Just plain confused. NBN & Keeping number.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by ADV, May 22, 2018.

1. ADV

ADV Member

*pulling hair out*

Situation:
    I have a TPG ADSL/2+ connection and separate Telstra account for the home phone.
    I want to move over to NBN-FTTN, but go with mynetfone** VoIP for the home phone.

Q: In what order should I contact these companies* and start the NBN process without losing my existing home phone number?

*Telstra, mynetfone, tpg
    **mynetfone 'Porting number' requires a 'simple line' otherwise the porting will be rejected. A simple line is no adsl no nbn just the phone.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. philquad

philquad Member

pretty sure you cannot port the number to voip
    i needed to keep my home number but was with telstra anyway so fttn was no problem
    altho i dont agree with the last bit, as my nbn has phone on it, but it is fttn not full nbn,?
    if its for calls, i get unlimited calls & mobiles for $10 extra even with telstra,

iprimus do unlimited 50 for $80 with calls & you can port number https://www.iprimus.com.au/internet-support

3. power

power Member

contact your new chosen provider - give them authority to port. that's all you need to do. honestly though, when nbn finally rolls through i'll be glad to be rid of my home phone line/number. no need for the bloody thing now.

CQGLHyperion and Pugs like this.
  4. Pugs

Pugs Member

did this when i had NBN over HFC... mobile is generally attached to my hip anyways... and less spam callers..

5. OP
    OP
    ADV

ADV Member

The porting number requirement is for mynetfone. They wont do a port transfer until I have disconnected from TPG ADSL. Which means weeks without internet while netfone work out my connection, then more weeks without internet while TPG sets up NBN as a fresh user, instead of a straight rollover from adsl to nbn.

Yeah I hear you, except my 80+ year old mum want's to keep it. Hence why I've lost all my hair!

6. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Call TPG tell them the NBN is coming and you want to bring your number - nps. We did it. Cancel Telstra!

7. power

power Member

any reason not to just use TPG NBN and their home phone service - it's cheap as chips. That's what i setup for my mother, she did not have DSL just a telstra landline. porting went fine... eventually. (holdups on the telstra side).

8. callan

callan Member

Personally?? I wouldn't go with either TPG or MNF. That's opinon, though: you're after advice.

I'd stage it out.
    1: Port to TPG, take your existing number with you and port it to TPG. Your situation is far from unusual - it's the norm, and there are well-rehearsed procedures in place. Don't worry about MyNetPhone at this stage. Accept that you'll have to pay a month's worth of "fixed-line??" telephony with TPG. Make sure you don't lock yourself in with a plan that makes dropping the phone difficult. Make sure the router you get supports VOIP with both TPG and MNF. Personally I'd separate VOIP from your router and use a Cisco SPA112 ATA instead.

2: When that's all settled and working talk to MyNetphone and port the number to them, and reprogram your ATA to use MNF instead of TPG.

My reasoning? Because it's FTTN your phone number is kinda the universal "identifier" when carrying across our connection to NBN. Drop it in the middle and things may get messy: I've read the horror stories.
    Once it's with TPG you have your Internet connection and your VOIP sorted, and it means you're only coordinating 2 companies at one time, not 3 when you then disassociate your number from your internet connection.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  9. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

TPG do bundles which have free local and national calls on the NBN and they ported over my old Telstra number.

Previously I had Telstra for Landline and Internode for ADSL and Pennytel VOIP service.

FTTP rolled out in my location.

The TPG FTTP bundle with free local and national calls +100minutes international each month basic package was cheaper then Internode plus Telstra and all of my landline calls are now free, and my number was ported over. The plan was month to month (I preferred to pay the $99 upfront for that) so I could walk away if they were rubbish.

I got rid of Telstra and the VOIP package (Pennytel was progressively getting worse anyway).

https://www.tpg.com.au/nbn

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  10. OP
    OP
    ADV

ADV Member

Reason(s) why I wanted to go with TPG NBN and netfone VoIP:

1) I have trawled whirlpool.net and found out TPG's provided FttN - Wifi huawei and TP LINK supplied modems are cheap and unreliable. Its also a major contributor to slow NBN complaints. Also there is the issue of changing from slow but fault tolerant ADSL protocol to Fast but fault in-tolerant VDSL. So hardware quality is crucial.

