Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

of all the lenses i used on my a7's the 55mm stuck out at me, that zeiss falloff and micro contrast was really nice
    Never liked the 50mm focal length so skipped it generally

2. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Did a shoot yesterday using my Canon 50/1.2 wide open for the first time, and not particularly impressed with the results, certainly when compared with the EF 85/1.8. It looks more of a focus issue than a softness issue, but may be a bit of both so I am going to have to do some experimenting I think.

And while a new FE 85/1.4 is the same retail price as the EF 50/1.2, I am not sure it is worth the $1k changeover pricetag to get one.

3. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

That's strange. Your focus should be better with the Sony camera than Canon. Shouldn't have focus issues on mirrorless.

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yep something going on there
    manual focus it (using magnified view)

5. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The chimp view looks good, so didn't realise it was an issue until I got home and looked at the results on the computer. If I'd known it wasn't nailing the focus, I'd have looked a little more into it.

As I said, more experimenting required but being a 50mm, I was shooting a different style to the longer 85 and 100mm I usually use so that may have been part of the reason.

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yeah I am loving the 55 much more than I thought I would.

I have used and know how nice the 50 1.4 Zeiss is though, I think ill probably end up with a copy of each (and have the 55 for travel).

I thought that little bit longer than 50 would annoy me but its mostly great. And the way it renders is just awesome.

The 85GM is next level as well, thus far that is my favourite bit of glass since switching.

The 24-70 is a much bigger step above the Canon as well.

Pickup my 16-35GM this week so keen to give that a spin

13atman and nisstrust like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

When chimping on the Canon, I can zoom into the image then go to the next image and I will be at the same zoom which allows me to quickly and easily flick through a series of photos checking one specific detail. Am I able to set the A7RIII up the same?

8. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

On the A7III (non-R) this is achieved by turning either front or back command dial.

Deftone2k likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Had two frustrating issues with the Sony menu system over the last couple of weeks.

Decided to try to shoot manual with a Canon speedlight at a party and discovered that I had a black screen on the EVF because it was underexposed and the camera didn't know there was a flash attached. Unfortunately, I couldn't for the life of me find the menu setting that changed the EVF to show an image regardless of the exposure. I know the menu option is there, I just couldn't find it. Eventually, I gave up and put the camera away.

The other was me pre-empting a video opportunity by researching video settings and storing changed settings into the memory slots. One of the changes was altering the custom button I had set for manual focus and assigning it to something else, setting focus to manual, and assigning a colour profile of S-log. This was, as I understood, a change that came into effect only when I selected 1,2 or 3 on the mode dial. Turns out I either set it up wrong, or misunderstood the way things work because I when I pulled my camera out a couple of weeks later at a shoot, I was stuck in S-log for stills photography. Which has a minimum ISO of 800. And I had no idea where to set it back. (thank you mobile phone/Google) And then I was also stuck in manual focus mode, and my custom button to change it back no longer worked.

Meanwhile, assistant and model are twiddling their thumbs while I try to get my camera working. :(

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yep its something i hated on Sony too
    The setting is live view display - setting effect

And i think that Sony doesnt let you have different settings between video/stills as you noticed
    Shooting more video with nikon mirrorless, its a flick of a switch

11. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Did a shoot today, alternating between my Sony 85/1.8 and Canon 50/1.2.

I still stand by my claim that Sony lenses are expensive, but cannot deny that they run rings around my old Canon glass when it comes to sharpness. (Although I am starting to think that the issue people have with the Sony's 'colour science' is actually due to the Sony lenses)

12. Deftone2k

I really dont think its that simple a comparison. The lenses, their quality and the prices simply dont match up for 'specs'.

If the new Canon RF glass is anything to go by, then Sony is priced quite well in the mirrorless scape for its glass line up. I am super happy with all my purchases, especially the big items like 16-35GM, 24-70GM and 85GM. Comparatively my kit value is pretty close to what I paid for my Canon kit. I did benefit from some good deal hunting and getting some good pricing.

Definitely the Sony files are a lot flatter out of the camera on first look, but the range and tones you can get out of them is awesome. I think a lot of people just arent great at getting their colour grading/presets right to get the most out of it (not saying you are like that, just the general consensus of people who didnt give it a proper run through).

I cant imagine going back anymore.. time to let go of my Canon kit.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  13. humanrace

humanrace Member

I just bought the a7iii :O

I am surprised it didnt come with a charger lol. Needless to say I didnt't do a lot of research - all I know is that the sensor is better then my 5D mk2 and thats all that is important to me right now haha

Is the Sigma MC-11 still a good choice? I will be adapting both Sigma (35A) and canon (16-35L II, 85L I, 135L, 70-200/2.8 II). The Canon glass I have is all older. Is this the current cheapest place to get it?
    https://www.catch.com.au/product/si...=7&asp=7&aqi=381fd5d0a7d4ab910cbf304ecbd520f1

edit: I should add, I pretty much only use the 16-35 these days and essentially never touch the other lenses

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM
  14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

No charger?! Charge in body only? I'm looking at grabbing one (have been since it came out but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it) and didn't know this either.

15. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

So is anyone using adapted glass with a Sony A7 III? ie, with the sigma adapter... Does it worth with IBIS with adapted glass?

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

The MC11 is the best adapter
    Yes the A7iii doesnt come with a charger (the more expensive bodies do) - just pickup an aftermarket one.

Vladdo: yep the MC11 supports ibis - adapter just makes the body think its a native lens attached

17. humanrace

humanrace Member

Anyone using L bracket? - Which one? any trouble taking battery out with the L bracket you have?

18. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The a7Riii comes with a charger, but I only used it once and now find charging through the microUSB or the USB-C port far more convenient.

Adapted glass does indeed take advantage of the IBIS, although the focussing is not as good as it is on Canon bodies. And the benefit of mirrorless is the reduced flange distance, allowing you to pretty much buy an adaptor to adapt pretty much any lens in existance, even those pre-war Russian manual focus lenses. (And they get IBIS!)

19. Deftone2k

I am using the Smallrig L Bracket and its great, super happy with it (Have an RRS one for my 5D) https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-sony-a7iii-a7m3-a7riii-a9-2122.html

As for charger, there is a 4 port charger which is great for us wedding shootings. Comes with 2 spare batteries as well. The improvements in battery life in firmware releases has been great though, as are these newer batteries. I pretty much go through 3-4 batteries for a whole wedding which is great considering I dont have auto-off enabled for a short switch off (so screens are on most of the day).

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras-batteries-chargers/npa-mqz1k

Aftermarket wise, there is a Hahnel 2 bay charger that also looks the goods, that is what I was going to get before I went the 4 bay :)

Schliebs on here has been doing a lot of testing and finding with the latest firmware updates and the updates for the adapter that the Metabones is doing pretty great (the latest one).

I personally have the MC-11 and it's pretty good, once you go Sony glass though its hard to go back :)

I found the longer focal lengths are where it starts to lack the most, mostly in the outer points and as soon as it gets a bit darker. Having said that, still focused better than on my Canon bodies lol

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM
  20. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Just looking at some of the A7R3 raws are just insane.. The detail in the pixels is astonishing.. and there's just so many of them.. As a sports only shooter, my only concern is I do wonder how good the AF would be with adapted canon lenses.. Coz sign me up.. frig me dead.. 42mp @ 10fps!