Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Ravennoir, Feb 17, 2016.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

This guy taught me. I use these.

[​IMG]

And I have a 5k stone, a strop (on a block of wood) now as well.

2. no5isalive

no5isalive Member

Im looking at getting the Lansky setup. Where are people buying their lansky sets from and which pack?

3. caspian

caspian Member

4. pelmen

pelmen Member

Completely agree. I used to do the "ceremony" with my Lansky kit but it gathers dust. I've got my rythm with the stones and find thats plenty to look after my knives and re-edge friends. Its relaxing and comfortable and dont have to pay too much attention anymore. Just practice and the feel comes to you and I have well bedded in pocket stones I can pull out anytime and just sharpen on

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

6. caspian

caspian Member

crock-stick sharpeners can be quite good, especially this one with the diamond rods. you only get one sharpening angle (the idea is the keep the blade vertical as an easy point of reference) but it does give you a quick and reproducible result at reasonable cost. https://www.knifesupplies.com.au/lansky-4-rod-turn-box-crock-stick-knife-sharpener~1044

really budget solution is a fingertip pull-through, and they're not a toy at all - I keep several around the place for quick touch-ups. https://www.knifesupplies.com.au/accusharp-sharpneasy-two-step-sharpener

7. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

I've got one of the gen 1 Ruixin Pro things at home that does a very decent job, however I recently tried being lazy and bought a Global minosharp 3-wheel pull through....garbage. Absolute garbage.

8. caspian

caspian Member

the Ruixin Pro is modelled on the Edge Pro, not that the idea is particularly revolutionary (and I read that their patent expired in 2007, so it's fair game for anyone that wants to make a clone). the anoraks on the assorted blade forums seem to regard them well enough for the price.

pull-through things are knife fuckers, for housewives for still miss their old Wiltshire Staysharp. for added fuckering capacity, I was quite delighted recently when an acquaintance (not a friend) bought one of the powered variety. you've never seen someone completely destroy a knife so quickly.

as a suggestion if you want a small improvement hack for the Ruixin Pro, get a small neodymium magnet and fit it underneath the blade platform, so it helps clamp the blade flat during sharpening.

~Spyne~ likes this.
  9. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

Got one of those Ruixin sharpeners based on the recommendations for about $35 and it works a treat, much less effort required and better/more consistent results than just eye balling it on a whetstone. I also got a leather strop to finish with and it seems to help a bit. I found that I only need to go up to a 600 or maybe a 800 for a fairly usable blade.

Previously also tried an Aldi electric sharpening grindstone (way too harsh, maybe OK for reshouldering?), Chef's Choice pull through sharpener (poor results and rusted quickly), these fold out finger looking things (useless), and a bunch of others. Wish I knew about this one earlier!

Thanks for the heads up all.

10. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I just did a quick search and found amazon AU have them for $19.99 (https://www.amazon.com.au/Sharpening-RUIXIN-Sharpener-Generation-Professional/dp/B0782R1LDK)

Might have to pick one of these up

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've got an aging set of Global knives that have been treated pretty poorly, Is it worth getting them properly sharpened, at this point there are some pretty decent sized nicks taken out of the blade, can this be ground out and re-sharpened, or should I opqt for a new set, and resign these to hack-work?

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Do you have a knife block (somewhere to store them to reduce the likelihood of nicks in the future)? I have 30 year old knives still going strong because of good storage.

It depends where the nicks are and how large - only so much resurfacing can be undertaken. If you get a good knife block (proper storage), understand how the nicks occurred and address that behavior then a professional reshaping/surfacing and sharpening would be meaningful and cheaper.

13. caspian

caspian Member

you'll pay about $20-25 for reshaping of a medium to large kitchen knife. that's cheaper than buying new, even though I am not a fan of Global.

prevention > cure, agreed.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've got a knife block, The nicks are from mistreatment and improper use (hacking frozen meat and/or bones, as well as 'throwing' the knives into the sink prior to washing) There will still be a need for the former, but the latter has been dealt with.

15. connico

connico Member

How deep are the nick? If they are tiny then yes it would be worth a resharpen. If they are very deep like between 1-2mm then I wouldnt bother since you'll be removing a lot of the original edge and then would need to re-profile... This is a lot and effort resulting in an expensive resharpening exercise.

16. caspian

caspian Member

a cheapish cleaver is your friend for things like cracking bones. get one of the thickish ones that can deliver a decent whack, not a delicate slicing cleaver.

the_fuzz likes this.
  17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

+1.............

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I always leave mine on the board until prep/cooking has finished and then hand wash (normally when I have a free moment during the cooking) and onto dish rack.

19. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

The kit I got is similar to this one - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171804767786
    It has the big suction cup which seems quite sturdy compared to the older tripod system and the adjustable base angle (with the lower of the two rods at the back). The preset angles for the blade are also colour coded which is handy. Some kits also include the squirter bottle, marker pen and microfibre cloth for convenience.

20. caspian

caspian Member

got my magnet yesterday, after three weeks of shenanigans culminating with Australia Post admitting they have lost yet another parcel, and having to order another one. a 20mm diameter, 10mm thick magnet fits perfectly under the deck of mine, held in place with a dot of silicone. makes it a lot easier to keep larger blades flat across the platform when working left-handed.