1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kairos Speaker Build

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Eclipsor, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Total rubbish, You have no idea what your talking about, Those side panels are all machine jointed using advance Spindle Molder technology. Not simply Butt jointed. This is high quality cabinet making by craftsmen. The internal chassis framework, not only holds the sides [ internally screwed ] it also hold the 2 section dividers. Isolating the mid /tweeter / bass sections. Only the Bass section is rear ported. . The 3 sections where then Lead lined before the sub-baffle was fitted .

More rubbish, That sub-baffle is three inches thick, The finished baffle plate is yet to be fitted. It's a direct copy for a Magico baffle, which incidentally is made of 6 inch thick machined Aircraft grade aluminum. In most cases the driver is total in-closed in the baffle. So what would you suggest I chamfer, and to what degree. As for the sides producing some diffraction, There is ample clearance.
    My I ask when experience you have in speaker design, and show some examples, then you can judge., or are you simply another Google jockey.
    Three pairs where made for customers, two of which where sold, I retained the third pair for my own use, We spent something like 4K [per pair ] on the hardware, and are hardly unlikely to make rudimentary mistakes in design when your spending that sort of coin.

We only bring them in when it's raining, and at 75 kilo's each, we are thinking of designing Raincoats for them..

2. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. oculi

oculi Member

I'd try some looped "sticky side out" masking tape first, then work up to some stronger tape.

4. OP
    OP
    Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

5. oculi

oculi Member

Fair enough, it will probably be easier to use - mine looks like Swiss cheese with all the pivot holes in it :)

6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Forming a curve is easier than machining precise joins in each segment.

Chamfering the back of driver cutouts is not rubbish at all.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/chamfer.htm

There is far from ample clearance, you don't seem to understand how sound propagates from a driver array and interacts with the baffle.

Also the tweeter is not pushed in, look at the image I posted on the previous page.

pH@tTm@N and Eclipsor like this.
  7. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

I'm no expert or anything but I've heard these Satori drivers, inc the dimpled ring radiators (pushed in rofl) in a autosound environment and they sounded very good, as good as the Scanspeak Revelator set-up in another car.

Eclipsor and DangerMaus like this.
  8. newynut

newynut Member

Wish I had your woodworking talent.
    Reckon you’re doing it at the right price.

Next time go higher again.
    I want to build a subwoofer but not good with wood.
    Might try it with cement sheet.

Eclipsor likes this.
  9. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Please don't use cement sheet. Subwoofers are a good starting point because theyre easy to make and somewhat harder to fuck up.

10. OP
    OP
    Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Cool. Yeah, there lots of good reviews of these drivers. Including Troels mentioned by DangerMaus who has his own version of this concept using almost the same drivers and who has used a variety of drivers from other manufactures to compare with.

His SB-Acoustic 3-way classic using cheaper drivers with comments on bang for buck: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBAcoustics-3WC.htm
    His version of a 3-way using the Satori line. He used the newer version of the tweeter though: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBAcoustics-10.htm

Hah thanks. I'm really making it up as I go along with a healthy dose of Youtube learning and some phone tips from my cabinet maker brother. Mainly before I started when I'd send him links to ones I thought of making and he'd tell me I was crazy.

Madengineer likes this.
  11. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

It's just a sales gimmick, None of the big manufacturers, bother with it. If you really look at there graphs there really isn't any discernible difference.
    But as your so knowledgeable just perhaps you could inform all of us, which other makers use it.

Let's face it most of the cheap speakers sold in JB or HN would be flat out chauffeuring the inside edges of the baffles, considering how thin there baffles are .

12. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Talking about rubbish! Sales gimmick? lol. You didn't notice the 2-3dB bumps and dips in the first response graph that were smoothed out by chamfered cutouts? Stop pretending you know what you're talking about.

pH@tTm@N likes this.
  13. samo

samo Member

Another audio thread where Hi-end Head can't help but take a crap on other audio enthusiasts (affordable) choices. I mean, seriously, labeling the SB Acoustic drivers as cheap Chinese drivers is just pure elitism. By no means is a $190 tweeter top of the range but it certainly isn't a cheap Chinese driver.

In any event, given that you are so seemingly knowledgeable in speaker design, surely even you can come down from your high horse and sit (way) down here with the rest of us and acknowledge that even low cost drivers can sound great when they are installed into properly designed enclosures.

..or maybe it's the AudioQuest speaker cables that make all the difference?

Madengineer and srey like this.
  14. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

The hole things simply snake oil, to justify the cost

15. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

No where in this thread did I say "Cheap Chinese Drivers " But don't let a few lies get in the way of a good story.

16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

The whole thing is or the "hole things"?

Are you seriously saying chamfering the back of deep cutouts is snake oil to justify the cost of .... something?

You claimed the drivers being used were a budget line, they are in fact the opposite. You also mentioned cheap chinese speakers in your first post.

17. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

What I said was a criticism , not a recommendation of what the OP should use. But if you want to attempt to make a point for an argument, carry on. I really don't care. I know people who like to go back years looking for contradictory quotes, simply of the sake of an argument.

And like it or not, that's the truth, There's little point in spending hours and hours chipping away on cabinets and then going cheap on the hardware. My personal choice for speakers is Scanspeak, I would not consider anything else. I have a speaker builder mate who will only use Sea's or sometimes Focal. We all have likes and dislikes,
    It's all a matter of choice

Just remember, your never going to know, what they sound like until there finished. And that's after there run in.

18. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Still waiting for an explanation of your snake oil comment.

You realise SB Acoustics was founded by ex scan-speak engineers?

19. samo

samo Member

Maybe im losing my mind. In this instance you have used the term speaker in lieu of drivers. Your comment relates to good workmanship in the cabinet build only to use cheap Chinese speakers.. but let's not let recorded forum history get in the way of a good story and potentially even better build log

Apologies to the OP.

Eclipsor, sebbyreddan and DangerMaus like this.
  20. samo

samo Member

Of course not. Naturally you would only use some of the most expensive consumer level drivers in your builds. That doesnt mean that you have to come into another thread and trash the driver selection of another speaker builder and placing yourself on some internet forum audiophile pedestal.

SB Acoustics are a well regarded DIY speaker supplier. These aren't $5 Parts Express specials..

You do this in most every audio thread you comment in.