Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Ravennoir, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Everyone,

I have a very nice Global knife which I was given as a present, but it is getting a bit dull and I need to get it sharpened

Im hopeless at sharpening, so I dont wont to stuff the knife

Can anyone recommend anywhere that will do it for me?

2. armers

armers Member

Your local butcher should be happy to do it for you if you want just honed in with a steel... if you want a new edge on it king of knives do it.. otherwise plenty of mobile sharpeners on the road.

I attack mine with a steel each time i use them and get a pro edge put on it once a year with a mobile guy i use... Im in the east if you want his number.

Cheers

3. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Im east(ish) also, whats the normal cost for him to come out ?

4. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Where in Melb are you?

I have only heard good things about Chef's Armoury in Richmond - but I believe they only do Japanese steel.

edit - also, when I go to the Black Rock Rotary market there is a dude set up there with a knife sharpening service :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. armers

armers Member

Cant remember its been a while since i've used him... i want to say less then 10 a blade... but when i do it i've got about 5 i get done + my old mans + my mother inlaws, so he gets about 10 knives done when he's here.

Cheers

6. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah looks like they do only do the japanese knifes, some of those knife look awesome though :)

7. scon

scon Member

You should buy a steel & stone and learn to do it yourself. Will cost you about 3 x the cost of getting it done by someone else but you can then sharpen every single knife you own for the rest of your life.

8. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

if u have global as u say, then just buy the minosharp ceramic sharpeners. i have the 2 disc unit, and my brother has the 3 disc unit. either one is fine.
    its a simple and quick way to sharpen ur knives for daily use, u can always take it to get professionally sharpened, but at least u have something at home to give it a few passes to sharpen it up

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

yep, i recommend this.. i bought my one from Amazon a while ago and it's pretty straight forward how to use it (there's plenty of youtube videos that show you how to do it)

10. Revenge

Revenge Member

Lansky

Near impossible to stuff it up unless you are a complete idiot...

Dr1fty likes this.
  11. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I use an edgefaux (edge pro clone). Cost me about $30 with a few stones. I find it very good for my needs. I use Tojiro knives btw.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  12. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

They used to sharpen western knives also... probably got sick of soing shit knives and having the person complain when it is blunt a month later

they actually do classes on knife sharpening which i've done and i can tell you now, my knives at home are bloody sharp till my wife gets to them :shock:

There are plenty of knife sharpening kits that will do a good job with minimal chance to stuff up though, otherwise pay someone else and hope they dont screw your knife.

I've heard horror story on knife sharpening where things like half a cm of metal disappears in the process

13. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah thats the issue, I dont want to stuff it up if I do it myself :D

14. connico

connico Member

Agree, lansky is the shit for easy to do sharpening. Will even enable you to create a custom edge angle which is pretty cool.

15. mmBax

mmBax Member

I've got one of these but I wouldn't recommend it. It's okay. But it definitely doesn't give you a fine edge.

I've since jumped over to giving them a quick run over some whetstones every month or two and am a lot happier.

16. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Just bought the deluxe 5 stone kit :)

Dr1fty likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Let us know how you find it, I might look into one of these if they are "fool" proof

18. Revenge

Revenge Member

I've got the Professional 5 stone kit... didn't see as much need for the coarse stone as I have for the triangular one to clean up my serrated blades.

Have the 'Super Sapphire Stone' coming... 2000 grit, should get a nice edge on some of my better blades.

19. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I got myself a minosharp to see how it goes

20. Revenge

Revenge Member

Never had a lot of faith in 'pull through' sharpeners.. I reckon a close up of the edge would reveal a lot of linear scratching and lines..
    That said... still better than cutting with a blunt knife and whinging about it..

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016