Knife sharpener options?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xc351, May 11, 2019.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

I've got a fair collection of knifes nothing over the top mora, kershaw, gerber, ka-bar fighting knifes and cold steel. Nothing 2 crazy all good utity knifes.
    Kitchen knifes are kiwi and barco mora.

I use a basic guided sharpner system think poor man's lansky 3 stone system.

Thinking of getting a lansky 5 deluxe set with a extra 2000 grit. Unless there is a better simpler system.

I don't have the patience or skill to use wet stones.

2. apsilon

apsilon Member

There's the Edgepro systems. I have one, never used the Lansky so can't give you a comparison.

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

There is the multi-tool sharpener you can buy from Bunnings for $25. Does chisel, scissors, knives and drill bits. But you have to really know how to sharpen your knife without taking too much out. Which is why I still stick to waterstones.

firey4059 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Shaving you arm hairs isnt what I'd call sharp. That's my cut off for serviceable.

Again it's all about what the knifes used for. I really reccomened you grab a decebt $100ish pocket knife any try that will blow your mind.

Mora and kershaw are great low budget knifes to look into. Hell even the kershaw shuffle are $20 and great. I have several for openening parcels and general smaller dutys.

I have knifes that will trim your hair eg drag knife 2mm above arm and trimming hair that long.

I looked at the edge pro but it's 1-2k for decent setup. But do like the idea of a guided set up.

Doing them by hand on a normal wet stone isnt my thing either.

5. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

You seem serious enough about sharpening to justify buying a good quality kit. I'd take a look into the KME - it's a well regarded guided system amongst knife enthusiasts and essentially a lansky on steroids: https://www.kmesharp.com/kmeknshsy.html

Have a look at some videos and do your own research as all the guided systems usually have their limitations especially when it comes to larger knives >20cm. But it's probably the system I'd pick if it wasn't for the aussie dollar being so low at the moment, especially with the shipping costs from KME which are a killer. With that kit the general consensus is take your knives up to 1500 grit, then the arkansas stone, followed by the kangaroo strop with the 4 micron emulsion, which is all included the deluxe kit. From what I've seen it should get the nicely polished hair popping razor's edge you're looking for with a system similar to a one you're already used to but more ergonomic and precise. If you really start going down the rabbit hole seeking perfect mirror finishes then you can start getting into the lapping films.

6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Edge faux (edge pro apex clones) are a cheap option at around $50 then get better stones. The nicest one I've used is the wicked edge but it's pricey.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. Jazper

Jazper Member

As someone who has done this as a side gig. Get a 1000/4000 water stone from eBay (circa $35), get a Belgian blue water stone (circa $50) and get a Chinese 12000. Those should get you going

8. caspian

caspian Member

agree with both. with the arse out of the exchange rate the real deal is getting pretty expensive, spend the cash saved on stones.

9. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

How would this compare to the Lansky setup? Price, time spent, ease of use?

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

11. Recharge

Recharge Member

I got one of these
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...700.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dyTRnaM

then I bought some better diamond inserts as the stones that come with these are pretty lack luster, they worked fine, but are soft and wear down FAST, the diamond ones last a LOT longer.

still takes patience and time, there is no quick way to sharpen a knife that doesn't ear the blade down in a very nasty way.

edit, and you DO need to watch several videos to learn how to use it properly.
    bad habits are east to start with these things.

12. Jazper

Jazper Member

Price would be about the same, time spent would be about the same. It would be marginally harder to get going in the first place, but you'd be able to do a lot more with it.

If you're looking for easy, then it's worth investing in a spyderco sharpmaker and a set of diamond rods for it. IMO it's the cheapest, simplest and best way to get started.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Akh-Horus likes this.