Kaby Lake/Skylake Overclocking, Info, Delid Guide and Owners thread.

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by headin2001, Dec 31, 2016.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I had a go, I clearanced the skylake tool since it is on hand and I never used it anyway. The CPU snapped in nicely, loaded up the vice and boom ... It worked perfectly but the snap noise was a bit scary ..

:lol:

See we LET the little exposed points right? Then LM, glue the lid down and let it cure.

:)

2. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

snap noise is scary, i did mine at ratzz with his tool, there is a video of me doing it, and the bang is quite loud!

3. shane41

shane41 Member

x4 dots nearest the processor if you want.

Should not need the LET, it's useful on Haswell with exposed surface mount components. Liquid metal put on lean. Looks like crumpled Al-foil.

That light coating of TIM will stay put. Black silicon, light on edge IHS.
    I clamp with x4 pegs, semi set I'll transfer it to a 1151 socket to bond harder. IHS has a tendency to slide down when the tension is on.

I'll counteract that with forward early pressure.

OR buy that tool, much much easier :)

4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I will get the tool next time, The Rockit tool looks pretty good with the centering fitting to refit the IHS, which tool do you guys reckon is the best?

Also, is there an optimum orientation for an EK block on these?

:thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

More questions - I have a z170 fatal1ty itx-ac motherboard I bought used, it has a kaby bios already (supposedly) so this should do for 5ghz right? I don't need a z270 motherboard do I?

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Sounds fine to me. 7700K is really strong Aussie. I run z170's 5ghz is easy on these processors man...they shit it in.
    One here is a no2 EX Headin processor. Smashes benchmarks up on 54/55 multi custom WC.
    Keep temps in check ......rarely pops over 70deg :leet:

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Never seen a Kaby i7 that won't post and run stable at 1.32v. Not even on a Z170 iTX (in my case an Asus Z170i Pro gaming). My Z270 ITX board, a Z270i Strix, can run higher clocks than the Z170, but its a much better board IMO.

Bottom line, yes, pretty much any Z-1151 board should have no problems with 5GHz. The catch being of course.. at what temps? Kaby has absolutely crap TIM. Delidding is virtually a must if you want big clocks or good temps from a 7700K.

Read post #1 on THIS THREAD .. the board is a Z170i Pro Gaming.

In post #9, I used the Z270i Strix, for comparison.

Note of course that both boards are also ITX, like yours.

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thanks boys, it started as a budget build on scavenged parts, hence the motherboard. I will benchmark it but it's a gamer for my son so as long as it's stable he won't care what it's running at, 5ghz is just a personal target. I know it's meant to be easy but I haven't done it yet so I will enjoy seeing it for myself. I have delidded already and it has a custom loop going in so hopefuly temps won't be an issue.

Cheers.

9. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, my little z170 build won't boot, what's a cheap little skylake CPU I can use to diagnose my issue with? I need to check if it does in fact have a kaby bios on board (as the seller said) or if I killed it delidded it ....

Thanks

10. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

G3900 is the cheapest you can get I think. Shit celeron.

You might find a cheap i3 6100 somewhere otherwise. Hopefully someone on the forum can help you out. I would if I still had Skylake.

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I sold mine, but I see a few G4400's sold in here occasionally..someone might loan or sell you one.

I thought I had a chip I could loan you, but its a 3930 Celeron (Kaby) not a 3900 (Skylake).

12. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I just put up a wtb, I hope my delid job didnt kill my Kaby ... Im hoping it doesnt have the right bios even though the seller said it did.

Its one of the worst feelings, to finish building a rig and it wont boot ...

:tongue:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    headin2001

headin2001 Member

So you didn't test the CPU in the board first then? Always pays to.

What board are you running?

14. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

In hindsight yes of course, I was building a loop around it and didn't want to dismantle my bench rig to test the z170 .... Saving time costs time too sometimes ey

:(

Z170 fatal1ty itx

15. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

All good guys, it's running fine, I know it's just a benchmarking thing but what do you guys run your cache at?

I can pass benchmarks at 5ghz 1.35v (haven't tested less volts) and am testing 4700 1.200v as a daily clock. It's for my son so it just has to be stable.

16. shane41

shane41 Member

I've run x49 uncore sometimes but really no point other than benchmarks.
    45-46 is doable/ easy

17. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

My cache is on 45. Core on 48x. I was running 50x @1.25v but had a few crashes in BF1 so kept volts and dropped back to 48x cause CBF finding the true stable volts for 50x.

Toying with grabbing a i5 7600k (waiting for price crash...)to bust my gamer down a level and freeing up the 7700k for the bench.

18. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Aussie did you get hold of a chip? I have a few here. A few G3 chips.

More than welcome to have.

Cheers

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

The Skylake for flashing? Yes I got a 6100 off ebay but I didnt need it, just needed a hard bios reset.

The 7700K is running nicely.

:thumbup:

20. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I only did a quick tune on this rig and it seemed solid, so I handed it over to my son and he got a bsod within 5 mins of launching PUBG so I quickly droped the multi 1x and it played fine the rest of the night but the next day he had several bsods so that evening I added some more vdimm and it was fine other than one game crash .... What other voltages should I be tinkering? What's safe for IO voltage and cache?

I'm expecting the ram side might need work as I'm running 2x16gb sticks at 3000-14-14-14 xmp, may be harder to run the large sticks?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017