1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Killedbyagirl's gaming blog / review site! Have a squiz :D

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Toritechie, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Unframed

Unframed Member

It's quite well written, actually. You come across as more than a basement nerd with a blog.

2. kreegor

kreegor Member

Probably the only time you will get away with saying 'sweet rig' to a girl ;)

3. lithos

lithos Member

I don't either.

Apparently, they only hate it when it's negative attention. I don't see how it's morally justified to complain about sexism in gaming, but then happily use gender as a selling point or prop if it works in your favour.

4. Royalnine

Royalnine Member

Nice to see another girl having a massive hobby on computers + doing personal reviews. I hope this project doesn't take up all of your free time.

I don't wanna say much about the website now since atm I'm on my phone and need some bloody sleep now! :( But i noticed the website does have a mobile version which is a bonus!

5. Error-prone

Error-prone Member

Nice game turnover. I would need a time machine if I touched that many MMO's. :lol:

6. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

This girl knows how to play BF3 better than the average male gamer: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/Killed_by_a_girl/

1.8 K/D (she doesn't die easy), good SPM (does the objectives and helps the team) and a highest kill streak of 25!
    Shows you know what your doing, a big change from the "chicks are bad at FPS" stereotype. There is always exceptions I guess ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Toritechie

Toritechie Member

Next one to come is already pre-ordered .... Star Wars : The Old Republic. I played beta a few times as a Bounty Hunter, and LOVED the PvP and Star Wars IP.

8. OP
    OP
    Toritechie

Toritechie Member

I have played MMO's where there are plenty of other females, even within my own guild/s.

In FPS genres though, I'm nearly always the only female on a ventrilo server full of guys. I've got a pretty thick skin, and have experienced plenty of sexism. Any askew comments thrown my way by a given guy usually results in me just telling them to shut the $@!@ up and just play the game.

If I hop on a vent server or other chat program with other guys, there's usually a 'wtf' moment of we have a girl here playing with us. Initially, they think I will suck and be a liability to the team. Once they realise I'm there to game, not to flirt or anything - they treat me like one of the guys, like a fellow gamer and equal.

I admit, I did expect this thread would get a bit of traffic because I'm a female gamer. I have been using Xtremesystems and OCAU and other forums for years - and of course realise that 99% of users here are male.

I'm not trying to make a 'stand' for women's rights or any such thing in games, I don't have a platform. I do hope that more women do get into games like BF3. It'll happen, in time.

Thanks for taking a look at the site.

9. OP
    OP
    Toritechie

Toritechie Member

25? Is that what the 'kill streak bonus' stat is? Heh :)

I've set a goal of hitting a 2.0 K/D, but it feels so, so far away. I just can't bring myself to sit back and snipe, I get bored shitless, plus - since I play Campaign nearly always, sitting back doesn't help the squad much.

I am now levelling my recon, but as shotgun-recon with the USAS. It's surprisingly effective on many maps - holding a point solo or with the squad, with a TUGS telling me when to turn around and frag my enemy. Popping a Spawn Beacon in a sneaky upstairs corner helps too.

10. OP
    OP
    Toritechie

Toritechie Member

This time of year, work is pretty quiet for me. I'm self employed. I should have a ton of time to get some more blogging done !!! WOOOOO!

Yeah, I'm using a Wordpress Premium theme for the site, it was easy to set up and by default has a mobile version.

11. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

Thumbs up :)

When it comes to making yourself noticed, there is only two ways - be better, or be different. Women in gaming qualifies for different - make sure you keep up the 'be better' part and you'll be on your way :)

12. anrke

anrke Member

Just an FYI - the link to the Skyrim review on the 'about me' page does not work (I did find the correct link elsewhere).

Review feedback - for both the BF and Skyrim reviews you rated Sound very high (100 and 95) without mentioning a word about them in the article. I haven't played BF3, but for Skyrim the music and comprehensive voice acting are both worthy of mention.

Self employed, and an awesome PC gaming rig. Jealous. But does this mean those 'earn 6-figure income a month from home' emails are actually TRUE?!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  13. mattg

mattg Member

sigh i bought bf3 after reading this review. lets just say origins a piece of shit!.
    computers a fresh install. everything up todate. but origin hangs on initialising.....

14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Nice site, added on battelog as friend; see you on the battlefield!

15. mattg

mattg Member

how do i add on battlelog?

16. mattg

mattg Member

fixed the problem with BF3 , had to edit the TM symbol out of folders and registry :mad:

17. OP
    OP
    Toritechie

Toritechie Member

That's bloody good feedback, I was sure I'd included at least something about sound. Might have to edit in a sentence or two.

Nope, no 6 figure income for me. Just an average income really, but enough to live simply yet still splurge on some expensive game hardware. I'm pretty much out of debt at the moment, which helps.

I work as a tour guide.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  18. OP
    OP
    Toritechie

Toritechie Member

Ok, I just edited in a paragraph on sound to both articles. I had meant to talk about this. Thanks again :)

19. SmEaGoLLuM!

SmEaGoLLuM! Member

Nice site :thumbup: What games are you playing/reviewing next?

20. sh0rteh

sh0rteh Member

Top job :thumbup: Good to see I'm not the only female playing BF3 out there :weirdo: Looking forward to other reviews. Like your FPS games list...some similar games to myself

Can some guys honestly explain this to me? I'm guessing that by 'unnecessary attention' you mean constant nagging lol? If only this was the case :( I don't tell anyone any more that I game as the reaction it gets is nothing but negative (even from fellow gamers) Every single guy that I have told that I game laughs at me and tells me I'm lying. It's basically an easy way to be ignored by other guys (or is it just from the guys in Perth :mad:) I find it pretty disgusting some of the reactions when all I wanted was some people to discuss some games with. That's why I have just turned to forums instead. 99% don't know I'm female and I'm not treated like a p.o.s :upset:

Sorry for hijacking thread :o