Jumping to Sony

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2018.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It's been really hard to not give in and grab a A73 body with the discounting happening this last week. DCW/DigiDirect at $2250 and now VideoPro ebay for $2128 in the eBay sale.

It seems like the G9 will live to see another day though. Looks from the wife gives and the cost to get back to where I am with the focal lengths I enjoy scare me again :( I will have to live vicariously through you guys a bit longer.

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

its why my D850 is my go too camera in everything except the worst light (and no adapted lens issues to worry about!)
    Cropping takes on a whole new meaning

3. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Had a chat to a friend who said that the A7R AF isn't as good as the A7, as the A7 has the same AF engine as the A9.. and when using adapted lenses, won't be anywhere as snappy as I experience on my canons.. Plus I think the burst mode won't be able to handle my shooting style as I'll frequently curse at the buffer/writing limits.

Still.. I'll be watching this space for some time.. With $20k+ in canon lenses, I don't have the means to switch over.

4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Nothing a couple bucks on eBay doesn't fix. Get the Wassabi deal with a charger and a couple batteries for about the price of a single genuine battery.

I have the cheapest one I found on eBay. Works perfectly. Can access all of the doors. The battery door relocates to the bottom of the L-Bracket so no issue with accessing the battery, although I wouldn't use it in less than ideal weather.

In all testing I have seen there is negligible difference in the focusing abilities of the two. But I do think the buffer would be your biggest issue. Nothing an A9 wouldn't fix ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Yeah, detail is amazing.
    However, the EVF framerate would make it difficult to time the shots. (but as you say, 20fps)

My bet would be to testdrive an a7Riii + Adaptor and see if it works to your expectations, noting that the lower resolutioned A7iii has (apparently) got slightly better focus abilities.

6. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I don't know of an easy way to share a raw file, but here is a SOOC jpeg for those who like to pixel peep.

Sony a7Riii + Sony 85/1.8 + OCF
    ISO 100
    1/250
    f/2.5

[​IMG]

7. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

That's my problem.. I don't know anyone that has either.. but yeah.. a test drive would be awesome..

8. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

[​IMG]

While we're pixel peeping, I photographed the above scene with a range of gear, just imported the RAW, cropped to be roughly the same scene, and saved with no mods.
    Al shots taken at ISO 100, f/9 and 1/200.

Canon 5D mkii + 24-70 f/2.8 ii @ 70mm
    Sony a7Riii + MC11 + 24-70 f/2.8 ii @ 70mm

These were done on auto WB and ended up different, so I modified the Canon WB (in RAW) to be the same as the Sony
    Canon 5D mkii + 24-70 f/2.8 @ 70mm + adjusted WB
    And a bonus image:
    Sony a7Riii + Sony 85/1.8

Conclusions: Ignoring the resolution differences, the results are all surprisingly similar between camera bodies. What really surprised me was the clear winner in tests performed in the field (Sony 85/1.5) was actually slightly outperformed by the Canon 24-70. I rarely shoot f/9 in the field, so I suspect it performs better at wider apertures. I can see I may have to re-do the test when I find the time with a range of apertures and a custom white balance.

9. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Just got back from my first overseas trip (Italy and Greece) with my A7RIII Kit. Brought the Sony 24-105mm f4 and 16-35mm f4, Samyang 35mm f2.8 and Sigma 50mm f1.4. Used the 24-105mm 90% of the time, the rest between the 16-35mm and the 35mm f2.8. Used the Sigma once haha, probably wasn't worth bringing but it stayed in my luggage so wasn't really onerous to bring. Loved the size/weight compared with my previous 5D3 kit, having wifi capability to be able to transfer a few photos to my phone each night and post on Instagram, and USB-C charging, didn't have to bring the bulky battery charger, just used our travel adapter which has a few USB ports on it. Always like the EVF, but it can get a bit frustrating waiting for it to switch between the back screen and the EVF all the time (also the EVF sensor is super sensitive and can keep the camera from going to sleep when you put it down and walking etc). The AF is awesome as well, especially with the firmware 3.0 changes, it just snaps quickly into focus and I forgot about focus mainly, which is nice. Eye-AF is awesome, and makes it easy to hand over to someone to take a photo of both of us and know that it will always be in focus.

Absolutely chewed through memory cards, the size of the files is massive and fills up even 128GB cards crazy quick (total count was approx ~13800 photos and ~1055gb over 4 weeks). Did have memory card anxiety as I didn't bring enough, had to switch to compressed RAW for the last week as I wasn't going to make it to the end of the trip, actually ended up working out pretty well, took the last photo on the last memory on the way to the airport on our last day! Chews through batteries as well, had to swap to the second battery on a few days, never fully ran out though, even on big days.

My one major annoyance is that when you have the camera on a strap swinging by your side, and turned on, it will very frequently brush a button and change a setting. So many times I would have my camera down, bring it up to take a photo and it will have set itself to ISO 50 or bracketing mode or something stupid like that. There is no good lock mode for the buttons on it, only for the two dials, which isn't particularly helpful. The only thing I can see to fix this is to unset every single button to no function, but then you loose all functionality, or to turn the camera off every time you finish taking a photo, both super annoying. Anyone else have this problem?

I did also have a few times where the camera was getting really slow and laggy, I think this is related to memory cards though because if I eject a card it goes back to normal speed for some reason?

Oh yea, and the photos coming out of it look awesome. IQ is off the charts.

