Karē (Japanese Curry)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by bl4ck32, May 22, 2016.

1. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Didnt see a recipe here, thought I would share mine as its simple.

Step 1. buy Golden curry.

Kidding - this recipe is to make a roux and add to stew. A sweet Japanese curry, you can also add the fruit of your choice. Traditionally, apples would be the go-to fruit which is what I use. This recipe as is is the base - you will need to taste and season to flavor which I will explain when.

For the roux
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 2 tblsp cup flour
    • 1 teaspoon garam masala
    • 2 teaspoons curry powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper (add less if you want it mild or more if you want it spicy, but any pepper will do - powder, flakes, paprika, cayenne)
    • Fresh ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons ketchup
    • 1.5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    For the curry
    • 2 teaspoon oil
    • 1 large onions sliced thin
    • 1.5kg gravy / chuck steak (with marbling, little fat) cut into chunks (you could also use chicken thighs, shrimp, or tofu)
    • 2 carrots cut into chunks
    • 4 cups water (enough to cover everything once in the pot)
    • 2 large potatoes cut into medium / large chunks
    • 1 small apple peeled cored and grated or pureed.
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 1/2 cup peas

Directions

1. For the roux, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the flour and garam masala, stirring until you have a thick paste. Add the pepper and some fresh ground black pepper and incorporate into the roux. Add the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and combine. Continue to cook until the paste comes together (see pics). Remove from heat and set aside until the meat and veggies are ready.
    2. [​IMG]
    3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium low heat and add the onions. Sauté the onions until they are golden brown and caramelized. Turn up the heat to high, add the meat (or whatever), and brown.
    4. Add the carrots and water - to just cover, then bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that accumulates at the surface then lower heat to medium and add the potatoes, grated/puréed apple, salt. Put the lid on and simmer for about 30 minutes or until you can pass a fork through the carrots and potatoes and the meat is tender.
    5. [​IMG]
    6. Take the lid off after 30 mins, keep on medium.
    7. To make the curry, just ladle about 2 cups of liquid into the roux then whisk until it's smooth. Pour this mixture back into the other pot and gently stir until thickened. If it doesn't thicken enough for you then you can first taste it - if its a little bland, then you can reduce the thing a little - or just use some cornflour / water stirred in.
    8. If thick enough, and you have either reduced or added cornflour - AGAIN taste the thing - you will want to first ask "can I taste enough curry flavor?" - add a 1/2 teaspoon, stir in and taste again. Same goes then for salt, and heat. Adjust here to make it awesome.
    9. [​IMG]
    10. Add the peas and heat through.
    11. Serve with rice.
    Photos don't do justice, it tasted awesome and was a thick / hot curry. (I forgot to take photo with peas and final plate shot...)

should resemble :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i like how it was introduced to the japanese though....very interesting.

3. tasmik

tasmik Member

golden curry cubes from the supermarket = simple and tasty!! just slap in some veges and chicken cook some rice, eazy

4. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Looks great! Will give it a try. Keen to see how this compares against the Golden Curry packet stuff.

5. OP
    OP
    bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

ive seen reviews that compare golden curry to other packet curries available in Japan and it comes out on bottom. I do have one pack myself but not tried it yet.

Once you get the steps down this is too damn easy and tasty.

6. schismo

schismo Member

I love Japanese karē and regularly use the Golden Curry and Vermont Curry brands. Prefer the Vermont brand personally, it has more ingredients and a better flavor. But I do like the idea of doing it all from scratch and im sure it would taste even better. Will give your recipe a go when I get a chance.