Kernel Development CoC

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Statitica, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Statitica

Statitica Member

I haven't seen a whole lot on this, but it seems to have a few people, like this guy a little worked up.

What do you guys think on this front?

2. BAK

BAK Member

Rule 1: Hire the best person for the job.
    Rule 2: Don't be a dick.

In my view, almost everything else is (should be) irrelevant. I have zero problem in projects striving for excellence, and hiring the smartest people (regardless of social factors like race/sex/gender etc) is a good way to achieve that. There's certainly value in a diverse team offering alternative viewpoints and additional perspectives, but I see this as being more valuable in the business case phase of a project, rather than the "making stuff work" phase.

The implication of the video's creator that introducing a code of conduct will somehow force all "straight white males" out of their roles in favour of "diversity" is a little extreme, I think. With that said, his point regarding the threat to "meritocracy" is valid and worthy of concern. "Diversity hires" over merit-based hires are bullshit... but then, I say this as a straight white male so perhaps I'm part of the problem here anyway.

3. THE D

THE D Member

The biggest problem is that it was made by a nutjob who got fired from github for being a toxic little shit.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  4. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I don't think there's any issue with maintaining meritocracy under this CoC. Bad code is still bad code and maintainers have the freedom to tell contributors how it is substandard.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think that video is hyperbole and paranoid bullshit. That's what I think.

BAK likes this.
  6. BAK

BAK Member

After reading up more on the video's author, I'm inclined to agree.

7. elvis

Anyone who starts videos with terms like "SJW" or "cis white male" through gritted teeth is to be ignored. Doesn't matter which "side" they're on in their false dichotomy.

Extremism never solved anything, and this insanity that people have frothed up in recent years is nothing more than a distraction from actual problems all humans share as a species.

BAK likes this.
  8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I've said it before Linus is a equal opportunity asshole and he acknowledged this and stepped down. However meritocracy based contributions should be maintained and even with a CoC people who submit code should have the code reviewed and only be committed to the kernel if it is good code. If you don't like you code being harshly criticized based on logic and not based on any personal aspects, then perhaps kernel hacking is not for you.

Too many programmers are too precious about having their code criticized and take it as a personal attack. Having a quota based on anything other then the fitness for purpose of the code and the merit of its contribution is detrimental to the future of the kernel.

Saying a community must be inclusive is also counter to the philosophy of Open Source as all communities should be open to all. Conduct of its members should always be respectful, but should also allow for people to disagree as difference of opinion is required when solving complex problems in complex systems.

BAK likes this.
  9. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Inclusive language is pretty much the standard in technical writing these days. Also, nobody should be worried about demographic quotas being implemented as the overall pool of Linux contributors doesn't really have a salary limit. What corporate sponsors do in terms of hiring policy is, of course, entirely their own business.

10. OP
    OP
    Statitica

Statitica Member

Having read the CoC, I'm having a hard time seeing how it's going to do all this damage, or why it is so terrible.

There is another discussion being had about licensing, and how it is technically a breach of license, to change the license (especially without consent of all parties), and how that will play out.

11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

It's not terrible. There's just the usual bunch of reactionary fuckwits trying to stir up trouble over it.

All the key people have decided one is necessary, they've agreed on more or less a copy of what they considered to be the best of the existing ones in preexisting projects, really this should be the end of the story.

Personally I think the bigger story is the rather gracious email of Linus's admitting he has a problem and promising to get professional help for it. Hooray, an adult response.

elvis likes this.
  12. elvis

I think his response is fascinating.

More or less he's admitted to not understanding his problem, but has agreed to investigate it further none the less. Clearly he has a few, how do the HR folk call it, "emotional intelligence" issues, but at least is taking a logical step, true engineer style, to take other people's feedback and investigate further.

And good for him. We've all probably worked with folks who could have taken some time off for some self-introspection. And I'm not talking the occasional stress outburst, but folks who have deeper problems. Sadly there's also a lot of stigma in the other direction that often makes people not want to take a bit of time to get help when they really need it.

For Linux, though, this can only bring good things.

13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yes, exactly what I thought about it.

For those playing the home game btw, if you havent actually read the email that has sparked this whole thing, here it is.