All in all pretty happy with the swap, just a few things still to get used to.

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I think one of the Northrups on Youtube did a video specifically about that 'feature' on the Sonys. Unfortunately their only suggestion was what you suggested - map all the buttons to nothing :(

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I shoot compressed RAW, dont really see the need to shoot uncompressed (especially when travelling). That is a lot of memory to chew through!

I have the trash can button set to disable touch function on the screen (as that is what I bump the most when shooting, especially weddings). Otherwise I find it happens less and less when shooting a strap like the moneymaker, when I am travelling I just have the auto off feature set to the fastest switch off. The wake up time you get used too once its set to that for a while.

12. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea I saw that, and thought surely it'll be fine, but turns out I have the same issue that Chelsea did.... I swear, every second time I picked up the camera it had been set to ISO 51200 in bracketing mode and DMF for no particular reason. Pretty frustrating, just something to get used to I guess...

Yea I probably should have started out in compressed raw, but I thought I would be fine until I chewed through three of my 128GB cards in the first week of the trip. Switched to compressed raw soon after and managed to stretch them out (got to the bottom of the barrel using random 8gb cards and micro sd cards in adapters I had in my bag haha). It wasn't so much the touch screen, but all the other custom (although that did happen a lot, bring the camera up to my eye and it was set on a focus point in the corner, will have to look into the disable touch function). I had it set to 10s shutoff, but even that only worked half the time because of the EVF sensor. Just got into the habit of switching it off when I put it down. I have a peak designs strap which is awesome, way better than the blackrapid straps (and have awesome CS, just put a warranty claim through and they approved it and shipped a replacement in less than 24 hours). As an aside, didn't realise how ubiqutious the holdfast straps like the moneymaker are until I worked out our wedding photographer (6 weeks ago!) was using one, thar you go.

13. Deftone2k

Yeah the files are just too big uncompressed for not much gain. Maybe an epic landscape shot i'd switch it off.

Also a handy tip is shooting SMALL JPEG as well if you cull in Photo mechanic and not Lightroom as the JPEG previews are tiny embedded in the RAW and this way you can cull fast and zoom/see the full detail if need be.

And yes so many of us use the Money Maker but I mean I have had mine for what 5 or 6 years now and its been rock solid the whole time. Recondition it a couple of times a year and it's golden.

I would only potentially consider a similar style strap that I could split into two. I have had black rapids and whilst they are functional I am just not that keen on the material/look. It would be a bit easier to travel with though comparatively. Having said that often ill hike with my money maker on and clip my water bottle to one side and have my camera on the other.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but that is a crazy amount of pictures to take in such a short period of time!!! I have less than that (both qty and GB) since I started shooting digital about 10 years ago. How on earth do you get time to go through all of those? Do you pre-vis or anything?

Genuinely interested

15. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

When at an airshow, I'll do that in a day :p

16. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Heheh I get it at an airshow, lots of burst stuff / brackets etc. Completely understandable and probably quite wise! But a holiday, sheesh!

Also Vladdo I'm in Melbourne and have an A73, no EF adaptor though. If you can source an adapter perhaps I could lend it to you with some kind of deposit/exchange or something.

17. humanrace

humanrace Member

Something I dont understand, why doesn't sony have lossless compression for their raw files?

18. MickybD

MickybD Member

I've been keenly watching these Sony threads for some time as I am contemplating switching from Canon (1DX/5DIII) to a Sony A7III (initially with a mount converter, but if I like the body then I'll probably go for native Sony mount glass), and one thing that has me intrigued is all of the talk over a long period of time about Sony's terrible menu system. Not so much on here, and not lately, but it's a fairly common item people comment on. For you longer-term Sony users, is it something that has changed/improved over time, or is Sony really stubborn and just totally ignores that feedback? Just wondering if it's something that is likely to change, or it just is what it is and you get to know your way around it.

19. Xang

Xang Member

You hear that feedback because people are stupid.

The menu has more options because more of the camera is customisable than most DSLR's. You can set up a 'My Menu' (just like in every camera ever) which means you rarely need the other parts of the menu, and there are so many customisable buttons that you rarely need that for actual shooting either. Sony has a few nitpicks but this is not one of them.

If you use a 1DX you may find the A9 a more suitable comparison, especially now that it's only $4000.

20. Deftone2k

It's just different. As in there are shit loads of options. I dont feel like its any less busy than every other menu structure for each manufacturer. You just have a lot more things you can do, and they need to go somewhere in the menu.

I think a lot of people just dont use custom menus and then got stuck having to dive through pages and pages of options to find what they want.

So basically within a day or two of me switching I was used to it. I simply setup 2 pages of the most frequent things I use in the menu and I can access it all within a few button presses.

The annoying thing still there is

The clock - Sony for some reasons has left out the seconds on the clock.. so its really shit for syncing times with other non Sony users (if that is something you need to do). AS you have to make sure they sync on the minute.
    The writing to card menu - It's really convoluted to me.. if you have it set to write simultaneously to two cards but you only have 1 in.. it wont fire. It's just a bit of a dumb menu (but not one you have to change often)
    The serial number - On the A73 at least the files do not write the serial to EXIF. Which is annoying (used to be a filter for me in LR). So just have to use custom names for the cameras (and make sure if you have someone shooting for you they do the same).

Thats pretty much my gripe with the Sony menu.