Just built my first PC.

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by KezR, Apr 30, 2012.

1. KezR

KezR Member

Some quick specs:

i5 2500K (not overclocked, yet.)
    Sapphire 7870 OC edition
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Corsair H40 Hydro cooler
    Fractal Arc Midi case

I had a friend assist me with the build, but we didn't use any thermal paste on the CPU as we didn't have any AS5 available (something he claimed we needed). Just wondering how important this paste is, and what are safe operating temperatures for my core and GPU.

It seems to idle around 25-30C, but when gaming will spike to 40-45C. Is this okay? My friend claimed anything over 45C was bad, but after some google research it seems a lot of computers run at 70-80C.

Thanks for any help.

2. josh_676

josh_676 Member

3. OP
    OP
    KezR

KezR Member

Hrmm, that's a scary read. There is some sort of paste that came pre-applied, but my mate reckons we need AS5 still before OCing, or doing any serious gaming.

4. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Just grab it tommorow mate, 200 dollars is too much to gamble on it.

5. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

You just left the thermal tape that came on the H40, on. Right?

6. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Im probably going to get flamed for this, but if its working fine with the standard paste, just let it be. Your temps seem to be pretty good.

7. d-Z1R3

d-Z1R3 Member

i agree with above poster, your mate is full of it! specific tin is required for gaming and oc'ing. i wouldn't let him touch my computer. if the tin is that important, he wouldn't of let you turn on the computer. the standard stuff on the h40's is fine to use as long as your not trying to crank the hell out of the cpu, mind you, i wouldn't be cranking it too much with just a h40 anyway!

8. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

tell your mate to stick it where the sun dont shine. the default thermal paste that is on the heatsink is fine. its not like you are overclocking.

when you do decide to overclock. then get the AS5 later. when you do go with the AS5. clean off the thermal pad that came with the heatsink. you can use alcohol or those wet wipes.

9. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

You'll be fine with the stock stuff. Decent thermal paste might help shave a few degrees off but not enough to really affect your overclock (not that I'd really call AS5 a decent paste anymore. Good but not great).

As for overclocking the cpu keep temps under 70' and vcore under 1.35 and it should be fine for years to come. (I think your cpu cooler will lose the fight against the heat before the volts get that high though)

10. glasswindow

glasswindow Member