2) TPG VoIP service is locked to their own modem, via encrypted firmware lock. They refuse to relinquish config for ATA.

3) You can bridge TPG's NBN modem to your BYO router, but that disables VoIP.

4) TPG push firmware upgrades automatically for included modem. A bad firmware will cripple wifi and slow nbn, and you wont be able to fix it yourself.

Hence here I am.

But i think for now I will have to bite the bullet and see if I can get by on the supplied modem.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    ADV

ADV Member

Damn I just had a thought. My mum is on the homephone+mobile bundle with telstra. If the home number is ported to TPG and that plan is cancelled in the process does that mean she could lose her mobile number?

12. power

power Member

unlikely. as in almost zero chance - just unbundle it. so you've read whirlpool? I dunno parents haven't complained about their net or phone.

13. callan

callan Member

One of the primary reasons I did not go with Telstra with my formerly Telstra Bigpond HFC connection was Telstra's insistence for THEIR VOIP on their own (crappy) router. TPG are cut from the same cloth it seems, with an even shittier router.

You can still do as I suggest: just put up with TPG's crappy router until you can port away to MNF. then bridge /replace away to a real router and configure that up with your new VOIP service.
    I do reiterate: there are better RSP's than TPG.
    You are doing the right thing though: asking all the questions and researching BEFORE taking the big leap:thumbup::thumbup:. There are far more ways a POTS>NBN migration can go wrong than there are for it to go right, and doing your homework and planning things out like you are doing will save you a world of pain.

Callan

14. caspian

caspian Member

that's the killer.

you can't disconnect the existing PSTN service without killing the DSL. regardless of whether the DSL is Telstra or TPG supplied, disconnecting the supporting PSTN kills the DSL "codes" for the line account. if the DSL is Telstra supplied it won't work without coding, if TPG supplied the disconnect triggers a pull-the-jumpers field job so the ISP can't get a free ride.

any "slow" process leaves you without service for some period of time while the various organisations grind their way through their black-boxed, business process defined workflows that can't be overridden.

I have to agree that the most seamless process is to just churn the number to TPG and let them do the entire cutover. if you've got some real burning need to use a separate VSP then churn the number later, but you'll wear any contractual breach with TPG.

one additional consideration - only the RSP for the data service can use the voice-priority NBN traffic class, MNF would be using best-effort data like any other application. the result might not be ideal.

15. OP
    OP
    ADV

ADV Member

Thanks Callan! and everyone!

And thanks Caspian for that detailed response, you have made up my mind! Ill go with TPG nbn/voice now. And yes your right TPG's contract states I cannot separate voice and nbn, If I cancel one I cancel the other.

The only burning need, is to use my own 'high end' VDSL Wifi/router and VoIP on the same NBN connection, TPG's/Telstra's lock-down of hardware/VoIP is troubling (but now that you mention 'NBN voice-priority' that might have something to do with it).

So my only recourse is to hack up a workaround for TPG's supplied modem later on, which has some success I've heard, using the TPG VoIP modem behind another NBN router. Will find out more.

16. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Honestly, i'd just bite the bullet and let TPG handle the VoIP as well. Sure it's a pain, but it just works (tm). I did my grandmother some months ago (similar deal, old landline needed to keep number for overseas rellies), the cut across was smooth and painless and being able to plug the crusty old DECT phone into the managed modem was totally worth it.

The latest TPG modems are OK; wifi is generally improved and functionality while basic is enough to cater for most people.

If it shits the bed I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

Those sound like 4 very good reason to NOT use TPG.

Maybe pick a provider that that does the NBN service and VoIP service you want, than trying to hack together two services that don't meet your needs.

18. power

power Member

this sounds incorrect. When i helped my mother take her service over to TPG the landline was a disaster and we eventually needed what i think was called a complex port (name might be wrong??) The internet went in swift and smoothly with no fuss well before the phone.

this was a FTTN setup.

only caveat she had no internet connection beforehand.

19. bcann

bcann Member

Or option 2, get a new line (Admittedly $300 new line cost) and connect your FTTN (I assume), and then migrate your number to provider of choice...

Personally i NEVER use any modem provided by an ISP, there generally cheap and shit.

20. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Some ISPs with NBN and VoIP won't give you a choice. Use their modem or no VoIP service for you. Telstra are the most notable about this, but it does allow them to control the quality of the device they provide and only support what they provide.