Just Started at a new company and...

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by The Watcher, Dec 3, 2014.

1. The Watcher

The Watcher Member

There's a 2GB limit on the Exchange Mailbox's... seriously... I'm on day 3 and its telling my I have 57MB left....

sigh...

Should I get involved in this shiz and try and change it...

2. power

power Member

No, you should cleanup your mail.

3. OP
    OP
    The Watcher

The Watcher Member

I'm at the start of my 3rd day and I've got by my count... 160Mb of Email in all folders...

4. scrantic

scrantic Member

200MB Limit or 2GB Limit?

I know Coles have a 200mb limit at some levels and then get vaulted to your archive.

5. power

power Member

then you don't have a 2GB limit.

I know that Telstra have internal 200MB inboxes too.

Yeah, it makes them manage shit really well.

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

Leave. Their IT is fucked and you don't have time for that.

Not sure if serious.

7. power

power Member

Not sure if you are serious, you'd leave a job because of a mailbox limit of 2GB?

8. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I think IBM staff have 1gb. Might even be half that. It does force you to manage your email properly, but for good reason - increase the mail quotas in a large company and you'll need to buy another SAN.

5-6 figure SAN vs making people manage their shit better? You can see why companies go with the option you're faced with :)

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Insufficient Data for Meaningful Answer

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

They dont have an enterprise vault and public folders to use? Seriously, we've got 300MB limits and I've got 10,000 items in my inbox.

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Just how much does it cost to not be able to put your hand on an email because you had message limits from the 1920's? In terms of legal fees, lost time, productivity losses etc

a thousand?
    ten thousand?
    a hundred thousand?
    hundreds of thousands?

There is literally no reason to have archaic mailbox limits any more. The cost of increasing storage and thus having mail available on demand in the time it is needed is FAR less than a lost contract, hr issues and all the various problems that go along with that.

Whether this is delivered via Vault, document management or some other messaging system - if you have users making the decision to delete the only copy of company emails, then you have a problem.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

we have a standing limit of 2GB for all users (even IT staff).

if you have a justifiable reason it can be increased up to a maximum of 7GB or so.

if you need to hang on to emails for various reasons we have archive mailboxes available in various sizes.

my archive mailbox has a size limit of 50GB. :)

13. Gunna

Gunna Member

We have 3.5GB limits and use Symantec Enterprise Vault to auto archive emails for internal staff older than 90 days. Still get limit warnings for finance some weeks until the 90 days catches up and archives the emails with attachments, usually happens around months end.

External sales have to manage their own damn mail box as we do not provide laptops, only iPads and Symantec Enterprise Vault doesnt work on iPads. Staff training is key and works here.

14. patto

patto Member

Completely agree. Being able to refer to emails years 6 months or even 2 years back saves me time. What is the marginal cost of a few GB for email for each worker? Negligible.

Employees should have no reason to be deleting emails. The costs of storage is so tiny it is irrelevant. Having tight limits is poor IT management and is costly to business.

Why would you want employees spending time sorting and deleting emails when they could be spending the same time doing productive income producing work?

15. power

power Member

clearly you've never priced something like EV, and if you are going to do mail archiving - you fucking do it right.

Give people massive storage and they simply do not delete anything, so they have masses of shit in there.

Email, is not and never has been a file storage system.

Anytime a user comes to me and says I'm running out of space (this is actually fairly rare with a 2GB mailbox) we simply go into their automatic search folders and look for the largest mail - 90+% of the time the largest items are junk.

16. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

200mb here.. 3 archive pst's totally.. 72gb.

I dont delete email EVER.

17. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

1.7GB of email here.
    821MB in Sent Items
    718MB in Inbox (and all downstream folders)
    133MB in Deleted Items

and half of those Sent Items are forwarding over contracts or documents to other users who needed me to get them via my gmail account.

Some of them can be 25-60MB at a time!

I'm one of those users though who really tries to streamline their email and keep it organised.

18. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

If you have THAT much legitimate corporate email which needs to be retained, then no IT department on the planet will deny you extra storage. If its required as part of your role, you need it, pure and simple.

The issue isn't people like that, its the rest of the employees. All the ones who get emails which don't need to be kept (for the bulk of them), but choose to retain then anyway since it's "too hard" to spend the time to delete them. Throwing more and most costly storage at the main servers to keep these people happy isn't the right solution either.

OBVIOUSLY everyone here is coming from a different perspective.. different businesses, different requirements. For us, keeping the mailfile sized down is critical, as if we don't, the servers fill up really quickly (with 1500+ employees). Not to mention replication times, remote access speeds.. all of that. In the early days of Lotus Notes, if you had a mailfile over 2 GB you ran the very real risk of mailfile corruption.. so it was critical to clean up your mail.

Not sure if serious.. or.. :Paranoid:

19. power

power Member

sounds serious, running out of room on the mailserver? Just go to Officeworks and buy a hard drive for $99!

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

And why do you need to send contracts or documents out via gmail for users to get them?