at that length too often that I could justify the cost. Currently using a Tamron 150-600mm adapted via MC-11

13. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

How does the Sony 85 f/1.8 compare to the Canon version which is only half the cost? I would be very surprised it would be as good, let alone better.

14. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

I have both native albeit Zeiss batis 85 and Sigma and compared to my canon 85L with metabones III but with upgraded v firmware. I find they are both equal in good lighting/contrast. In bad light the native mounts win out. I’d say that Sony natives would be even better.

15. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The 85L isn't the sharpest lens in the fleet, (My old 85/1.8 was a better lens in just about every respect, except for the 1.2 obviously) but the general internet vibe seems to lean towards the Sony as being the better lens, and like the Canon effort, being the best value for money lens in their collection.

In which case, that may as well be my next purchase. :)

16. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

I meant autofocus rather than pixel peeping qualities , FYI

17. Xang

Xang Member

The Sony 85mm f/1.8's only shortcoming is the f/1.8 aperture. It is a brilliant lens and great value.

The 28/2 is also very reasonable at a low price and the 55/1.8 outperforms its seemingly mid-range placement.

GM primes are largely equal or in a few cases cheaper than their CaNikon equivalents. Not sure which lenses you think are twice the cost.

18. clonex

clonex Member

is the A6000 still a worthy purchase, hardley normal has it with the kit lens for $638.

Sporting a Nex5n with pancake and what ever the zoom lens was but low light performance aint great inside and the D300 ia just too bulky so its sat unused Along with the D200 for years.

19. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Sony FE 85 f/1.8 = $790-900
    Canon 85 f/1.8 = $410-500

20. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

The problem with this comparison is that the Canon 85 1.8 is not a comparison for the Sony version. If you take them both and shoot them on an A7RII/III you can immediately see that the canon not as sharp and has much more fringing wide open.