1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

KEF Q350

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Gibbon, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a view on the KEF Q350 bookshelf speakers? I've heard them once, and was reasonably impressed for the price, and now notice the kefhome.com.au website has an upsize promo till the end of July, so the're down to the Q150 price ($895). I'd like to listen to them again, but I'm pretty sure there's nowhere local that has them.

I'd be using them for my PC, using a Yamaha A-S701 amp. Currently using a pair of Krix Equinox (a couple of generations old), but I'd like something with a bit more punch. Not sure if the KEFs would be much of an improvement (if any). Also currently using a Krix Seismix 1 sub, which I'd keep.

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Wouldn't be my pick for nearfield/desktop use. I think they impress with power and volume and space.

Do you have a budget? Size restrictions? I've been looking into similar a lot lately. Landed on a set of Monito Audio Silver 50 for a good price, happy so far.

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Most of the Kef's love power, even though it is easily to misjudge them by there size and think they don't need breathing space and power to get the best out of them but they certainly do benefit greatly from both.

4. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yep, very good points, thanks. When I heard them they were stand mounted and in standard type listening room. Hard to translate to being 1m away on a desk ...
    The amp has a fair bit of grunt, but they wouldn't be able to have much space around them (or behind them).

Hmmm.

Budget is probably up to around $1k or so, and the Q350's would be as big as I'd want to go ... they're quite a bit bigger than my current Equinoxes (particularly in depth).
    Having said that, I don't really feel like I -need- to get something anytime soon, so I might just have to wait until I can get a chance to have more of a listen to a few options.

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Needing power also means giving them volume, so on a desk you're unlikely to be pumping them as hard.

Monitor Audio have a few models that are a good size. B&W have 2 smaller bookshelf speakers. Focal only have the Chora 807, front ported, quite tall though. KEF like you've said. Dynaudio Emit M10 or older DM2/7 or Audience 42. A2A has the Xeo 2 actives for $999. Dope price.

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

Is the LSX Legit? thinking about new desktop speakers for my 38" UW.

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The LSX are nice smallish form factor speakers. They sound bigger than there size so don't be afraid to put them into a bigger room. But don't expect the bass output on them to rumble like a 12inch SVS sub.

8. connico

connico Member

Have a listen to the Elac B6 2.0, front ported and has a fair bit of punch for a bookshelf

9. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Love KEF, they're in my car probably installed back mid 90's, they're awesome :)

10. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

I work in a shop that sells dynaudio, kef, Klipsch and paradigm. The paradigm premier 200b bookshelf speakers are easily the best sounding speakers under $1500. I can do you a set for $1100. They sound much nicer, smoother and more detailed than the kef - they make the kef sound harsh by comparison.

11. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Thanks for all the info guys (and the offer, Holdenkicks). Think I might hold off for a while, until I get a chance to listen to a few options. Cheers.

12. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Just out of interest ... does anyone have a view on the Krix Acoustix?

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

14. Radley

Radley Member

Yes

I've got a KEF 5.1.2 home theater setup at home, but it's using the Q700 and 300's for front and surrounds. They sound ok at normal volume, but really shine when turned up so I wouldn't recommend for desk use. I'm using Klipsch RP-160M on my desk and they're great but enormous. for a desk I'd recommend the LS50 or LSX as they're smaller from memory. Adding a sub will make a big difference as well. Unfortunately my Rotel A-12 doesn't support a sub but I can live with that.

15. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Heh, funny you should say that. Bit embarrassed to say I hadn't even thought about seeing what they might have to offer. I wasn't actually sure they were still making speakers.

The speakers I use in my office are a pair of Orpheus Nexus 2 floorstanders I bought at Len Wallis Audio in Lane Cove back in either 1994 or 1995 (1994 I reckon). Still going strong, and still in as-new condition :) I love them.

I also have a pair of Orpheus Nexus 1.5 floorstanders in our living room, which I originally bought (in about 1997) as rears for my HT, and a Centaurus 1 centre speaker (bought at the same time as the 1.5s) in a box in storage.

Have spoken to Kiat a few times over the years. He organised for my Centaurus to be made with the same finish as my Nexus 2 and 1.5 speakers (it was normally only made in black at that time). He's a good guy. :)

orpheus.PNG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Lochness_Hamste and JSmithDTV like this.
  16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Me too... have a pair of the Aurora's I picked up 2nd hand, just oozes quality both in sound and style. Might be the go too for some small bookshelves... looks like they use the same scanspeak tweeter. :)
    Yes a very knowledgeable audio man, really knows his stuff.

JSmith

17. Radley

Radley Member

Looks nice. What are you running with them? You also have GPS in the EXIF data for that image which you might want to purge...

18. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Cheers - have changed the photo (I think).

Yeah, still very happy with them, especially considering they're 25yrs old, and have travelled across Australia with me at least twice. Generally using them with a Sonos Connect (with a library of FLAC rips), through a Emotiva PT100 and XPA2.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  19. Radley

Radley Member

Yep all good now.

I'd love to find bookshelf speakers that are good at low volumes - any suggestions?

20. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

I had been looking into getting an A-12 a while ago. I thought you could use the pre-out on the A-12 for the sub?