1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Just Cause 4

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by elvis, Jun 12, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I was a big fan of JC2 and JC3, and quite excitingly got to work on the trailer for the E3 announcement of JC4 a while back. Now it's announced, so I can finally talk about it. :)

South American militia something something, physics from crazy weather something something, more tethers, more booster rockets, balloons on tethers, more totally bananas explosions. Stupid fun, can't wait.

walker_2003, kbekus and Rickm like this.
  2. power

power Member

So many opportunities for hilarity and mayhem.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    elvis and walker_2003 like this.
  3. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

This looks like my wallet just opened.

Edit: No Multi-Player, damn wallet closed. I only play games with mates!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

5. power

power Member

looks damn fine, hoping they do well in a crowded end of the year.

6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Insane gfx.. Jc3 was fun getting about but the huge map was just boring between cities where this one is so pretty and detailed it won't be an issue.

Fingers crossed the AI is improved and more fun to take on.

No MP is a shame the modded jc2 showed its a ball haha.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

My only gripe with JC3 was how quickly I finished it (100%) compared to JC2. Let's hope 4 ramps up the difficulty and amount of stuff to do.

8. Sankari

Sankari Member

I loved JC2. Haven't even finished LC3 yet!

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Hooray, the trailer our studio worked on finally got released!

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

The balloons look like another fun entry in the "create absolute mayhem" toolkit.

Did they ever fix all the problems caused by "always online" in JC3? I still haven't bothered to install it, but loved JC2.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  11. havabeer

havabeer Member

as someone who's never played a JC game, do i need to play the others to get what its about

also... what part of the E3 trailer did you work on?

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Nope. It's just stupid fun. The story is utterly pointless.

JC1 you can definitely miss. It was terrible. 2 and 3 are both lots of fun, but not necessary to enjoy what's coming. With that said, both are really cheap on console and PC, and frequently come up on digital specials.

A handful of bits pinched from the "Eye of the Storm" trailer I posted above. That's the complete one with way more of our stuff in it (car crash stuff, particle effects, explosions, weather effects, etc).

13. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

JC1 was basically a testing ground for the idea, but they didn't get it right until JC2. One of the extremely rare games I paid full price for and didn't regret it for a second. I spent at least a hundred hours in there...

14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

What I would absolutely LOVE too see in this game is the total and absolute destruction you could inflict on just about anything as seen in Red Faction.

Could you imagine the chaos and destruction you could cause if you could take down entire buildings including skyscrapers in the larger cities? :D

Love the game as it is but that would be icing on the cake for me.

walker_2003 likes this.
  15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Watched some footage of a guy who played few hours. Looks good. Though he made a good point and that is just how epic Co op would be. A shame.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Just as epic as the development cost and business risk.

17. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I think Co op popularity has shown it pays off to put the effort in. Even if they did it as a future dlc. Modders successfully added Multiplayer to #2 which is impressive considering it had zero support for it. That was insane.

Don't think is any risk to doing it as Co op is optional,unless it meant delaying on a promised release date, but if it was factored in development the release date would be adjusted to suit.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

It's thousands of extra man hours of devices time, testing, support, patching.

It's almost impossible to explain and appreciate unless you've ever written code for money (not as a hobby, but your mortgage depends on it).

That's a risk, plain and simple. That work needs to generate more sales, and at the right scale. A few extra thousand sales might not cut it. Sometimes doing less and keeping a smaller core audience satisfied makes more business sense. And commercial games are a business.

If you're ever in doubt, quit your job and run your own games dev studio. I wish you all the luck in the world.

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Not starting another silly argument with you it's always the same thing. Start your own dev comp bla bla.

Simple fact is the game would be better with co op/multi, a view shared by many.

Doesn't mean it won't be fun though.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Of course it would be better. And if course it would be fun. But you, like many game consumers, need to understand why "better" isn't a good enough reason to always bother, commercially. $10 million in extra work for $1 million in extra sales is a 90% loss.

Alternatively, would you pay more for multiplayer? A subscription fee? Probably not.

I could fill 30 pages on things that would make Just Cause (or any game) better. Those same 30 pages of stuff would probably send the company broke.

Just realising that fact alone would shut down 90% of the sorts of complaints I read on forums and social media. It also explains why so many developers choose not to listen to audiences on those same platforms, shutting down their accounts, and why so many of them suffer depression after years in the industry.