1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kit Consolidation

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by UnexpectedError, May 3, 2020.

1. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Ok so I'm at the point where I need to maybe consolidate my kit and sell some stuff out. Right now I do amateur photography myself and a little with my son, who is 12.

I'll list my full kit just for clarity:
    • Canon RP (6240 × 4160)
    • Canon 5D MKI aka original (4,368 × 2,912 res)
    • Canon Kiss something something aka Canon 550D (pretty sure) (5,184 × 3,456 crop)
    • Canon 24-105L f4
    • Canon 50mm f1.8
    • Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART (obvious duplication here)
    • Canon 17-40L f4
    • Flashes
    I'm trying to decide if I sell the 5D or the 550D. I'm thinking I sell the 5D with the nifty fifty because it's such a logical starting point for intro photography and will probably sell quick. That said, it makes a good start for my kid (he likes it, so why mess with that). If I'm selling the 550D I don't really have any lenses that make much sense.

What do you think the real trade off is in image quality between the 5D and Rebel? From the images I'm looking at the 5D is perfectly acceptable on screen (and probably still 'ok' for print). I certainly don't see a huge advantage in using the 5D over the 550D. The limitations like ISO and continuous shooting speeds are just a non issue on a second body.

It also means less hassle explaining crop factors and trying to keep two things going in my lens kit. The only thing is that in future I'm looking at telephotos, so a crop 1.6 might be handy - the 550D still takes ok photos.

So...just ignore that I have the 550D and move on? It's not like I'll loose value due to depreciation here.

Wow if you read all that stream of consciousness thanks for sticking with me.

2. TwinII

TwinII Member

I would hold on to the 5D classic - that was a great camera. Only surpassed by the 5DII :) Problem is that you wont get much for selling the 550D these days. The 5D, 17-40 and 24-105 make a good kit (I have both of these but my 24-105 is broken). The 50mm f.18 with the 550D would be good for someone wanting to try their hand at photography with a very cheap entry level kit - so you could sell that off - but don't expect too much for them.

3. OP
    OP
    UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Yeah I think you're right. The 50mm is just a bit inconvenient on a crop but not necessarily my problem if I sell it haha.

And yes, wouldn't be expecting much - it's more just to get back what I can before the batteries die and the set become useless etc.

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Hmmm both are getting a bit old in the tooth but the 550D I feel is still a good bit of kit. The 5D Classic produces such beautiful images. Could sell it and the 50mm and buy a 28mm 2.8 you can both use? Him using it on the 550D.

Or sell it all and buy a smaller entry level kit for him to use :)

Whilst you might not get much money it all helps I guess.

I personally loved my 5D Classic and never thought I would part ways with it but ultimately the look/feel of it never kept me picking it up over my newer cameras. That's just how I am though I guess.

Depends how flush you are for cash, I still have my original Nikon D40 and kit that I bought here off OCAU. Nostalgia for me is that it kick started a whole new chapter for my life, generations of cameras after that I had I either sold or gave away.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  5. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

The 5Dc colours were something a lot of people really loved :) I'd personally would try to offload the 550D considering you don't have any crop glass there in your list

6. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

I used to have both in me Canon days and I much preferred the 5DC...

7. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Why do you need more than one body?
    Sell the 550, give the 5D + 50/1.8 to your kid, sell the 24-105 and grab the RF equivalent. You have a good camera, get decent glass for it.

UnexpectedError likes this.