kitchen knives

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by anark1, Mar 23, 2021.

1. anark1

anark1 Member

2. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

Why?
    Knives for that price I would expect to last a life time....

DangerMaus, Idafe007 and mmBax like this.
  5. T1tan

T1tan Member

Maybe get a knife sharpener or do you use the blade for damaging stuff?

I have a global set, it's pretty nice and decent price. I expect them to last a lifetime, or at least, another 10 years. I just realised I'm onto year 11, and I really wouldn't be able to tell.

6. scips

scips Member

OPs current knives have an edge really prone to chipping, takes a lot of metal out of it to get it back to smooth again

Get a chefschoice electric (like $300ish kind of model) if you cant be bothered learning to use stones, frequent use of wheel3 on mine keeps mine in good shape now, microscopic chips become big chips fast.

Also OP, have they been seeing the dishwasher as well?

AllezAllez likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    anark1

anark1 Member

happy to sharpen our knives, but some have also been miss placed, so looking to just replace the set.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If he's like me he buys cheap knife sets and replaces them every so often.

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

$900 is cheap?

MR CHILLED likes this.
  11. caspian

caspian Member

I have a variety of Victorinox, Baccarat, Scanpan, Damashiro and Shun. I buy what does what I want, not sets.

a steel is a necessity, and unless you want to be sharpening a lot, a ceramic or diamond/sapphire rod is useful too.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Oops read it as $89, but yep, $899 ain't what I'd call cheap.

Sledge likes this.
  13. woznme

woznme Member

I'm very happy with my shun classic knives

14. Ripley

Ripley Member

There's 5 knives in that set. How many of them do you actually use? Which ones could you happily do without?

15. argent

argent Member

Need to be really careful with Shun edges - they can chip very easily. Sweet as knives though!

PS: Mine's also a Wusthof household. I got the cheaper Grand Prix II set though. The block set came with:
    - Chefs knife
    - Bread knife
    - Paring knife
    - 16cm mini knife (I use this mostly for deboning)
    - Shears
    - Steel

I actually use all the items in the set for various kitchen duties.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  16. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yes they do. Because they're very thin towards the edge and very hard, thus brittle. German knives like Wustof actually doesn't chip as easily because they're thicker and softer. Ofcourse when I say softer I don't mean soft like it's foam. That'd be stupid. Softer comparison to Japanese knives on rockwell scale. It's still made of steel after all not like it's made of lead.

17. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

My knives are cheap and always go through the dishwasher. Something which is very unlikely to change.
    I have a Victorinox or two that are probably about 20+ years old (now that I think about it!) as well as random Kostur and Mundial knives. I honestly don't remember the last time I bought a knife so they are all at least 10-15 years old now.
    I have a Chefs Choice 450 pull through sharpener which is probably 15 years old... do these things need to be replaced?

I do have a Lansky sharpening kit that I bought years ago and just couldn't get the hang of using. I watched videos and tried but I couldn't ever get anywhere close to the "what this knife cut falling silk" sort of sharpness others could manage! Hell, paper often was a challenge! I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Eg I can't get anything like what is shown here.

There is probably three knives that get regular use, unsurprisingly all 21cm chef's knives I use for everything. Two of them are currently sharp enough (although not like the video linked) to use, one needs a good sharpen.

I've been contemplating if taking them to someone would be worth the effort to get them sharpened, or if getting something like the Chef's Choice sharpener you suggested would be the easy solution.

The Chefs Choice 120 is about $340 from a bunch of places which have at least an outside chance of still being around for warranty (should it ever be needed).
    https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/null-c...c-knife-sharpener-model-120-pro-white-s00500/
    https://www.catch.com.au/product/ch...=4&asp=4&aqi=beb890687613d451335149c04c5e8946
    https://www.hookedonline.com.au/professional-120-diamond-hone-knife-sharpener

Or for $311 from some rando eBay store:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHEFS-C...OSwvBRgRtpZ:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!3137!AU!-1

Very tempting.

18. caspian

caspian Member

I don't put my good knives through the dishwasher. it's perfectly possible to space them out so they don't get damaged through physical contact, but the handles would be stuffed as a result.

those draw through hones are well short of ideal, but if the operator isn't confident using something more capable (no offence intended) then they're less likely to result in a buggered blade.

19. Ripley

Ripley Member

I don't even wash mine in the sink. They get used, they get wiped clean, they go back in the wooden knife block. Between that and a steel, they stay sharp.

20. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

None taken. The electric machines look pretty idiot-proof and from what I am reading is great for those that can't or won't spend the time to master a whetstone and still want good results.