Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

of all the lenses i used on my a7's the 55mm stuck out at me, that zeiss falloff and micro contrast was really nice
    Never liked the 50mm focal length so skipped it generally

2. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Did a shoot yesterday using my Canon 50/1.2 wide open for the first time, and not particularly impressed with the results, certainly when compared with the EF 85/1.8. It looks more of a focus issue than a softness issue, but may be a bit of both so I am going to have to do some experimenting I think.

And while a new FE 85/1.4 is the same retail price as the EF 50/1.2, I am not sure it is worth the $1k changeover pricetag to get one.

3. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

That's strange. Your focus should be better with the Sony camera than Canon. Shouldn't have focus issues on mirrorless.

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yep something going on there
    manual focus it (using magnified view)

5. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The chimp view looks good, so didn't realise it was an issue until I got home and looked at the results on the computer. If I'd known it wasn't nailing the focus, I'd have looked a little more into it.

As I said, more experimenting required but being a 50mm, I was shooting a different style to the longer 85 and 100mm I usually use so that may have been part of the reason.

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yeah I am loving the 55 much more than I thought I would.

I have used and know how nice the 50 1.4 Zeiss is though, I think ill probably end up with a copy of each (and have the 55 for travel).

I thought that little bit longer than 50 would annoy me but its mostly great. And the way it renders is just awesome.

The 85GM is next level as well, thus far that is my favourite bit of glass since switching.

The 24-70 is a much bigger step above the Canon as well.

Pickup my 16-35GM this week so keen to give that a spin

13atman and nisstrust like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

When chimping on the Canon, I can zoom into the image then go to the next image and I will be at the same zoom which allows me to quickly and easily flick through a series of photos checking one specific detail. Am I able to set the A7RIII up the same?

8. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

On the A7III (non-R) this is achieved by turning either front or back command dial.

Deftone2k likes this.