Kingston HyperX Predator 240GB M.2: Not enough lanes?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Cancerbero, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Cancerbero

Cancerbero Member

Hi there,

I know this M.2 uses PCIe lanes to work instead of the sata bandwidth.

I have got only left 37 of 40 PCIe lanes.

Can I still use it at 3x instead of 4x or I am better off to buy myself a bigger ssd storage like the Samsung 850 evo 500GB.

This drive is not where the OS will be allocated, but rather where I will be installing all my games from.

Logic is telling to just buy the Samsung 850 evo 500gb as it has more storage than the M.2.

Thanks for your advice.

2. congoh

congoh Member

IMHO, your PCIe lane isn't going to make that much difference.
    Do you have a specific need for that much bandwidth?
    If you're going to use the SSD for purely storing games then I think you should just go with best bang for your $$.

3. OP
    OP
    Cancerbero

Cancerbero Member

the M.2 will be running at 3x instead of 4x.

The reason I am thinking of getting the PCIe M.2 is to avoid any bottleneck with my Intel 750, which the OS will be installed upon.

The Samsung 850 evo looks alright, plenty of storage but limited to sata.

Would the Samsung create a bottleneck with the intel 750?

4. congoh

congoh Member

As I stated, difference between x3 and x4 won't be noticeable in everyday use unless you perform specific task that is disk intensive.

I'm just not sure whether loading games fits into this "disk intensive" category. There are some games that load large levels but most games are designed to avoid doing this and load/transfer info in the background without affecting game play. If you're doing photoshop tasks that would be a different story.

My personal opinion is SATA would be sufficient to meet your need without wasting $$ or bottlenecking your Intel 750.

If you want a piece of mind about your decision, do a experiment and load a game from Intel750 and compare it to benchmark published in any Samsung 850 reviews. Synthetic benchmark will show differences but I don't believe it'll make much noticeable/practical difference.

5. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

So in that first post:

"I have got only left 37 of 40 PCIe lanes."

Does this mean you have 37 lanes left?

EDIT:

I forgot to ask: What mainboard do you have and what is using your other PCIe lanes?

It might be worth checking the MB manual, as all the mainboards I've had have various and different ways of organising their PCIe slots. For example. all the mainboards I've checked say that two slots are connected directly to NB (or equivalent) and the rest were connected via the SB (or equivalent). In all these cases, the NB PCIe slots were for graphics.

Thus you might be able to figure out which slots have what lanes available.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    Cancerbero

Cancerbero Member

Hi,

The board is the Asus X99 Deluxe using a 40 PCIe lane cpu.

As per the 37 lanes avaible, I was wrong, I have confirmation from Asus themselves that I will be losing one PCIe slot which I was meant to have my sound card.

From Asus:

Dear Cancerbero,

Good day!
    We apologize for the delayed response due to the weekend.

I'm so sorry but I'm don't know you want also install an M.2 SSD.
    Please calculate the lanes as following.

PCIE 3.0/2.0 X16_1 (16x) GPU
    PCIE 3.0/2.0 X16_3 (16x) GPU
    --------------------------------------
    totally: 32

PCIE 3.0/2.0 X16_5 (4x) intel 750
    M.2 solt (4x) Kingston HyperX Predator 240GB
    --------------------------------------
    [M.2] shares bandwidth with [PCIE 3.0/2.0 X16_5]
    totally:8

Then, no lane left for the (1x) sound card on [PCIE 3.0/2.0 X16_2].
    Please kindly be informed.

7. OP
    OP
    Cancerbero

Cancerbero Member

Hi Mate,

I think you are onto something,I have been told by Asus that if I use the M.2 I will not have enough lanes to use my sound card, check the post above this one.

The Sata SSD is cheaper than the M.2 and comes with more storage,if I use the M.2 I will be losing one of the PCIe slot that it was meant to have my sound card installed, however I have bought a PCIe x1 riser to be used with the sound card, however I dont know if it will work.

Thanks for your help

8. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

I'm annoyed because my Asus Z-97M Plus has a m.2 slot, but is only wired for PCIe 2x.

My Samsung XP941 requires PCIe 4x to run at full speed.

If I had of known I would have stuck with a normal sata SSD.

Trying to find a mainboard with proper PCIe 4x wired to the M.2 slot is very difficult because they do not list that on almost any boards.

9. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

You could move the sound card to the spare 16x PCIe slot. Or move the Intel PCIe SSD to one of the 16x slots.

I would always do this anyway as you then know your PCIe SSD has all the bandwidth it wants and more.

10. OP
    OP
    Cancerbero

Cancerbero Member

Take a look at this photo from the manual:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bvcyfggwy9grff/02-3.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gc5lan4gka9rsnu/01-6.JPG?dl=0

The first and third 16x slot are going to be used for my graphics card: 16x/16x

The bottom 16x slot is where my Intel 750 would be installed, this 16x slot shares bandwidth with the M.2, I only need 4x lanes for the Intel to work,
    The bottom 16x slot works max at 8x.

If I install a M.2 ssd drive, it will run at 4x max, making 40 lanes,thus not making possible to use the third 16X slot.

My only 2 solutions is to get a 1x riser and connect the sound card to the 2nd 4x slot or buy myself a Sata ssd.

At this moment, I am betting on using the 1x riser and see if the sound card would work, don't know how I will manage such a cable hanging around all the way back to the bottom of the case, maybe you can tell me the ideal place to hold up the sound card while using the 1x riser.

Apropos of, I have made an order to get from Ram city the Samsung SM951 256GB AHCI M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 80mm SSD - OEM
    https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/samsung-sm951-256gb-ahci-m.2-pcie-3.0-x4-80mm-ssd/MZHPV256HDGL-00000

If the 1X riser fails or is impossible to fit in my case, then I guess I would have to use the onboard sound, which does not seem to be that bad.

Thanks.

11. OP
    OP
    Cancerbero

Cancerbero Member

Is because your cpu can only do 16x lanes and Z97 are not really design to run with more than 16x lanes.

You can upgrade your board to a Z97 with a PLX chipset.

This a good board with a PLX chipset:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1491&products_id=27728

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015