Kangaroo farts could fight global warming: scientists

Discussion in 'Science' started by Rezin, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Rezin

Rezin Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/06/2111509.htm

2. daztay

daztay Member

Thats cool and funny. Envo friendly farts...EFF as it will become:D
    I wonder if the bacteria can be transfered to cattle and sheep.
    Humans??
    I dont mind kangaroo meat, its quite nice.

3. Littledragon

Littledragon Member

That's really suprising haha, never thought about the gases released by bodies. If farmers did this to their animals it sounds like it would have a impact on the environment worth mentioning.

4. OP
    OP
    Rezin

Rezin Member

Is this article saying that livestock over there are producing methane (contributing to greenhouse gases) that almost match the levels of carbon dioxide coming from cars (etc.)?

5. WarpSpider74

WarpSpider74 Member

Yep, it sure is.

6. FB008

FB008 Member

just another form of genetic modification?

well whatever works for them, as long as i don't have to pay for it with my health.

7. Draffa

Draffa Member

They're not modifying anything. They're just trying to transfer the intestinal parasites of one animal into another.

8. OP
    OP
    Rezin

Rezin Member

You know what this means... vegetarians are ruining the planet by not eating livestock, allowing their numbers to increase! ;)

9. WarpSpider74

WarpSpider74 Member

Symbiotes, not parasites. The bacteria in a herbivore's gut break down cellulose, which is a type of complex sugar. We can't digest it (not well, anyway), it just passes through us (this is what we call fibre, people). Many herbivores have multi-stage digestive tracts which introduce various types of enzyme and bacteria to the food, so it is broken down in stages. It turns out that kangaroos have bacteria which are better at their job than those in, say, cows, resulting in less waste product (ie: methane)

10. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Same here. I say drop the cattle and let's start with the kangaroos. It's about time we started to learn how to live with this country, instead of trying to treat it like a second England. It's that 18th century mindset which has tied us up for too long.

11. WarpSpider74

WarpSpider74 Member

Mmmmmmmmm... Drover's Pie...

(It's a rich meat pie made with Roo meat and a big thick salt pastry crust :D )

12. Basalt

Basalt Member

Mmmm... jump steak is awesome! (so is hump steak, not too sure though, of the environmental factors that camels have in the outback. I believe their hooves have a lower impact on the more arid ground than cattle....)

We also make spaghetti bolognese with roo mince - lean as and you can't tell the difference.
    Win-win really, as who doesn't want another excuse to bring the subject of farts into dinner conversation? :p

13. bb7_rider

bb7_rider Member

thats the stupidest fucking thing i have ever read in my entire life.

how about the fact that the vast majority of cattle etc on this planet were bred for people to eat and the numbers would be nowhere near that high naturally?

or do you genuinely believe if no one ate beef the world would be overrun by eleventy billion cattle by now?

14. OP
    OP
    Rezin

Rezin Member

Maybe you missed the smiley at the end of that sentence indicating I wasn't serious. :rolleyes:

15. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

Now who looks to be the stupid one... I could tell that was a joke from a mile away.

This is a good idea thou :)

16. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

This is good news. The Kangaluu :D farts could become another major commercial factor for Australia, after the world famous Aussie scrotum poaches

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  17. 3_Legged_Cat

3_Legged_Cat Member

I find that I fart a lot more when I eat kangaroo meat. It is usually really smelly too.

I guess the smell doesn't prove much as methane is actually an odourless gas.

18. Nastyboy

Nastyboy Member

The article isn't quite correct. Its not that 'roo farts don't have methane, its the fact that roos don't fart at all.

19. OP
    OP
    Rezin

Rezin Member

Didn't realise that, but after reading it I found this page with an explanation.

http://www.greenlivingtips.com/blogs/109/Kangaroos-dont-fart.html

20. Draffa

Draffa Member

They're easy to collect, too. You just herd a mob of Roos towards a 2 metre high fence whos top string is barbed wire. They jump over, and presto, scrotums all over the place. :leet: