[WORKLOG] KELVIN scale. A watercooled FT02

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Kommandant33, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

It all begins about a week ago.

Daffo put up for sale his Silverstone FT02-B, and in true OCOW fashion, the lowballing begins..

Old mate Kelvin chimes in with a $50 bid, even though he has no particular use for it.

I decide, although I have no particular use for it at all I would place a bid.

And that's where the fun starts. Komm vs Kelv in a $5 bidding match, that gets dirty with $1 bids.

And at 9pm on the 11th of July, I became the proud owner of the FT02 for $85, even though I had no fucking use for it.
    Kelvin had been a worthy adversary.

So I brought her home, and to avoid the wife I had to "clean the garage" out (re-arrange the garage so the case would look like it had been there for months), and when she came out to bring me some cold lemonade she asked
    "what's this?"

I looked over and said "oh, that old thing? I bought that ages ago, but haven't gotten around to swapping things around."

[​IMG]

I will also take the time to mention the "circle jerk" thread that I started a while back with some of my excess watercooling gear. More fittings than a bus(t)y day at Bras N Things!

This brings us right up to now.

This morning I did a quick run to PCCG to pick up a 3x180mm RAD, 3x slim 180mm fans and a couple of temperature sensors.

[​IMG]

I will warn all of you not to get too excited, as I will be building this in secret in the garage,

And using primarily second hand gear that I will be buying off OCAU when I have the money.

As for inspiration, I haven't quite worked everything out, but I would like this Lamptron FC10 fan controller to be a bit of a centrepiece

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking...

KOMM

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I've been eyeing off an FC10 myself Komm while they're on clearance, it looks damn sexy on the website! :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

That's exactly why I picked it up! I would like a couple of faceplates to test what finish I want on it...

4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

It's very Half Life-ish. Would look good in a black case with orange tube and black fittings I reckon, and these fans.

Give it a Gigabyte mainboard, Colour the top exhaust mesh Orange, whack a big fuck-off Lambda on the side, done!

5. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Man up Komm
    go confess to the little lady, before she slaps your ar"e :p

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Hmmm i ended forking about $50 for a 800d corsair case and an extra $55 for the missing bits.... I should have gone further for the ft02... Oh well...

I noticed your sneeky bid for the lianli case As well...
    Good luck with the build

7. kickmic

kickmic Member

HAve said the same to my wife, more than once :)

yay for another FT02 WC build

you'll have to get the dremel out to fit thAT 180.3 RAD

8. OzTurkish

OzTurkish Member

That is one of the best looking fan controllers ever made

9. Kosti

Kosti Member

R u going to go yellow to match your keyboard :tongue:

10. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Don't be RIDICULOUS.

It's a KOMMPUTER, not a TAXI.

lol jks - you know I love ya, Kosti.

11. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

LADLES AND SERVING SPOONS.

So I have FINALLY nearly finished cleaning out the garage, to make room for this case.

Okay, so I moved a whole heap of shit to the other side of my big fuck off bench.

Here is a a lot of the excess gear that has been accumulated over the past 3 years... notice the MASSIVE 3x180mm RAD, below it is a 240, beside it is a 360 and bottom left is a 120. The thing is the size of a surfboard.

[​IMG]

Now I am not great at stopping every time I do something to take professional pictures, I am only using my iPotato in the garage with generic fluorescent lighting.

So first thing is first - take off all the panels, including the BEAUTIFUL and heavy (just like your mum) aluminium wrap around

[​IMG]

The fans were a bit of a bitch to get out. And I am just going to take this opportunity to say what an awesomely clean case this was when I bought it. The only way I could find dust was by taking out things that shouldn't be taken out! Thank you so much,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the hard drive way was pretty easy to get out - about 6 or 7 rivets - with only 1 in an annoying position.

[​IMG]

Now that is a tight fit!

[​IMG]

Just a little hint as to what I have planned for this beast..

[​IMG]

Now while that is trying in a test spot, lets have a look at the supplied SilverStone fan, and the thinner Phobya fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's that? Komm in is his Kowboy's and In'jins' PJ's at 4pm on a Sunday?

I don't go to Church.

The Church comes to ME.​

okay, neighbours re-runs isn't Church.

That's all for now! Hopefully more to come over the next week!

12. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Okay, more hints of what might be happening (pending how this test patch goes)

I let the ESP cure for 90 minutes... And then opened up the pot of this...

[​IMG]

It doesn't look toxic at all :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to let this sit for 12 hours, then apply 1 more coat. After all of this, it's 2 coats of the rusting agent and then a matte clear finish to help prevent chipping.

13. tracti

tracti Member

Nice work mate, keen to see how it comes up. Seen that rust stuff used on some rat rods, came up pretty sweet

Just one thing What bright spark thought putting some gold clad Super bitch would be a good for sales, really come on its a Rusting product

14. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Oh what smooth skin you have :weirdo:;)

15. aeries

aeries Member

if it's done by the komm then it's been done right :p

shall watch the fruits of your pointless money spending :lol:

16. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Yeah, interested to see how it comes up. The other issue will be how different the rusts come up on the different bay devices...

Soft hands means I can charge more for handy-jays, in turn, pay for MOARKOMMPUTERPARTZ

lol... I think you have me confused... If it's worth doing, it's worth half doing, getting frustrated and giving the fuck up... THAT'S the Komm way.

17. aeries

aeries Member

ftfy :thumbup:
    let's finish this one at least, yeah? :p

18. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

This looks interesting :thumbup:

19. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Lovin it (like yo mumma!) keep going dude, need some MOARAD fix!

20. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Speak for yourself! The Kommandant Rig is finished, and about to take on it's next transformation!

It could be interesting if this paint job works, but don't hold your breath. see below.

Pfft my mumma isn't something you love, its something you ███████ until ████████ is all over the ███████ with another ███████ ██████, but the sentiment is nice, anyway.

So back to the rig.

I applied the second coat of the 1st step - it says to wait at LEAST 12 hours between coats, and since it has been SO COLD in Melbourne, I have been waiting 24/36 hours between coats.
    I am also going to do 3 coats instead of 2.

Hopefully this works, otherwise it will be a very stock standard FT02 build.

After talking to my mate Jazper, who has built a 180.3 Rad into an FT02, I have decided that I am going to cut the bottom out of the case, and line it with a false floor of honeycombed aluminium/steel (whatever I can get my hands on) and attach the RAD with industrial Velcro. The Velcro will give me the versatility to change the location of the inlet/outlets, and it will also help dampen any vibrations.

This weekend I will put some more pictures up of the planned layout, but things might slow down on this already slow build due to my main rig getting an overhaul.

Check out my sale threads, PC related and Non PC related, keeping in mind that liquidating excess gear helps fund builds like this :lol::D