Kayl evap enclosure masacred + cbuzz phaser

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by eva2000, Sep 4, 2006.

1. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

Oh it ain't that bad really :)

As some folks know LGA775 motherboard's have some caps near the cpu socket. These caps block and restrict, Kayl's evap white enclosure from fully sitting down and allowing evap to contact the cpu's IHS.

I put off modding the white evap enclosure as i didn't have a Vice to clamp the enclosure down with and well couldn't find where i put my Dremel :o

Today, I just felt like hacking up the white evap enclosure, so found my small hand held hacksaw and decided to just hold the evap enclosure in my left hand and holding hacksaw in my right hand, began hacking away at the white plastic enclosure (yes could be a disaster waiting to happen if i slip :eek: ).

Luckily, the mod was done without any blood shed or lost fingers :D

Before:
    [​IMG]

After: Full pics http://i4memory.com/phasechange/kayl/lga775_evapmod/

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I used some cut up strips of thin sticky back closed cell foam that Kayl included with the unit and padded up the exposed foam area somewhat. But left the bottom edge open so to clear the caps on LGA775 motherboards :)

Shame to have to hack up the beautiful enclosure but it had to be done :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. OP
    OP
    eva2000

Yup more phase change goodies. I bought cbuzz's 1/6HP phaser unit with plans to use it with interchangeable mounting for cpus via the cbuzz Mega mount and to mount on MCH/northbridges :)

Haven't got around to testing it stand alone yet but will soon :)

Full pics: http://i4memory.com/phasechange/cbuzz_chipsetcooler/photos1/

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

:leet:

3. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

lookin' good eva! :Pirate:

4. TUB><ULTRA

TUB><ULTRA Member

Nice work...

Im thinking of getting a Vapochill...

Do u guys run these 24/7 or just to Bench/test etc.....

As I would want to use mine 24/7.... :p

What kind of power do they draw...?

5. OP
    OP
    eva2000

6. OP
    OP
    eva2000

Anyway decided to mount the modded Kayl evap on 3.46Ghz XE cpu with Abit AW8D just for a test run since i never used phase on LGA775 before....

3.46Ghz XE cpu on water did 4.8ghz

Bios can't show negative temps so right now memtesting to get an idea of what the 3.46Ghz XE cpu can do on Kayl Black Frozen SS http://i4memory.com/phasechange/kayl/arrived/1/html/ :D

@stock 3.46Ghz at 1.2875v evap temp was -39.2C
    @ 4.6ghz at 1.4375v evap temp was -35.2C
    @ 5.0ghz at 1.5625v evap temp was -32.2C
    @ 5.2ghz at 1.5625v evap temp was -30.9C
    @ 5.4ghz at 1.5625v evap temp was -30.2C

7. kayl

kayl Member

good to see ya modded that unit eva2000.
    Thats some nice results there 5.4Ghz is insane hey, and not bad temps really hey for the Oc ;)
    cant wait to see ya E6600 in action.

8. OP
    OP
    eva2000

yeah E6600 and E6700 to play with on phase soon.. but i think i'll have some carefree fun with 3.46Ghz XE with unlocked multipliers :D

9. OP
    OP
    eva2000

Well fired her up into windows with 3.46Ghz 955XE and Abit AW8D 11 bios and 2x512MB OCZ PC5400 Platinum XTC 3-3-3-8.

Max validation so far 3.46Ghz 955XE @5682Mhz at 1.6875v (uGuru windows set) = 1.63v idle in windows and 1.58-1.59v under load.

Evap idle = -32C
    Evap load = -29C
    Room temp = 26.8C

[​IMG]

Max 1M & 2M @5618Mhz same vcore as max validation.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super Pi times are slow heh - no tweaks just ran to test max cpu clocks. Core 2 Duo has come along way for sure! :)

10. OP
    OP
    eva2000

Now i know why some many phase change or sub zero temp users have killed their LGA775 boards! Motherboard and cpu are fine, but curious to see if any condensation formed after i switched off the unit and left it to warm up overnight.

I took the mount of my AW8D motherboard and man was the LGA775 cpu socket damp and wet, the back of the cpu grids and stuff were wet too. The surrounding cpu socket area was dry though.

Folks have said the LGA775 socket is hard to get an air tight seal and guess they're right. I think the only way to safe guard against this would be to use dielectric grease in the cpu socket area. Or if you don't like the idea of messy dielectric grease all over the cpu socket and cpu itself, after each benching session ends leave it overnight and in morning unmount the evap and dry it all out for another run ?

11. kayl

kayl Member

i wouldn’t dare not use grease in the socket 775 systems eva2000. That metal tab gets real cold and any small amount of air turns to frost. Last thing we want is moisture on cpus, cpu will corrode in time for sure. Also important to make sure ya fill the gaps with enclosed foam as well
    I did a run for a few hours with insulation just like this and the metal tab had white frost all over it. As enclosure wasn’t sealed to mobo insulation When ya turn the system off that melts and drips onto the mobo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I insulate like this have no issues. That sticky back tape I sent you can also be used as well. now enclosure is sealed to mobo insulation. I only use grease in the socket and yet to kill my mobo. No other precautions take to protect system either.

[​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    eva2000

now i'm confused with 1st sentence than 2nd last sentence ?? :confused:

for LGA775 dielelectric grease in cpu socket or not ? :)

or do you mean do not grease LGA775 pins but only the inner square set of SMTs etc ?

Yeah been playing with the sticky back foam both cbuzz and you included with your units and seems covering the entire metal retention mechanism is doable :)

13. kayl

kayl Member

put it in both to be safe, its a pain to clean out though.

Did you know if you go to the chemist they can sell ya behind the counter industrial strength acetone eheheh. Ya cant but it anymore other wise. And these days they don’t have it in nail polish, if they do its only a small percent.
    I had to RAM my new mobo, the cd rom was working, then stopped the day after.

14. OP
    OP
    eva2000

well starting the insulation process and plan to do the following:
    1. 2-3 coats of Electrolube CPL - Clear Protective Lacquer on back and front side of P5W DH - sockets, pci-e/pci and dimm slots taped up - touch dry in 15-20 mins and recommended 24hrs overnight
    2. 1-2 coats of clear nail polish on back and front
    3. 1-2 coats of red Liquid Eletrical Tape (LET) on back side and front side
    4. Going to cover back side of motherboard with a layer sticky back closed cell foam.
    5. Front side closed cell foam piece, with the LGA775 metal retention lever and frame covered in stick back closed cell foam as well
    6. A dab of dielectric grease on back of cpu caps etc as well as a light coating inside the square cpu socket SMT area.

15. T_M

T_M Member

Not sure what you mean kayl, i buy cans of acetone from any hardware store i want.
    And i get pure Isopropyl Alcohol from the chemist.

16. grumpee

grumpee Member

Yes you can, you can buy it from any good wholesale paint supplier but why would you use acetone tad dangerous isn’t it on a pcb wont it affect the pcb lacquer you can also just use the plain old white thermal from dick smiths the click stuff instead of dielectric (tad hard to get some times) and go to any Bunnings store or dick smith and get electrical contact cleaner for $10 a can for dickeys brand and $20 for crc brand and is what it is made for cleaning pcb's, you can also use ether <---- dont know if i spelt that right the stuff to put you a sleep (a can of aero start from any car parts joint not quite as good as contat cleaner)

You can also get 24"x18" square sheet of the sticky back foam from Clark rubber for $5.50 a sheet

17. H[]R3NDUS

H[]R3NDUS Member

u guys know iv now nearly read the whole forum lol .....my eyes r so so sore.

my Vapo"s so so cold lol