1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Just bought a new guitar, is it actually new though? help!

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Nukeyb0i, May 14, 2020.

1. Nukeyb0i

Nukeyb0i Member

heya, i just bought my very first guitar. its a squier affinity stratocaster hss, came in a pack with a cheap amp and accessories, i just sat down to give it a go.. peeled of the plastic from the pick guard, and noticed what i think is a few dings? im i crazy? is this normal for a brand new guitar or have i been sold some kind of ex demo or return unit? i literally took it out of the box just then so i dont see how i could of damaged it this easily. there was a string attatched to one of the tuners with no tag on it which i thought was wierd also.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    Nukeyb0i

Nukeyb0i Member

edit, i just noticed there is another piece of plastic underneath the one i already peeled off, but im still unsure of the scratches.

3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Its a squire... very cheaply made... if you bought it retail here I'd ask about the scratches

4. OP
    OP
    Nukeyb0i

Nukeyb0i Member

yeah, i bought it from derringer music, had it shipped but it was new.

5. ex4n

ex4n Member

Hard to tell from the pics, could have been scratched up when it was assembled. If it's a deep scratch through both layers of plastic you could get a better picture of that and send it to the seller and question it.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much if everything else seems ok and it's just a light scratch or two, you will start to scuff the pickguard as you begin playing anyway. If there is chipping or other more severe damage may be worth trying to replace it.

6. Boneman

Boneman Member

As long as the wiring is solid I wouldn't worry about it. Sure you paid for a new one, but at this price range it's likely been sitting on the floor and had a million hands on it already.

Just play it and add your own dents and scratches to it, these are perfect guitars to take with you everywhere and not worry about getting damage.

7. OP
    OP
    Nukeyb0i

Nukeyb0i Member

yeah its not too bad, i think if i have the mentality of babying it ill never actually use the thing so yeah, thanks everyone

8. ex4n

ex4n Member

9. ndt

ndt Member

I had a similar thing with a guitar from Mannys. Bought "new" and shipped to Perth and it had a pile of light swirl marks in the paint and human grub on the pickups and hardware. Ended up cleaning it up and selling it off. Looks like your scratches might be limited to the pickguard so you could always replace the pickguard down the track.

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

This seems to be not too uncommon and accepted for music shops? I had the same issue with a ' new' guitar amp , I knew it was last they had on floor but they threw it in the wrong box, and left it covered in dust and the odd blemish / scratch . Was a bit pissed off . It was a good price (clearance) so I was willing to accept the sort of slight nick or whatever from floor stock, but it was beyond that.