Kindle 2 in Australia

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by encode, Oct 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. encode

encode Member

The Kindle 2 is finally coming to Australia, according to a press release today. Yay!

I'm definitely thinking of buying one, although there does seem to be some limitations around which titles are available in Australia compared to the U.S.

Does anyone have one at the moment that feels like sharing their experiences?

The Kindle seems to fit into the category of personal electronic devices, so I thought this would be a good place to put this thread.

2. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Wow! I've been waiting for this to happen... but why would there be limitations for content purchasing in Australia?

3. OP
    OP
    encode

encode Member

The website lists only around 280,000 books available for Australian kindle users, compared to more (I don't remember how many more) for the U.S.

I guess it's due to export restrictions imposed by publishers.

4. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

if these were not so restricted in display formats (pdf, docx, etc) I'd be all over it like @#%$& on a pic of Megan Fox :shock:

I'll prob still get one and convert all of the pdf ebooks i 'plan' on buying

5. Farkenell

Farkenell Member

kinda bullshit how they charge that extra 40% to overseas customers...thats the kind of bullshit I would of wanted to avoid especially since ordering books from the states is farken expensive as it is. the different delivery platform should mean we shouldn't have to pay the extra bit for shipping, etc...

pretty disapointed. I'll just wait for another device, maybe micro$ofts one....

6. OP
    OP
    encode

encode Member

I'm not too sure where this 40% figure is coming from. Most of the books I looked at were $9.99 USD, except for reference type books, which were around $25-30 USD.

The $1.99 'international fee' seems to be built into the price, rather than an extra fee charged just because we live in Australia. From what I read, that fee is only applicable if you download books over the air from a country other than that which the device is registered in. Eg, if I went to NZ, and downloaded a book, it'd cost another $1.99.

7. Farkenell

Farkenell Member

8. MYSRH

MYSRH Member

Thank you for sharing this awesome news! put my pre-order in!

9. OP
    OP
    encode

encode Member

10. Farkenell

Farkenell Member

11. hamishbindrinki

hamishbindrinki Member

i actually bought an eslick about 4 months ago and have been pretty happy with it ever since. The reason i mention this is because both the eslick and the kindle have the same screen size, so for those that were somewhat concerned over the size, I can say that its more then adequate for anything i've read so far.

12. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I've been reading the 'Dark Tower' series by Steven King on my PSP with an ebook reader installed. (I'm on the 4th book in the series so spent some time with it).

Ebooks are definately cool in terms of being a LOT easier to hold than the usual 600+ page novel. Also, with the PSP at least, you can pretty much read it in 0 light (although bright screen in dark room is a little hard on the eyes after a while).

It's nice going on holiday and being able to bring a number of books without filling up your bag too.

I'd be all over a dedicated ebook reader if I didn't have some deep seeded desire to actually own the paper copies of books. Much like CD albums, there's something special about having a bookshelf full of old novels. That eslick looks pretyt nice! Don't really see the point of the keyboard on the kindle?

13. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

does anyone know any aust based retailers that stock any ebook readers? i kinda have budget restrictions

14. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

Does anyone know if the Kindle DX is going to be available in Australia soon?

Bigger Screen & PDF support makes it a much better option for me.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  15. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

i just went to buy one and got Important Message

* Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. & International Wireless, Latest Generation) cannot be shipped to the selected address.

guess the preorder means add it to your cart and wait a week :rolleyes:

16. RnR

RnR Member

Some of you may be interested in the products from iRex. 10" screen, wacom stylus, linux backend and not tied to any store.

https://www.irexshop.com/

iRex have also announced their 'Digital Reader'. 8" touch screen epaper device with inbuilt Barnes & Noble eBookstore.

http://www.irexreader.com/

I don't work for iRex, but I have had their 8.1" wacom product for a while now. Very handy for reading pdf technical manuals.

17. OP
    OP
    encode

encode Member

Sounds like you used the wrong link. There's a specific link for ordering Kindles sent to Australia, since we're special - we're the only ones that don't get a power adaptor.

Use the link in my OP - it should say Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. & International Wireless, Latest Generation) [Includes USB cable only for charging. For shipment to Australia.]

18. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

im a bit curious about that charge only cable... you think they are giving a power only cable or that they have modified the device to not allow data over usb

19. OP
    OP
    encode

encode Member

I think what Amazon mean by "Includes USB cable only for charging" is that there is no power adaptor being shipped, so the only way for us to charge it is the USB cable.
    AFAIK the Kindle 2 uses a standard mini-usb port, and data transfer via that usb port is definitely allowed.

20. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

ahh ok... well ordered one and the leather case

$27 for shipping is a bit of a joke tho :thumbdn: