Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Used the Sony 85/1.8 today in anger and am in two minds about it. Yes, it was sharp, and yes, the camera focused quickly and easily every single time without fuss.

However, if it was pointed in an even vaguely easterly direction on today's severly overcast morning (even with a lens hood on) then the resulting photos showed a severe lack of contrast. Will have to do some testing I think.

2. Athiril

Athiril Member

Any samples? I haven't had that happen to me

3. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

None that I am willing to share. I will try to replicate the problem to make sure it was not just a one-off.

4. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

A bit of background with the EVF for those not familiar - it is implimented *really* well. In normal mode, it is WISIWIG so if you are underexposed, then the image you see will be underexposed. If you stick a flash or trigger into the hotshoe, then the EVF will assume you know what you are doing and will show you a correctly exposed image regardless of the settings.

So today I decided to try something quite different - I was in a very dark room and wanted harsh direct lighting so I put my only speedlight (a Canon) onto the Sony body and shot with the camera in shutter priority and -2 stops EV, and the speedlight in manual mode.

In this scenario, the camera doesn't recognise there is a flash attached, so defaults to a wisiwyg EVF, which gave me a black image in the viewfinder. I couldn't be arsed trying to find the settings to make the EVF show the proper image, so just pointed in the general direction of the model and pressed. It is really weird having the little green focus confirmation square flash on a completely black viewfinder, but it nailed the focus every time.

5. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

And another interesting thing I picked up today - the focus micro-adjustment in the menu system *only* works for non-Sony glass. If your Sony lens or body is out, then the only solution is to send the kit to Sony for calibration.

6. Xang

Xang Member

The relevant setting is 'Live View Display' under Display/AutoReview2 page.

I have mine included in My Menu as I flick it on and off each wedding.

7. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Its only there for when the La-ea4 is used (their adapter for A-mount glass that uses its own AF system like a DSLR)
    The AF on sensor with any other glass/adapter means that MFA is never needed, hence greyed out.

8. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Makes sense.
    Met up with an event photographer who claimed that *both* ( :O ) of her A7Riii bodies were front focusing so had to be sent away. Personally, I'd be looking for a common factor, like the shutter actuator.

9. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Just a heads up for those that are interested, Metabones released a new firmware update for their EF-FE adapters, v0.60, one of the changes being improved AF reliability and reduced hunting. In my quick testing it dramatically improves AF reliability with the Canon 24-105mm F4L that I was struggling with. Yet to test any others but that's really nice. Still not going to stop me from getting the Sony 24-105mm and 16-35mm due to size, but it's certainly a nice update.

10. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

Oh the timing I had a metabones iv updated to the latest firmware back in feb. the 24-105 native is very compelling for a go anywhere lens.

11. clonex

clonex Member

12. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea, did a bit more quick testing and it made a huge amount of difference across all of my EF lenses, much more reliable and faster.

Despite that, though, I ended up picking up the Sony 24-105mm f4, 16-35mm f4 and Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art FE with the ebay sales going on, for my upcoming trip to Europe in May :) Should be more reliable and much smaller/more light weight.

nisstrust likes this.
  13. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Soooo the Sigma 50mm Art is.... rather large and heavy. Might regret getting it instead of the Sony 55mm f1.8, hrm!

14. 13atman

13atman Member

The 55 1.8 is such a beauty

15. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

You're a beauty.

The 55mm is so razor sharp too for something that really feels like a toy.

16. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The 1.8 might be lighter, but it's not 1.4.

And speaking of heavy...

[​IMG]

17. 13atman

13atman Member

Oh u!

18. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

^ So much chunk.

No but seriously, it's bigger than the 24-105mm, it's massive! Its super sharp and the bokeh is very nice I guess. I mean I knew it was big before I bought it, that was the main complaint about it, but I didn't realise it was that big. Guess it's too late now, just spent a lot of money on three new lenses, can't really turn around and also buy the 55mm f1.8 :(

19. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I'm still using the Canon mount 50 Art + MC-11 so I fully know what you mean Modafroman

20. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

The 55mm 1.8 is so small it looks a little funny on a gripped A7iii