Kaby Lake/Skylake Overclocking, Info, Delid Guide and Owners thread.

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by headin2001, Dec 31, 2016.

1. argent

argent Member

Not sure if I'd trust myself - but then again, based on the discussion - having someone else do it could possibly result in a dead CPU as well. Only difference I suppose is that you put your faith in someone who has more experience but ultimately it could be a crapshoot.

2. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Getting a 7700k and 3600mhz ddr4 ram. Looking for a board ~250 which can run the ram at rated speed and put a bit of an overclock (just doing it on air). Are there any that you guys can recommend. Looking at the asrock z270 xtreme 4 or the msi z270 gaming m3 but open to other options.

Cheers

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm not sure if Ivy even fits in the current tools, as they are designed for the thinner PCB's of Skylake and Kaby.

I always used the blade method on my Ivys and Haswells, I never killed one. The thought of using a hammer and vice, the other method, scared the crap out of me. Others felt exactly the opposite, the blade scared them more than the hammer.

Of course a lot of people did kill a lot of chips, usually because they got careless or something slipped. There are always risks, that's why although I've done a lot of chips of various generations and never killed one, I wouldn't ever guarantee that the next one I do won't be the first.

Pick a Z board, any Z board of any size, and you have one that meets your stated needs. Unless you have bigger plans?

That brings you down to
    :what features do you want
    :what brands do you prefer
    :how much do you want to spend? because you won't need to spend ~$250 if you don't want to.

All brands offer suitable boards in mATX and ATX at under $200. My personal preferences are Asus and Gigabyte, but I guess others will say different.

If you are looking at the MSI Gaming3, which I see is $279 at PLE, I see just near it the Asus Strix Z270-F for $289, and instantly lose interest in the MSI.

I suspect both are overkill for your needs though, I'd be looking at something like a Asus Prime Z270-P for $194 were I you.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

Asrock Extreme 4 I did a review HERE. Managed to have 2x8GB RAM working at 3600C16 fairly easy. It wasn't too good pushing too much higher or tighter than that. But, seriously solid board for it's price-point, I don't think you will find too much better than that without spending a bit more.

MSI I cant really comment on, as I haven't touched any in this generation myself. Z170TE I did, but not Z270.

You got my PM on the delid........

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm just biased towards Asus I guess.. most of my more recent boards have been ITX, I've had a couple of Asus and a couple of MSI, and both were good, but the Asus were better. I'm also not a fan of the MSI BIOS.

My current Asus Z270i STRIX itx board is the best board I've ever owned, bar none. This of course is relative, my needs are different to others. I don't think I'd be using the board for sub zero benching for instance.. although now that I think about it I probably could. Dunno, the mysteries of sub zero remain so for me at this point.

The few larger boards I've had in the last couple years have been Gigabyte, although I did have an Asrock Z170 Extreme 4 until a week or so ago too. It was a capable board but nothing special.. and it was clearance priced and I needed a spare board at the time.

I just perceive Asus as a better quality product, and I like their BIOS. That's simply my own perception though of course. I also perceive Asrock as a cheap brand, but a lot of bang for buck.

I wouldn't say I dislike MSI so much, just their BIOS. In fact I have a Mortar in the shed right now, replacing the Asrock as a spare board.

Who could forget the Asrock X79 Extreme 11, with 7 x16 slots and the ability to run quad SLi @ x16x16x16x16 via two PLX chips, and 10 Sata3 ports via an 8 port LSI SAS controller and the usual pair of intels.. they make very interesting boards sometimes but I've never been able to see them as quality for some reason. Price I guess? Mind you, the Extreme 11 was NOT cheap..

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  6. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

Vice is super easy for everything up to 4790k. Just have to be careful with 6700/7700k

7. OJR

OJR Member

8. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Cmon - did you even read the quote from Intel? That's not what they said.

They tried to offer good information about momentary spikes in CPU temperature being normal as you load applications, and that a good way to stop your fans from spinning up for 2 seconds is through the fan control software included with your motherboard.

Of course they also included that they don't recommend running their processors out of spec and that delidding would void your warranty. What do you expect them to say seriously?

9. OJR

OJR Member

Maybe I can't read, but:

10. Edward05

Edward05 Member

New chip that headin2001 de-lidded for me, Great work mate :D

These are the tests he is doing, Pushing the chip to its limit :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  11. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

You're not reading the right thing. The website's "TLDR" version is crap. They had a direct quote from Intel in their - they're just spinning for click-bait.

12. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Me: Get a 1060/asrock xtreme 4 and 7600k it'll be good value, you don't need that much performance to play overwatch on low settings.

Also me:

[​IMG]

(Gtx1080/MSI Z270 Gaming M5/7700k)

13. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Also anyone offering delidding in Sydney?

14. OJR

OJR Member

15. bennyg

bennyg Member

It could be both, if you're part of the Internet that doesn't understand minute 1 of class 1 of Overclocking 101, that more frequency causes more heat...

Otherwise, yes the "whole internet" does engage in clickbait reporting when they smell a headline and theme that will get nerds all hot under the collar

If you want to allege that Intel are misdirecting when the real story is the high stock adaptive voltage the chips run out of the box, that's something to say that is not dripping with noob

I fundamentally agree with Intel. People who don't know what they're doing and are scared by 90C, shouldn't overclock

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  16. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

As benny said above, it's you. The websites you're linking to are simply putting up clickbait article titles to drive traffic.

Feel free to link another hundred - it doesn't change the facts, nor what Intel actually said.

Some people (apparently not yourself) do actually read past a headline.

17. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Anyone able to help me out. Put a safe OC of 4.5ghz 1.3v and when i run intel burn test it spikes up to about 70 degrees CPU fan goes up then it goes down to 50 degrees then it keeps repeating that and my IBT speeds are slow. So i'm thinking it's throttling somehow. I turned off speedstep etc. Running an MSI board if that matters.

Cheers

18. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Don't run IBT..... Maybe your board has low stock amps setting or something set. Test in XTU with the benchmark to find stable volts and clocks.

7350K in my gamer currently spikes to 73 in XTU yet doesn't crack 62 gaming. I have ample cooling that won't be overwhelmed so I don't care in the end. I will delid purely for something to do.

19. OJR

OJR Member

It's Techspot. A fairly well regarded review site. Anyway, it seems you know better than the review sites so I'll leave it there.

20. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

lol - nice trolling :thumbup: