Kairos Speaker Build

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Eclipsor, Sep 10, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Feet screwed in once the epoxy set. I'm not as worried about stability as I was originally. Don't think they'll need outboord legs. They have a fair bit of weight in there.

[​IMG]

How they look with the feet. I think it helps the look a bit more again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Coming along nicely and no better way to run in the drivers than with 10,000 Days or Stinkfist or Sober or ...

DangerMaus and Eclipsor like this.
  3. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Looking good, also like the choice of music to break them in. New album for new speakers would be nice ;). Sigh...

Eclipsor likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Hah, yeah I keep googling for new news every couple of months lately.

Listening experience so far has been very nice. I guess I'd been setting myself up with fairly low expectations, but so far the whole sound seems a bit more natural. Maybe not quite the absolute clarity from the 2-ways, but I was finding them a little harsh anyway. Imaging seems a bit better now too. Bass is there, but not overpowering.

It's interesting now having to deal with bass nodes etc for the the listening position. I think I'm going to get one of those cheap calibrated mics so I can do some response sweeps. Pretty sure I'm going to try porting them. F3 of 27Hz compared to 40Hz is too intriguing not to give a go. Although the mic would help confirm how much room gain is doing for the current sealed version.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

They look good, the silver of the feet though I'm not so sure about. Personally I don't think you need to do anything fancy with regards to the two ways sitting on top, they look ok as is to me.

It's interesting but Tool seem to have some of the deepest bass extension out of any of the music I listen to, so much so that they show up that I do need a bit of eq on my sub. I bought a UMIK-1 before the sub was finished to do some testing but overall it already sounds so good and I'm lazy so I haven't bothered yet. A song like Flood, particularly the opening half is so good with a nice sub.

Load up the THX Subwoofer Test on youtube but just be careful with the volume, the first time I tried that it was like the house was going to achieve lift off lol

6. one80

one80 Member

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been asked.

But how is the lower end with just the two-way?
    I'm tossing up between these (the flat baffle Adelphos) and the Continuum.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  7. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

IIRC an open E string on a bass guitar is around 42hz so there is a lot going on below that with other instruments, harmonics and just the "feel".

The problem is the bass sometimes gets muddier or looser the lower you try to go. I've played with an 18" and dual 15"s in the past but they're mostly good for movies and vibrating car panels IMO. If you can get a clean sound with an F3 of 27hz go for it, I'd be keeping plan B in mind though.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Yeah, chrome feet wasn't my first preference. Not a whole lot of choice at Bunnings. I'll be keeping an eye out for other options. Or maybe paint them. Good to get your thoughts on the overall look. ta.

To be honest I think they were lacking a bit. I've read comments from some people saying how good the bass is on the two-ways, but I think they must have different expectations or rooms than me. There was definitely a bit more bass with them ported, but I felt like they lost a bit of edge to the rest of the range like that. My living room is around 4 x 5m, but has high ceilings and big openings on two walls to the rest of the dining/kitchen.

I think the Continuum's particularly would be lacking. I think they have an F3 of around 60Hz? Depending on your room size. Part of the reason I chose this project was because I wasn't sure if I needed or wanted 3-ways but wanted the option. It also let me split the construction into two phases with regards to cash flow. I thought it would take me longer with just the 2-ways going to decide on whether to move ahead with the woofers, but it really didn't take long to want to add them at all. Given this knowledge at the start I think I would have opened up my thinking to more seriously consider more straight 3-way projects.

It has ended up costing around $2.1k AUD just for materials to get them to this point. This does include $200 for veneer (painting might be cheaper), but also takes into account WES distributor pricing on the Satori drivers, and second hand prices for the two woofers. I've also used cheap construction materials (MDF). Marine or Birch ply would have cost more. So that's getting close to the cost of something like the Elsinore's and covers some versions of the Statement's.

Yeah definitely. I think if I port them and don't like it I can either remake the baffle from scratch, although I'd need to buy another whole piece of ply. Or just patch up the hole and cover it with veneer eventually.

DangerMaus likes this.
  9. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I used these for my sub although it doesn't make much sense to order them alone. However if you get some components from Parts Express I find it's a good idea throw in bits and pieces like feet and speaker screws etc in on the order.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-drfs1-1-3-8-x-1-heavy-duty-rubber-feet-4-pcs--240-712

When they say heavy duty these things really were heavy duty but my sub kinda needed it, at 91L and using 18mm MDF it's a heavy mofo :)

Edit: I should mention Jaycar do have some feet but I can't remember if they have larger ones suitable for your build.

I wonder if it's not common practice for studios to high pass most recordings to remove "unwanted" low frequencies.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  10. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

For the chrome feet, maybe consider speaker spikes.
    If you can find some the same thread size as your bolts, then you will have a drop-in replacement.

11. OP
    OP
    Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Thanks for the feet suggestions. I quite like the look of the ones at Jaycar. Doesn't really give much detail about how hey attach or the thread they use. I'll have to drop by and have a look.

Yeah, hopefully I haven't shot myself in the foot with the nuts I used as far as other options go. Worst case I can hopefully drill and tap another thread in the nuts.

On another note. Don't use Mogwai tracks to test newly built speakers. You'll be paranoid about whether the distortion is on the recording or coming from the speakers...

12. OP
    OP
    Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Added the ports to the woofers on the weekend. I think it improves the look. Definitely notice the bass going deeper. Bass feels a bit more balanced now too. I had added a bit of bass via eq though which I'll probably have to tone down a bit now. I'm intrigued by the whole room compensation thing via DSP and am keen to get the hifiberry DSP board and a mic to play with sometime soon.

For now though, time to listen and enjoy for a while before comitting to the veneering.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    fredhoon and DangerMaus like this.