Just Cause 4

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by elvis, Jun 12, 2018.

1. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

You're not talking about the "recent" article from 2004 you posted above are you?

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm talking about articles that come out literally every month. The one from 2004 was the first big one in pubic attention, but wasn't the first overall. The most recent "big" one detailed the goings on at Rockstar leading up to the RDR2 release, which is current 2018 information. It's systemic, cancerous, has been happening for decades and isn't getting better.

And whatever makes the media is the tip of the iceberg. I know a lot of folk in the professional creative industries. Good people who are abused because they happen to be passionate about their craft. The right thing to do would be for all of them to strike at once (similar to the writer's strike of a few years back). But then I'm sure there'd be pages upon pages of ranting in forums like these about "lazy" developers.

The current trend is people digging into code to criticise the use of pre-baked tools. As if re-inventing the wheel on every single game was the best and only way to deliver "fully optimised" experience for the PC market, and bring time to market and cost down.

The customer base is disgusting, and the way larger companies are being run is disgusting. The whole lot is broken, head to toe, and needs to fundamentally change if we want to see large scale games continue (considering that the content in them is increasing exponentially to match technology, as are the hours humans put in to making them).

The recent indie resurgence was literally born of devs fed up with the Triple-A cycle of BS jumping ship to do their own thing. Sadly it too has turned into an abuse-fest with many devs shutting down all of their social media accounts to avoid the trolls and BS hurled in their direction every time they release something and the anonymous customer base sees fit to keyboard-warrior the shit out of them for the slightest subjective "indiscretions".

This is why *we* can't have nice things. Because *we* are part of the problem. Step 1 is admitting that, and working towards a solution.

When's the last time any of you congratulated a developer for a job well done? For me, it was yesterday, when I thanked the small scale developer and publisher online for a job well done on a game I'd been waiting literally years for. Will that change the industry? No. Is it a start? I dunno - probably not, when you compare the volume of negativity. But how about we try some positivity for once towards the people who make the art we claim to love and enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. Foliage

Foliage Member

4. Foliage

Foliage Member

[​IMG]

Offline mode doesn't work either as it needs an internet connection :/

5. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Offline mode worked for me alright. :confused:

(that was yesterday anyway, haven't had any issues getting connected since that initial try)

6. Rass

Rass Member

I am getting a console next week, this is on my list for games to buy with the console. i played JC2 on 360 and had a blast. Cant wait to give it a go. The easter egg which is currently being publicised is hilarious and I can't wait to experience it myself.

7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Will do, its not my job to fix injustices. I shouldn't pay for sub par quality just to be charitable.. I hope you have several donations set up to charities.

Luckily it isnt capped to 60fps and I can recognise and appreciate the difference between 60fps and 100fps or this 1337 kit would be put to waste.

Maybe these game devs should switch companies/career's if its so horrible for them. Havent seen any articles about issues with Square Enix or Avalanche Studio staff conditions, please share.

the_fuzz likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Fair enough. I genuinely understand and respect that point of view.

My passion level for the games industry and its long term sustainability is pretty high (clearly). So I'm fighting for it.

That's what I keep telling them. With any luck enough of the good ones will bail, and the worse of the worst will collapse on itself. It's one of those "it needs to get worse before it can get better" things, very similar to the writer's strike some years back that ground every single TV show and movie to a complete standstill before anyone listened.

Indeed I do. This one is my favourite.

walker_2003 likes this.
  9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Nice. A different kind of charity. Fred hollows and doctors without borders here.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

I used to run the Australian arm of ChildsPlay with another OCAUer. Together we were responsible for around AU$26K per year (every year) being donated to two large children's hospitals here in Australia over the last 10 years or so. Well over a quarter million by now. It brought wonderful quality-of-life improvements to many kids thanks to the power of video games.

Chances are you (and a large chunk of OCAU) have donated at some point, even if you're not aware you did. Many game retailers and publishers give a portion of profits automatically (especially the indie guys).

Just another reason I want this industry to remain sustainable. Gaming is so much bigger that most people give it credit for as both an art form and even therapy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Spyder6052, kbekus and walker_2003 like this.
  11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Apparently people are claiming Jc3 had better visuals.

Also WAB goes to town on it.. But grain of salt with this guy

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I was somewhat expecting sacrifices to be made for the new weather system. The dynamic nature of that is a very hard thing to compound on top of improved visuals in such a short amount of time.

When you start compounding crazy physics calc things on top of each other, the first thing that gets destroyed is your framerate. Something has to go. You can't just "do a Crysis" and tell everyone to wait 5 years for hardware to catch up.

13. genxor

genxor Member

I cannot play a Just Cause game that doesn't have C4, it just isn't right.

14. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Does the map feel more... empty than JC3 to anyone else? Maybe it's just me, i might not have gotten to the hectic parts yet.

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I dunno the biggest drawback was water surely that could be Jc3 quality without too major issues.

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

The graphics are a real disappointment, its not just the same, some of it is far worse than JC3, eg the water looks like something from 2012. I'm not sure why?

I'm guessing a new engine and they didn't have the funds to finish it. Ghost recon on the other hand looks 10x better in almost all ways.

I would rather they just put the new story/map into the old engine, would have been much cheaper as well. Not sure how this decision would have been justified up top, maybe they couldn't relicense it.

Finally the menu system is absolutely atrocious, there is no back button and I had to ctrl + alt + del to kill the game to get out of it. I found out that right click is "back" after mashing the keyboard and mouse.

Has anyone figured out where mouse sensitivity is? I can't find a slider anywhere in the menus.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    walker_2003 likes this.
  17. Foliage

Foliage Member

After playing for a few hours the game is fun like the original, the blowing stuff up with tanks is definitely more fun than previously.

Graphics are weird, better in a lot ways but also terrible in some ways.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  18. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Oh... and one thing i hate about the game is the inability to change the controls for movement. Can only use WASD, with the game telling me they can't be altered. I use a weird key layout i started with back in the Doom days so it's a huge pain in the ass for me. Might have to do a full remap with razer synapse or something. Ugh.

19. Foliage

Foliage Member

Ok a few more hours in and Ive changed my opinion. Some of the graphics is definitely worse, but most of it is better. Also the game play is way more fun imo.

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

worth the buy? looking for a decent cheap price :D